Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How was your 2016 thus far?

well, i know that there're at least 6 weeks left of this year, but it's a good time to look back to it. well, at least for me it was very terrible, starting for a personal POV (i broke up with my GF, i failed a course on last semester) to a global POV from my standpoint.
    and how it was to you?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Jon Oliver summed up my views pretty well in last night's closing. Apologies for the quality, it's the only one I know that's available to everyone;

Cubs won. So good, no matter what else happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

It was actually probably the worst year of my adult life. Lot of crappy experiences and generally bad luck as a whole. Two times my pet was nearly killed, several financial issues, lots of division and drama within the family, a pretty big hurricane scare and a few other things I'm missing.

I'm not going to look back on 2016 fondly, that's for sure. Thank god once it's gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shitty all around. On a personal level, I had to break up with a wonderful girl because she couldn't get a work visa to stay in the country, and had to move back to Argentina. I compounded that error by telling her I didn't think I was in love with her (which I thought was true at the time, but now I'm pretty sure I was). I survived layoffs that cut our total staff by 70%, got promoted, and got a fairly significant raise, but with that came a whole hell of a lot more responsibility and I'm really unsure if it was worth it. My company's industry continues to suffer. It might have been nice to use a layoff as an excuse to work on switching to a new industry.

And then of course, a horrible election with an awful result, plus Brexit, Duterte, and generally more anxiety, nativism, and anger in the world this year.

It's kind of sad, my father died in 2015, and I left that year behind hoping things would be better. It's nice that my father didn't die this year I guess, but he's still dead, and the world seems to be crashing into the shitter.

2016 can't be over soon enough. Let's hope that the Trump Presidency in 2017 is less of a dumpster fire than his candidacy was.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Shitty all around. On a personal level, I had to break up with a wonderful girl because she couldn't get a work visa to stay in the country, and had to move back to Argentina. I compounded that error by telling her I didn't think I was in love with her (which I thought was true at the time, but now I'm pretty sure I was)...

2016 can't be over soon enough. Let's hope that the Trump Presidency in 2017 is less of a dumpster fire than his candidacy was.
    well, my ex gf is currently with another guy, and he was her best friend or something during our relationship.
    so yeah, for me this year cannot end soon enough
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Up and down. Finished my Masters, haven't gotten anything but an independent contractor work thing yet. Lost 25 lbs. Got asked to speak at a national conference call for HAZUS. Got a bf, got broken up with by said bf. I turned 30. One of my dogs passed away 3 days ago.

So...eh. Could be worse. 2013 was about 1000x worse.

Trump won. Great way to end the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically unemployed for 6 months and now moved to Denmark for a masters.

But hey, Portugal won the EuroCup for the 1st time, which was nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, so let's see.

My grandmother died, my uncle killed himself with acid and sleeping pills.

I was diagnosed with GAD at the start of the year and was put off work for roughly three months.

Left my job that was supposed to be my dream job because it was shitty as hell. Honestly, thumbs up to anyone who has been able to stay in the industry for longer than a few years. I don't know how you do.

Decided to go back to college, lasted one week before I realize I was just wasting time, so I left there too.

I also never had any relationship in my life and it's not because I look bad or - even though I'm stubborn as hell - my personality. I just never go out.

On the flip side, I started my own company. I did a project that lasted roughly two months and sold over twenty copies and was put on the spotlight within the unreal marketplace.

I also started working on my first indie game, of which I am working on right now.

I applied and was accepted in computer sciences at University, which will be very different from the 3D art I'm used to do.

I have a strong group of friends that support me through this and my GAD is much less intimidating than it was six months ago.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty meh.

Nothing very bad, nothing very good. Pretty much the same as every year since I was 12.

Very chill tbh. Uni has been a bit boring save for comp-sci which is harder than I imagined. Recently broke with the gf, but we are still great friends and she still gives me rides in her car. Aside from that I have plans to visit the family on December, so quite a contrast there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went back to Comcast after a stint with Disney. Spent about a month in Rio. Otherwise, pretty uneventful.

Not the year I thought it'd be. Left a previously big part of my life completely, picked up a new hobby, learned quite a bit about family and friends, or lack thereof. I feel old, tired, and hope next year is better.

Better than the last few years. Nobody I know died.

Decidedly better than 2015, that's for sure. Not that it was the best year of my life. However when I compare the lows of 2015 to 2016, 2015 is lower. When I compare the highs of 2015 to 2016... they're about even.

And this is coming from a guy who had to flee his hometown two and a half days after returning from Winter Semester due to a raging forest fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Deleted
    Spend a good part of the year prepping for another position, and maintaining my normal job on the side of that have been quite strenuous. But overall it has been quite good like the previous years

I am at the point in life baring a lotto win or horrible tragedy, that its all about the same year to year.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    and she still gives me rides in her car.
    Does she now?

Yea definately one of the shittiest years for me thus far, from the deaths of all those greats, to financial issues, to work related issues, brexit, trump...meh. Enough already.