Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Barbara Boxer to end the electoral college

Outgoing Sen. Barbara Boxer of California planned to introduce a bill Tuesday that would eliminate the Electoral College, following Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's electoral loss to President-elect Donald Trump but near-certain victory in the popular vote.

The legislation would amend the Constitution, requiring ratification by three-fourths of the states within seven years after passing through Congress to be enacted.

"In my lifetime, I have seen two elections where the winner of the general election did not win the popular vote," she said in a statement, noting Democrat Al Gore's electoral loss in 2000. "When all the ballots are counted, Hillary Clinton will have won the popular vote by a margin that could exceed 2 million votes, and she is on track to have received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history except Barack Obama."

"This is the only office in the land where you can get more votes and still lose the presidency," she continued. "The Electoral College is an outdated, undemocratic system that does not reflect our modern society, and it needs to change immediately. Every American should be guaranteed that their vote counts."

As of Tuesday, Clinton led Trump by roughly 900,000 votes, with some votes in Democratic strongholds still outstanding. Before Gore, there were only three times in which a presidential nominee lost while winning the popular vote. Those were Grover Cleveland in 1888, Samuel Tilden in 1876, and Andrew Jackson in 1824.

With Michigan yet to be called for either candidate, Trump leads Clinton by 290 to 232 in the Electoral College.

While he praised the Electoral College after winning, saying it puts more states into play, he tweeted in 2012 after Republican nominee Mitt Romney's loss that the system was a "disaster for democracy."

In her statement, Boxer said she agreed with that sentiment.

"I couldn't agree more," the California Democrat wrote. "One person, one vote!"

However, Trump on Twitter Tuesday wrote that he would've campaigned differently had the Electoral College not been the determining factor in the election.

"If the election were based on total popular vote I would have campaigned in N.Y. Florida and California and won even bigger and more easily,"he wrote, adding in a subsequent tweet, "The Electoral College is actually genius in that it brings all states, including the smaller ones, into play. Campaigning is much different!"
    They need to get rid of the electoral college. If you look it up, it was used so only white male republicans had an advantage over minorities so they couldn't be able to vote. In the end, the white male republican would be the deciding factor of an election. Its an outdated system that needs to be removed. Clinton, however will still be able to be in the white house on Dec 19th.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not gonna happen

inb4 people who say "oh you only hate it because it didnt help you this time"

I wonder if it would require a Constitutional amendment?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think so. If I recall right, thats why senators are directly elected now. 17th I think.

Yes it does, its the second sentence.

Bullshit she isnt going to do anything besides cause some lols. I might have to look this up on cspan for the lols.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was told by a few people today IRL that Romeny won the popular vote, as did McCain.

I guess people dont know history.

Deleted
    Hahaha, no.

Enough is enough. Trump won. Deal with it. What a bunch of sore ass losers. We had a lefty running the show the past 8 years. Time to see what Trump can do for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I was told by a few people today IRL that Romeny won the popular vote, as did McCain.

I guess people dont know history.
    I've seen things about that too.

I would tell them to google it, but Google it probably biased since the results won't fit the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    Enough is enough. Trump won. Deal with it. What a bunch of sore ass losers. We had a lefty running the show the past 8 years. Time to see what Trump can do for us.
    No we don't have the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zero chance it'll be ratified, small states will want to hold on to their unjust power.

It's not going to pass because the EC benefits Republicans and they control the whole government now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Zero chance it'll be ratified, small states will want to hold on to their unjust power.
    I do enjoy the argument of "it gives more states power"

Not really. If you removed it, different states would have power. only a few states have power because of the EC.

Deleted
    Yes and no.
    Currently the federal government is not in 'charge' of the presidential elections.
    For them to change this would require an amendment.
    However, the states can currently apportion their electoral votes however they like (irrespective of any elections) - So the states can solve this by themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had a centrist.

And this wouldn't change the outcome of the election. It would simply remove a system that runs contrary to the American ideals of equal opportunity and equal rights in citizenship.

So, fuck off, or contribute to the conversation in a tangible way.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It needs to be replaced with something that is much more fair like politicans must visit every state during their campaign otherwise politicians will just go to New York and California.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pssst... We president, and House, and Senate, and Supreme court now.

You'll be lucky if we don't undo the last 100 years of your Marxist "accomplishments". Starting with the Child Sacrifice for profit, Roe v Wade.

Personally that's on the top of my agenda,

Senator Boxer is not suggesting Hillary Clinton be named president, but that going forward the vote should be more democratic. Or just be outraged about something for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I do enjoy the argument of "it gives more states power"

Not really. If you removed it, different states would have power. only a few states have power because of the EC.
    Yeah. It's really not a good argument. With the electoral college, only a few battleground states are in play. Without the electoral college, larger states have an edge. But you also get the added benefit of votes (minority party votes in particular) in non-battleground states actually counting for something, and you ablate the glaring injustice of weighted voting power.