Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Opposite of that thing is exactly what made Blizzard's Alarak from LotV so memorable. Fighting for a good cause so hard that even good guys are scared of him. Got the job done anyway in the end.
    Space magic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Owl View Post
    The whole "Without Void, there is no Light"-Stuff only proofs that whoever writes for Blizzard is a moron. You don't need evil for good to exist or vice versa.
    No offense meant, but you sound very simple-minded.

If we killed off everything considered evil at an instant, could we consider ourselves good? Since, you know,... there's would be no scale or anything to compare ourselves to anymore.
    Yes, written things are not always as straight-forward and simple some people read them.

Deleted
    The answer to the original question is quite simple really.

Blizzard wants the player to be the bad ass champion of the light ... Desperately trying to get illadin back, so he can take over from you and send you on a vacation to the next expancion.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know. I've seen quite a few good guys in WoW pulling it off (Anduin in the comic with how he dealt with the Dreadlord, Tirion, etc) - but that being said I'm just getting tired of how the bad guys are being done lately, not just in WoW but overall. Right now I feel the bad guys who clearly know they ARE evil and they just take delight in it, is a welcome change of breath to me.

As for the paladins stuff: they can be. And I certainly felt the Blood Knights were but considering Blizzard wants to remove their identity and just blend them together with the other paladins, it does make them less so. But still, try imagine a Paladin wielding a two-handed mace and waking towards you while wearing Tier 2, Judgmet - "the faceless aspect of justice".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n7stormreaver View Post
    Opposite of that thing is exactly what made Blizzard's Alarak from LotV so memorable. Fighting for a good cause so hard that even good guys are scared of him. Got the job done anyway in the end.
    Uhm, Alarak was never a good guy to begin with.

He is high-functioning sociopath who happen to be fighting for good guys because their goal is basically the same, but for very different reasons. He wasn't really trying to stop Amon from wiping out Protoss, Terran and Zerg. He felt betrayed because Tal'darim sought to become hybrid and stand with Amon, but Amon simply wanted to use them as cannon fodder in his mission. During whole story of LotV, Alarak was mocking everybody for their beliefs, but he had respect for their battle prowess and determination. However once all was done, he refused alliance with rest of Protoss.

Alarak is such good character because he is cold, ruthless, pragmatic, determined, smart and quite playful character. If he was lacking his unique sense of humor, he would be another 'edgelord' character and not as popular.

With that being said, I think he is the best character Blizzard done in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    No offense meant, but you sound very simple-minded.

If we killed off everything considered evil at an instant, could we consider ourselves good? Since, you know,... there's would be no scale or anything to compare ourselves to anymore.
    Yes, written things are not always as straight-forward and simple some people read them.
    If we consider Evil acts that damage the wellbeings of others, then yeah, if we would kill off everything that damages the wellbeing of others and than stop hurting people, we could consider ourselves good, as we killed everything that could harm people. What you mean is being better. To be good we only need one definition what is considered good and what is considered evil, we don't need people who are actually evil, just like the People of Azeroth wouldn't need people who use the Void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    The whole "Without Void, there is no Light"-Stuff only proofs that whoever writes for Blizzard is a moron. You don't need evil for good to exist or vice versa.
    Well, in the Warcraft universe that's pretty much the case, simply because the physical existence is the result of Void and Light.

If we consider Evil acts that damage the wellbeings of others, then yeah, if we would kill off everything that damages the wellbeing of others and than stop hurting people, we could consider ourselves good, as we killed everything that could harm people.
    If it was that easy our planet should be filled with nothing but "good people" by decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

You're looking at it the wrong way. It's a matter of style. The light is about buffs and sharing power and supporting each other. The dark is about concentration of power. 10,000 troops each giving their neighbors within 8 ft +2 is more powerful than each giving himself +5.

10+ Year Old Account
    highlord alexandros mograine wants a word with you, furthermore, your idea of what constitutes "badass" and what the reality of the word means are 2 very different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    And he's the kind of Person who would sell his people out any time if he could archive peace.
    His recent short-comic pretty much denies this assumption.

He's not a diplomat, he's the moron everybody could take adventage of.
    He's a kid. Ofcourse kids do stupid shit before maturing into something better. And he paid the price of his naivety by taking a whole gigantic bell on his body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witte View Post
    The answer to the original question is quite simple really.

Blizzard wants the player to be the bad ass champion of the light ... Desperately trying to get illadin back, so he can take over from you and send you on a vacation to the next expancion.
    *packing my bags*
    * leave weapon behind*
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

His recent short-comic pretty much denies this assumption.

He's a kid. Ofcourse kids do stupid shit before maturing into something better. And he paid the price of his naivety by taking a whole gigantic bell on his body.
    Anduin is the last person who had to pay any price for his mistakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Uhm, Alarak was never a good guy to begin with.

He is high-functioning sociopath who happen to be fighting for good guys because their goal is basically the same, but for very different reasons. He wasn't really trying to stop Amon from wiping out Protoss, Terran and Zerg. He felt betrayed because Tal'darim sought to become hybrid and stand with Amon, but Amon simply wanted to use them as cannon fodder in his mission. During whole story of LotV, Alarak was mocking everybody for their beliefs, but he had respect for their battle prowess and determination. However once all was done, he refused alliance with rest of Protoss.

Alarak is such good character because he is cold, ruthless, pragmatic, determined, smart and quite playful character. If he was lacking his unique sense of humor, he would be another 'edgelord' character and not as popular.

With that being said, I think he is the best character Blizzard done in a long time.
    In a sense I think Alarak was pure and dedicated to his 'faith'. From galactic perspective Amon was right and his followers holy. They remind me of Scarlet Crusade, sure they might wipe out pretty much great many people but in the end they are doing it for the sake of something that will last forever. Someone can say that it was a small price in the grand scale of things.

I think he was that one 'holy man' in the final installment. I see him as I see Noah.

- - - Updated - - -

without big evil, there would be a small one, petty things would be considered as it and with time new big evil would rise. as children, we put our fingers in hot and cold places for a reason, to learn, to see difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Mee View Post
    In a sense I think Alarak was pure and dedicated to his 'faith'. From galactic perspective Amon was right and his followers holy. They remind me of Scarlet Crusade, sure they might wipe out pretty much great many people but in the end they are doing it for the sake of something that will last forever. Someone can say that it was a small price in the grand scale of things.

I think he was that one 'holy man' in the final installment. I see him as I see Noah.
    Tal'darim are very different to Scarlet Crusade.

Their society is a dictatorship where everybody has to bow to will of current Highlord. Alarak doesn't care what his people think, all that matters to him is they obey his orders. It is also based around survival of the fittest where one can move up in rank by killing those above him, they call it a Chain of Ascension. Alarak had to kill Ma'lash in order to 'ascend' and he had no problem with manipulating Artanis into killing his potential future foes, solidifying his position even more. He is also known to send forces on suicide missions to get rid of the weak.

As I said, Alarak is not a nice guy blinded by devotion to his belief. He is no stranger to machiavellianism and completely ruthless in execution.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anduin is the last person who had to pay any price for his mistakes.
    Care to elaborate?

Also. It is true. Anduin was a naive child back in WoD. It was naive because he actually believed that he could achieve peace talking with warrior. But he learned from it. That's why his portrayal in the comic is so good. Because it shows maturity and development as a character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Tal'darim are very different to Scarlet Crusade.

Their society is a dictatorship where everybody has to bow to will of current Highlord. Alarak doesn't care what his people think, all that matters to him is they obey his orders. It is also based around survival of the fittest where one can move up in rank by killing those above him, they call it a Chain of Ascension. Alarak had to kill Ma'lash in order to 'ascend' and he had no problem with manipulating Artanis into killing his potential future foes, solidifying his position even more. He is also known to send forces on suicide missions to get rid of the weak.

As I said, Alarak is not a nice guy blinded by devotion to his belief. He is no stranger to machiavellianism and completely ruthless in execution.
    In a sense it is a meritocracy. Blinded, probably not, be he still is a believer, if not for the truth he learned, who knows, maybe he would Amon to the end. Well, at least he would try to scend above him. I see him as someone who values strong both of mind and power

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Care to elaborate?

Also. It is true. Anduin was a naive child back in WoD. It was naive because he actually believed that he could achieve peace talking with warrior. But he learned from it. That's why his portrayal in the comic is so good. Because it shows maturity and development as a character.
    Anduin got crashd by an big bell and then immediatly healed by the most powerful priest of Azeroth to the point of full recovery. So yeah, he had a little bit pain,but that's it. But what's with the people ho had to suffer because of Anduins bad decisions? The Valley of eternal Blossoms will probably stay destroyed and corrupted for generations, the members of the golden Lotus and the Shado Pan who died proctecting it will stay dead. And because he lacked the balls to let Garrosh be poisoned, everyone had to suffer the war agains the Iron Horde and as a consequence the current Legion Invasion.

And everyone on the Azeroth of the Warlord of Draenor-Timeline has to die.

Good Job being a neutral douchebag, Hero!

And I have to admit, I maybe would like Anduin after the Comic better, if the writer wouldn't have been so stupid to show us future Anduin, stripping us from every excitement of not knowing what will come next for him. Anduin will stay Anduin, his personality will never develop into some unexpected direction, everything will end fine for him, he will have his coming out as gay. I don't like Sylvanas, but even she is a better and more exciting character than Anduin right now, as we don't know in which direction her story will lead.

7+ Year Old Account

Good Job being a neutral douchebag, Hero!
    Quote of the day
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

I actually want to see more of an antithesis to the Scarlet Crusade if anything.
    After what happens in Legion there should be a group of Paladins who should be pissed that no matter how devoted they are to the Light, they still get screwed over. Thinking blind devotion to the Light as a weakness they focus more on honing their own bodies, craft more technologically advanced weapons, abandoning religion in favor of Science and tech and become a force that is powerful through their own means, rejecting the notion of worshipping outside deities anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    The LG thing doesn't really apply anymore with newer editions generally doing away with the paladin alignment requirement. The best paladins are NG anyway. They'll generally follow the law but when it gets in the way of doing good they disregard it. This is why Tirion in Of Blood and Honor is the best example of a decently written Warcraft paladin. When he was faced with the classic paladin trap of to be lawful or to do good he chose the eternally correct answer of do good.