Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Even after taking in a million migrants, Germany has nearly 700000 open job vacancies

http://qz.com/825763/even-after-taki...job-vacancies/

At this point, it’s almost as if Germany is showing off. The unemployment rate in Europe’s most robust economy dropped to 6% last month, according to the Federal Employment Agency. That’s the lowest level since the reunification of East and West 25 years ago. Germany’s mighty manufacturing machine is humming.

Andrea Nahles, the federal minister for employment, had Germany’s harsh winter on her mind when she welcomed the latest jobs figures, calling them “a real ray of light at the start of this dark season.” Economically, if not meteorologically, conditions are particularly sunny for sectors like catering, construction, retail, and healthcare.

The government expects the number of people with jobs in the country to reach a record of nearly 44 million this year (out of a population of 82 million). When measured using a standardized international methodology, Germany’s unemployment rate is just above 4%, lower than almost every other country in the G7.

The government expects the jobless to shrink even further this year and next. It’s not hard to see why: advertised job vacancies have been continuously setting new records. Last month, unfilled positions rose to nearly 700,000.

The strength of the labor market is more remarkable considering that Germany took in 890,000 asylum seekers last year, and more than 210,000 so far this year, the majority of whom require state support until they are able to find a job. This is reflected in the number of underemployed people, which ticked up by 34,000 in October versus a year ago, mostly accounted for by these recent arrivals.

The finance ministry has earmarked an extra €3.8 billion ($4.2 billion) for the rest of the year to help migrants get jobs. The strong demand for workers in factories and retail stores is good news in this regard, as some migrants are unskilled and others have qualifications that may not be accepted for certain professions. It’s not much of an exaggeration to say, however, that swiftly finding suitable work for such a huge influx of migrants might be the toughest test of Germany’s job-making machine since the Wall came down.
    The country that is leading Europe in the response to the refugee crisis also has record low unemployment rates. I figured as much but it's good to finally see some reliable data on the matter. I can only hope that more countries follow Germany's lead.

700 000 job vacancies is a lot!
    Last edited by Tennis; 2016-11-13 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Honestly, when I saw your title, I thought you were making a completely different point: that even though Germany has taken in a bunch of people, its giving none of them jobs. You probably could have used a much less ambiguous title

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Canada will follow their example

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Honestly, when I saw your title, I thought you were making a completely different point: that even though Germany has taken in a bunch of people, its giving none of them jobs. You probably could have used a much less ambiguous title
    The notion of immigrants and refugees takings jobs is clearly untrue. With good leadership, Germany has been able to prosper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait

is it 70,000 or 700,000?

Deleted
    So basically, the news is telling that the refugees aren't getting jobs in Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Refugees in Gemany are barely working, it is something like 30,000 in total as of last month, with "a quarter of employed refugees were working on temporary contracts. Many had menial jobs as janitors or as security guards."

So the refugees aren't doing much to change the unemployment rate in Germany. Do they actually get calculated into it? Or is it 4% unemployed citizens + refugees?

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    So basically, the news is telling that the refugees aren't getting jobs in Germany.
    Well, a part of them is not allowed to work. The laws concerning this were changed recently but are still quite restrictive. And some employers do not want to take them because of the risk that they will be deported after they were teached how to do the job. That would be a loss of time and money for the employer.

The challenge is to get refugees into work. Learning the language and getting the education they need to do the jobs, as stated in the article.
    I have no idea how well Germany handle this but a few other countries are doing a horrible job at this.

I doubt most people are against immigrants but when your goverment seems to just let people in and then forget about them it frustrates both the native population and the immigrants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Renyo View Post
    Well, a part of them is not allowed to work. The laws concerning this were changed recently but are still quite restrictive. And some employers do not want to take them because of the risk that they will be deported after they were teached how to do the job. That would be a loss of time and money for the employer.
    Yep, I know. It's something that Tennisace doesn't seem to understand, that the refugees aren't allowed to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Wait

is it 70,000 or 700,000?
    700 K from what I've read. Quite a lot!
    Germany definitely needs more labour.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Do you know what kind of labor?

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't tally with the article you linked, which says Germany has record low unemployment rates.

Low unemploment rates means additional labour is not needed as much, not that more is needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That doesn't tally with the article you linked, which says Germany has record low unemployment rates.

Low unemploment rates means additional labour is not needed as much, not that more is needed.
    Read the article. It clearly says unfilled positions are around 700K.

You clearly need to understand how unemployment rates are measured.

Deleted
    Read the article. It clearly says unfilled positions are around 700K.

You clearly need to understand how unemployment rates are measured.
    Yet, not one word about how many refugees are counted or if those jobs are or not specialized.

That's why what Kalis said is absolutely correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet, not one word about how many refugees are counted or if those jobs are or not specialized.
    True. But there is nothing wrong with us making educated inferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So the refugees aren't doing much to change the unemployment rate in Germany. Do they actually get calculated into it? Or is it 4% unemployed citizens + refugees?
    It's 4% unemployment among residents (people with established legal residency in Germany with a Social Security number) + Refugees. Most refugees don't qualify for residency which is a different thing than a protected refugee status.

Also much of those unfilled job postings are of the technical kind that most refugees wouldn't be able to fill anyway. Tennisball knows this, he is just being a disingenuous little cunt as usual.

Deleted
    True. But there is nothing wrong with us making educated inferences.
    Then your opening title is misleading and false.

Those jobs are likely in extremely specialized sectors that take years of training. That or they pay the minimum wage.

There is not a abundance of jobs paying a living wage like that. At least not without educational or training requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then your opening title is misleading and false.
    The title is the same as the article's title. Don't be petty.