Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I would rather see them add a bunch of specs to existing classes than shoehorn another class into the game. That idea just begs for homogenisation(only so many raid spots) and you end up with a glut of one class every time.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I had an idea for a different kind of caster some years back: Aetherealist (spelling?), a caster drawing magic out of the air around him.

Basically based on beacons/wards/totems(if you want to use something already in the game) that you place down. They do an AoE type like effect which is either strongest at base and fading outwards or the other way around (so you can get a long range or close combat caster).
    Two beacons can be joined for a line/wall effect.
    Three+ beacons can be joined for an area/field effect.
    The beacon effects can be damage/healing/utility like other magic, and they can be part of frost/fire/earth/arcane/holy/physical/whatnot schools.
    The number of ticks a beacon lasts and if it can be targeted I haven't thought about, it could be a mix (like a single-tick beacon would be the same as an instant cast).
    Since this is basically target-agnostic, it might have to require a target when placing a beacon for aggro reasons , have a specific aggro beacon, or give the odd regular ranged casting attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    Problem with Tinker is it'd probably be tied to Goblin/Gnome content, or probably 2 of the least popular races. And the whole Legion probably forcing Blizz down the hero class only route for future expansions.

I can see why some would want it, but it kinda feels too much like making Engineering a class.
    If you take my mechanic/sapper/alchemist suggestion, nice thematic races would also include forsaken, trolls and dwarven at the least. And well, alchemy and engineering are long established proffesssions which have been avaiable to all races, so I dont think tinker as a class would feel as intrusive being taken by a race like a tauren, as would be the case for non elf-demon hunters.

I get the concept, but ehhhhhh. Seems more finicky than fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    What we currently need is new MAIL class. Just look yourself - 3 cloth 4 leather 3 plate and only 2 mail users classes. Blizzard missed opportunity to release Warden class when Legion hits. Its would match so good this expansion. Warden - mail user class with Tank spec based on avoidance damage (dodge and parry) + melee and ranged DPS specs.

About others classes what needs 4th spec:

1 - Warriors. SnS dps spec like Gladiator was.

2 - Death Knights. They REALLY need some SnS spec. Plate wearing class without spec that use shields? COME ON.

3 - Monks. They really need RDPS spec.

4 - Rogues. Tank spec. Like really. Back in TBC rogues was good choice to tank Grul.

5 - Warlocks. Some ranged TANK spec. Back in same TBC mages could tank some casters bosses. Locks the most tankiest cloth caster and idea of caster range tank is too interesting to leave it.

6 - Priest/Paladin. One of this guys should get ranged DPS spec based on Light magic.

7 - Mages. Healing spec based on blood magic. Something like shadow priest back in vanilla who had aoe healing through damaging mobs.

Blizz would still try to tie it to some Gnome/Goblin content tbh, like Demon Hunters were tied to the return of the Legion, or Monks to Pandaria, or DK/Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    If you made it, it surely would be. A competent game maker, like Bethesda, on the other hand...
    Yeah, Bethesda have truly been crushing it with their games recently

Doom is the only one worth mentioning.
    Fallout 4 was thoroughly underwhelming.
    Dishonored 2 hasn't had a great reception on PC.
    Their only decent recent release is releasing Skyrim again. Which everyone had anyway on PC.

A hunter? We have'em.
    A range class using a gun/bow isn't exclusively a Hunter. The same way a class that uses a two handed axe isn't exclusively a Warrior.

As long as wannabe tinkerers can't resist the desire to bark at proponents of other new classes, I somehow don't see their wish getting fulfilled any time soon.
    I have seen plenty of unique ideas for Tinkerers - some far more unique than Blizzard have come up with themselves for new classes. Death Coil and Metamorphosis? Super unique Blizz. Two highly mobile, agility based, leather classes. Even more original.

WoW death knights were developed from Arthas, monks from Chen, demon hunters from Illidan. Blizzard trying to make something comparable from Mekkatorque/Thermaplugg would be quite enjoyable to watch.
    There are more Tinkerers/Engineering classes in the game than just those two.
    Last edited by willtron; 2016-11-15 at 04:20 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    No Bard. Shouting people to death is stupid.
    In their tongue, he is dovakhin...
    ...I'll shout myself *FUS RO DAH!*

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley1 View Post
    In their tongue, he is dovakhin...
    ...I'll shout myself *FUS RO DAH!*
    And I thought that whole gimmick in Skyrim was dumb. I never used it unless I had to. Shouting at a Dragon to rend his soul? Please.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

At this point in time the only classes I would accept is Warden, or Dark Ranger, and they are the only ones that fit lore wise now anyways.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    No Bard. Shouting people to death is stupid.
    If you made it, it surely would be. A competent game maker, like Bethesda, on the other hand...
    Yeah, Bethesda have truly been crushing it with their games recently
    And my post revolved around recent Bethesda games how?
    Doom is the only one worth mentioning.
    Good to hear Doom had an important feature about shouting people to death. I had no idea.
    Fallout 4 was thoroughly underwhelming.
    Good to hear Fallout 4 had an important feature about shouting people to death. I had no idea.
    Dishonored 2 hasn't had a great reception on PC.
    Good to hear Dishonored 2 had an important feature about shouting people to death. I had no idea.
    Awsum.
    BTW, a sword wielding caster is not necessarily an unholy DK. Care to decide on one line of two conflicting ones?

7+ Year Old Account
    BTW, a sword wielding caster is not necessarily an unholy DK. Care to decide on one line of two conflicting ones?
    UH DK not caster. And we have sword/dagger/fist casters since vanilla.

Never played GW but love the idea of this -

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mesmer

Artist

Spec 1 - Mesmer.
    (admittedly, there's not much artistic about this one. My initial thoughts on theme was a mime/mimic with mirrors etc.)
    As above. Ranged DPS with the ability to summon phantoms and spirits. I'd imagine them having being shatter-able for AoE damage, draining hp from a mob/boss for ST, which you'd have to support/maintain via a resource you'd generate from mind crippling spells and abilities. Think horror/dark themed, where the user plays on the mind of the enemy to fuel fragments of their nightmares which drain them and dissipate/shatter to cause damage.
    - OR -
    Think main char of FFXV, with an enchanted weapon that they don't really use, and instead a number of invisible copies surrounding your character appear only when your ability strikes. Could be ranged or melee.

Spec 2 - Bard. Everyone's familiar with this one. Ranged DPS using music of varying frequencies to deal damage, and singing songs from enchanted writings to curse enemies and buff yourself.

Spec 3 - Illusionist/Magician. Can see this one as a ranged DPS with a plethora of tricks and acts you'd expect from a stage magician. Gap closer/teleport of some kind where you'd hop into a box/hat that appears from nowhere and then coming out of a different one some yards away. Or think majora's mask with skullkid or nightcrawler from x-men: mobile with little bursts of 5y movement, disappearing and re-appearing with several charges. Cutting one's self in half as a dps CD (similar to E,W&F). Pulling rabbits and shit out of hats. Card tricks.
    Last edited by Jyggalag; 2016-11-15 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    UH DK not caster. And we have sword/dagger/fist casters since vanilla.
    Outbreak, Epidemic, D&D. Raise Ghul, Army of the Dead, Summon Garhoyle, Summon Arbiter. Yip, not a caster at all.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    A plate wearing caster.

Enchanter of swords, healer, book in one hand, 2-handed mace on the other.
    I know, there is paladins but they have zero "spells" to cast apart from holy shock.
    Unholy DK.
    This is what I was responding to. Now I see I omitted the "plate-wearing". Bad, bad me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Tinker/Engineer or so, I'd really like a class that's a bit more "Goblin" with lots of mechanical stuff, Steampunk and such. Would have only 2 DPS specs (ranged and melee) and healing (crazed surgeon) for a change. Nothing says that new classes always need a damned tanking spec... Hell, it could have just 1 ranged dps spec and healing spec since we have so many melee.

The Engineering profession is already so watered down that it could remain as a purely cosmetic profession (creating transmog items and such) alongside a Tinker class.
    I am inclined to agree. I think Tinkers for Gnome/Goblin only would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I would rather see them add a bunch of specs to existing classes than shoehorn another class into the game. That idea just begs for homogenisation(only so many raid spots) and you end up with a glut of one class every time.
    Lol, yeah no... They already struggle to balance 3 specs for pure classes, adding a 4th would just be dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omanley1 View Post
    How about this take on tinker? specs:
    1) Mechanic => vehicles, saws, and such
    2) Sapper => explosives, grenades, rockets, mines, time bombs, flash bang (cc)...
    3) Alchemist => tinktures, elixiers, flasks etc.

Mechanic could be almost anything, role-wise. Tank is obvious (he's in a mech/veehicle that protects him). Melee dps could be with buzz-saws and the like. Ranged could be with pimped guns/bows/x-bows (steam powered maybe?)

Sapper would be ranged dps, throwing dynamite, grenades and such.

Alchemist could place buffing potions that players have to pick up and drink.
    Other elixiers/flasks/etc could include oil patches on the ground that could cause snare/root, and be inflammable by flame bombs (could cause cauterize for allies when afflicted by dots/bleeds and harm enemies), biological weaponry like gas bombs (forsaken would be on board ASAP for that mayhem), injections to heal etc etc.
    my experience playing MW monk during MoP tells me that if you put something beneficial on the ground for your allies, they will walk through fire to avoid it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Never played GW but love the idea of this -

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mesmer

Artist

Spec 1 - Mesmer.
    (admittedly, there's not much artistic about this one. My initial thoughts on theme was a mime/mimic with mirrors etc.)
    As above. Ranged DPS with the ability to summon phantoms and spirits. I'd imagine them having being shatter-able for AoE damage, draining hp from a mob/boss for ST, which you'd have to support/maintain via a resource you'd generate from mind crippling spells and abilities. Think horror/dark themed, where the user plays on the mind of the enemy to fuel fragments of their nightmares which drain them and dissipate/shatter to cause damage.
    - OR -
    Think main char of FFXV, with an enchanted weapon that they don't really use, and instead a number of invisible copies surrounding your character appear only when your ability strikes. Could be ranged or melee.

Spec 2 - Bard. Everyone's familiar with this one. Ranged DPS using music of varying frequencies to deal damage, and singing songs from enchanted writings to curse enemies and buff yourself.

Spec 3 - Illusionist/Magician. Can see this one as a ranged DPS with a plethora of tricks and acts you'd expect from a stage magician. Gap closer/teleport of some kind where you'd hop into a box/hat that appears from nowhere and then coming out of a different one some yards away. Or think majora's mask with skullkid or nightcrawler from x-men: mobile with little bursts of 5y movement, disappearing and re-appearing with several charges. Cutting one's self in half as a dps CD (similar to E,W&F). Pulling rabbits and shit out of hats. Card tricks.
    mesmer was my favourite class to play in GW2, would love to see something similar in wow!!
    dragonmaw - EU

7+ Year Old Account
    think that a necromancer like what used to be in dark age of camelot would be awesome. they were super fun to play. they were weak and couldnt do crap by themselvs. what they sould do is summon a simulacrum or a pet of some sort adn posess them. when they took too much damage the pet died and caused them to be in squishy human form again so you had to either run like hell, die, or fsat cast a new minion. was pretty fun actually
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Tinker!
    - Goblin
    - Gnome

Uses guns and crossbows. Bow is still Hunter exclusive

3 specs, 2 DPS ones and 1 healing/support one

- Commando spec. Heavy single-target DPS and party/raid buffs. Their resource is "Loadout" which works as a unique resource. The commando starts at 100 Loadout, and spells cost ammo. When the Tinker reaches 0 Loadout, they must use the spell "reload" which is a channel that brings them back to 100.

- Demolitions spec. Heavy AoE damage. Lobs grenades and explosives at enemies. Their resource is focus, like Hunters.

- Medic spec. Healer with an emphasis on support. A completely new way to play a healer class. Doesn't use spells or magic at all. Their resource is focus! So mana regen isn't a problem for them.
    - is a close-range healer like fistweaver monk.
    - healing requires positional awareness and team coordination.
    Ability examples :
    Supply Drop - 5 supply boxes parachute down around the Tinker within 30 yards. Running over one restores 10% HP and 5% of a class resource.
    Numbing Injection - Inject an ally with numbing medicine that reduces all damage taken by 75% for 15 seconds on a 1 minute cooldown. Should be on the tanks almost always
    R.O.I.D.S. injection - Inject an ally with a quick boost of power and stamina. Increases health by 20% and damage done by 10% for 15 seconds on a 1 minute cooldown.
    Cell Renewal Injection - Inject an ally with cell renewal probiotics that restore 5% health per second over 15 seconds on a 1 minute cooldown.
    Disinfectant Spray - AoE frontal cone that removes poison, disease and restores 10% HP, + 5% additional HP per effect removed
    Shock Treatment - Zap an ally with an -almost- non-painful jolt that restores 15% HP, increases haste by 25% and removes all debuffs and makes ally immune to debuffs for the duration. Lasts 15 seconds. 1 minute cooldown.
    Medical Technician - AoE passive that increases the effectiveness of potions allies use by 100%, including mana and stat potions
    Tend Wounds - Channeled ability that restores 2% HP per second to target until cancelled.
    Doctor Is In - AoE passive that increases the effectiveness of self-heals by 10%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Necromancer:

Necromancy - pet spec
    Blood - uses a mix of dots and direct damage, can summon little blood golems
    Dark Mending - a shadow based healing spec

As Bolvar gains command of his powers, and full control of the scourge, he sends his new generation of Necromancers - the wardens of the dammed - out into the world to gather the unruly dead, and turn them against the enemies of Azeroth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    I think the only 2 Classes that make sense in WoW and feel like they're "missing", are Necromancer and Mekgineer.

Necromancer for obvious reasons, and can extremely easily be completely different from both Warlocks and Death Knights.
    For me core concepts would be:
    - Bone Spells (physical damage and partial/full armor ignoring)
    - Destructible CC (bone wall, bone prison, etc)
    - Skeletal minions
    - Variable army (one strong minion vs multiple weaker ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by konteil View Post
    think that a necromancer like what used to be in dark age of camelot would be awesome. they were super fun to play. they were weak and couldnt do crap by themselvs. what they sould do is summon a simulacrum or a pet of some sort adn posess them. when they took too much damage the pet died and caused them to be in squishy human form again so you had to either run like hell, die, or fsat cast a new minion. was pretty fun actually
    Listen to these men!!