Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Electronic Air Duster options? Replacement for canned air.

Hey. Compressed canned air is crazy expensive, so I was looking for an alternative.

Came across these two:

https://www.amazon.com/DataVac%C2%AE.../dp/B00U01YVYK

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow...lectric+duster

The DataVac specifically says its ESD safe so I like to lean towards it, but the reviews for the XPOWER seem better, stating its designed better and has more power, and is also less expensive..but I don't see anything about it being ESD safe.

Obviously im going to be using this around my PC components so thats the most important thing.

I'm struggling to see too many other options however, so do any of you happen to know of/own/use something like this and can provide some suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't "ESD Safe". It's just a marketing gimmick. It just comes with an ESD strap which are largely not even used anyway.

I'll look at the one we have at our shop. I think it's a cheaper version of the DataVac.

If it were me, I would just go with whatever is cheapest.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It isn't "ESD Safe". It's just a marketing gimmick. It just comes with an ESD strap which are largely not even used anyway.

I'll look at the one we have at our shop. I think it's a cheaper version of the DataVac.

If it were me, I would just go with whatever is cheapest.
    I was under the impression that it comes with an anti-static attachment for the nozzle which prevents a lot of static build up in the air itself. Could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the Easygo one in the "customers also bought" section, and it works perfectly well and is well reviewed. I'm sure the Datavac is good, but at twice the price, bugger if I was paying that.

Yet to murder any parts of my computer /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    I use the Easygo one in the "customers also bought" section, and it works perfectly well and is well reviewed. I'm sure the Datavac is good, but at twice the price, bugger if I was paying that.

Yet to murder any parts of my computer /shrug
    Thanks for the suggestion, I may go with that one. I like how the attachments slide and twist to lock in. At least one of the other ones doesn't have that and a few of the reviews complained of the attachments blowing off lol.

Just take your PC to any auto garage and use the blower attatchment they have for the air compressors, work better than anything you could find on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Just take your PC to any auto garage and use the blower attatchment they have for the air compressors, work better than anything you could find on amazon.
    Yea because doing that weekly or even twice weekly sounds like a blast

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    If you have to do this more than once every 2-3 months you bought a PC with terrible dust filters. I have an antec 300 (basically best selling pc case of all time) and i dont have to touch the insides for that long, and i smoke....

If you have to do this more than once every 2-3 months you bought a PC with terrible dust filters. I have an antec 300 (basically best selling pc case of all time) and i dont have to touch the insides for that long, and i smoke....
    This is such an ignorant comment to make on multiple levels. First: The environment changes a lot from person to person. You maybe don't have animals. I have 2.

Second: This has more use than cleaning out your PC Tower. I'll be using it for my keyboard and other accessories as well, not to mention other areas of the house.

Third: The Antec 300 case has two fan slots according to Newegg's Specs. Mine has Four. More fans means more airflow means more dust build up. The Antec also doesn't have a side-viewing panel, which means you don't need to be as concerned about how it looks from dust buildup.

Dragging your entire PC to a car shop to use an air compressor just sounds dumb, even if its "only once every few months"
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2016-11-16 at 01:01 AM.

I'm struggling to see too many other options however, so do any of you happen to know of/own/use something like this and can provide some suggestions?
    Search Amazon for "Metro ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 120 volt 0.75-HP Electric Blower Duster" (I can't post links yet).
    It is the original version of the first DataVac that you linked. The compressor unit is the same. The only difference is the color and slightly different attachments. Really, the cone shaped attachment is the only one that you'll ever need. This thing is POWERFUL, at least an order of magnitude stronger than a can of compressed air. There is no reason you'd ever need to use the brush attachment on your PC components, so there is no need for the ESD strap. This white one is much cheaper than the "ESD" version, has over 2,800 reviews, ships/sells directly from Amazon rather than a 3rd party, and costs much less. Some of the older reviews will say that the attachments fell off, but the current revision has clips that hold the attachments in place. That is no longer an issue.

This is such an ignorant comment to make on multiple levels. First: The environment changes a lot from person to person. You maybe don't have animals. I have 2.

Second: This has more use than cleaning out your PC Tower. I'll be using it for my keyboard and other accessories as well, not to mention other areas of the house.

Third: The Antec 300 case has two fan slots according to Newegg's Specs. Mine has Four. More fans means more airflow means more dust build up. The Antec also doesn't have a side-viewing panel, which means you don't need to be as concerned about how it looks from dust buildup.

Dragging your entire PC to a car shop to use an air compressor just sounds dumb, even if its "only once every few months"
    More fan intakes does not mean more dust buildup, it simply means you didnt do your research before purchasing. I would never buy a case that has a fan intake without a filter on it. And ya i got a cat, i havent touched my PC since legion hit and the inside has barely any dust on it.

And sure if you are using it to clean keyboard and stuff one of those things from amazon would do the trick, but none of them are truly powerful enough to actually dust your PC if you do have a poorly filtered case.

What case do you have? Here is a suggestion for a replacement, the best filtered case on the market that just released:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Full front filter, full bottom filter (removable from front so you dont have to move your PC) as well as full top magnetic filter. You could clean this PC once a year and be fine.

Let me stress again that these things are POWERFUL. The DataVac comes with big warning stickers about this. Do not use it within the vicinity of another person. It is also a good idea to wear safety goggles when using it. Even if you're not the kind of idiot that would point it at your face, the thing will throw up so much dust into the air that it will really get all over your face. In an extremely dirty computer case, a can of compressed air may blow large chunks of dust out at a time. These compressors are more likely to smash those chunks into millions of tiny pieces of dust. The dust really flies everywhere. And although you mentioned that you don't want to transport your computer to an auto shop to clean it out, you will want to take your computer outside to use these compressors. The inside of your home will be absolutely covered in dust if you do it inside (again, due to the extremely higher power output than a can of air).

Deleted

Actually you are the ignorant one, filters reduce large objects from gaining entry in the to case and to prevent dust build up inside the case, you need to have a positive pressure setup, not 'more airflow', if you have dust build up inside you case that is happening very quickly then you have the wrong fan setup in your case.

Let me ask, how many of these fans are intakes and out takes, also you don't even need 4 fans, 2 intakes and 1 exhaust fan is all you ever need, if you want more airflow then just speed up the fans a bit from the intakes but you probably don't even need to do that.

As long as theres a positive pressure in your case, theres always air flow, just because your case can accommodate more fans, you don't need to use them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if anyone else responded to this. As soon as I read it, the word NOOOOOOOO popped into my head. Don't do that. The air compressers can shoot out water that builds up because of humidity. Are there safe air compressors to use? Probably, But I wouldn't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Actually you are the ignorant one, filters reduce large objects from gaining entry in the to case and to prevent dust build up inside the case, you need to have a positive pressure setup, not 'more airflow', if you have dust build up inside you case that is happening very quickly then you have the wrong fan setup in your case.

Let me ask, how many of these fans are intakes and out takes, also you don't even need 4 fans, 2 intakes and 1 exhaust fan is all you ever need, if you want more airflow then just speed up the fans a bit from the intakes but you probably don't even need to do that.

As long as theres a positive pressure in your case, theres always air flow, just because your case can accommodate more fans, you don't need to use them all.
    You guys act as if the filters magically have the capability to clean themselves. I have 2 filtered fans (intake) on the front of my case that get covered in dust. Compressed air is a great way to clean them.

Holy shit people will argue about the dumbest shit. BTW, more fans EXACTLY DOES MEAN more dust, filtered or not that dust still ends up somewhere that has to be cleaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else responded to this. As soon as I read it, the word NOOOOOOOO popped into my head. Don't do that. The air compressers can shoot out water that builds up because of humidity. Are there safe air compressors to use? Probably, But I wouldn't risk it.
    Been doing this for years, never had a problem.

But since i got the antec 300 5 years ago ive never had to use one, canned air does the trick (before the antec 300, dust filters on PC cases werent really a thing).

- - - Updated - - -

You guys act as if the filters magically have the capability to clean themselves. I have 2 filtered fans (intake) on the front of my case that get covered in dust. Compressed air is a great way to clean them.

Holy shit people will argue about the dumbest shit. BTW, more fans EXACTLY DOES MEAN more dust, filtered or not that dust still ends up somewhere that has to be cleaned out.
    I personally run mine under water, but depends on what style filters the PC has (some have a kind of spongy material that i wouldnt use water on). And again more fans=/= more dust, it all depends on if the intakes have filters on them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Actually you are the ignorant one,
    Not really mate. Where I am we have this dust for 9 months of the year that is like talcum powder. It will get through any filter short of a HEPA. I can see the dust buildup inside the case in hours, not weeks or days, with fan filters. This is even with an actual HEPA air purifier running in the the room. You have probably just never been in a particularly dusty environment.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

ive been using https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-.../dp/B000LQB24G for years now. it has a hell of a force (you should test it before trying to get too close to a part), and didnt break after a single use like several of the other ones i tried.

yeah, its labeled as something to dry motorcycles, but it works great as a duster.

it has an easy to remove filter on bottom, to keep out any larger particles that might cause damage to parts. ive never had an issue with it.

the air is 100% dry, though it can get hot if its on for a while, but nowhere near as hot as a pc gets by normal use. the power cord doesnt really exist though. youll need an extension cord.
    Last edited by Sevarin; 2016-11-16 at 01:48 AM.

for the same price as the datavac you could probably get a decent little air compressor and do the same thing at home. and also you'd have an air compressor! they are super fun and useful for lots of things, and that is even before you think about getting some air tools~!

but haha, all of the "free air" signs at petrol stations in the states made me laugh every time.

Yes.. I'm sure that these are safe with all the grime and oil around. I also find that most of the time these have a bit of moisture in the line due to being "outside". Not that good for a computer for sure.