Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

is it still worth buying this game?

the last FF games i played was FF7 & 8 & that was many moons ago, so im curious as to whether its worth buying FF XIV & what are its main selling points compared to maybe wow or aion?
    im not necessarily talking graphics, just general gameplay.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    - It's the most Final Fantasy of the Final Fantasy i've played recently. Crystals, Garland... ehr, Garleans, Magitek, chocobos... it got everything.
    - Even if you don't have interest in endgame, this game feels like a well-packed adventure with a beggining and a end - there's a credits roll after you beat the final boss of the main storyline!
    - The duty finder freature makes it possible to finish the whole game without talking to anyone if you want to, just do your own business. Grouping up for dungeons/trials is obrigatory, but you don't have to socialize too much.
    - Max level rotations and priority of skills feels complex and engaging, at least for me. Lvl 1 is slow, sure, but it does ramps up.

It got me to drop WoW as my main mmo 3 years ago and i'm still playing. I have never ran out of things to do and not once have i been gated in anything i was doing by a time gate system to try and stop you exhausting content, because you can't. No thing is for every player but thats kind of the point. Some people like to play as chefs, others like chocobo racing and triple triad, others raid and so on. I havent heard of even the most die hard "will probably be another news story about being found dead at their desk" hardcore players completing everything. 3 years on and not one example of "i've got nothing to do, better just do my garrison shit and log out" thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly this is the best mmo on the market right now imo. You will get more content more updates abd more variety then any other game I know of right now with an amazing story to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly this is the best mmo on the market right now imo. You will get more content more updates abd more variety then any other game I know of right now with an amazing story to boot
    Don't forget the kick ass music in raids and dungeons as well as being able to only pay £7.49 for your sub for one toon per server since one toon can be everything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Don't forget the kick ass music in raids and dungeons as well as being able to only pay £7.49 for your sub for one toon per server since one toon can be everything
    Lol that too been a long ass day but yep Oh abd class quests and advanced jobs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    the last FF games i played was FF7 & 8 & that was many moons ago, so im curious as to whether its worth buying FF XIV & what are its main selling points compared to maybe wow or aion?
    im not necessarily talking graphics, just general gameplay.
    It is a matter of individual taste. However FFXIV has never climbed to the million subscribers club. Don't know why because they had high hopes for the Heavensward expansion but it did increase subscribers only temporarily.

OP, I'd recommended checking some of the links under Useful Information on the FF14 subreddit. Namely the first two links underneath that category.

Simply put, if you think you have interest in playing and/or were a fan of previous FF games, it's worth a shot.

Bundle packs, with both the base game and Heavensward expansion, are currently going for ~$30 USD on Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Siniwelho View Post
    It is a matter of individual taste. However FFXIV has never climbed to the million subscribers club. Don't know why because they had high hopes for the Heavensward expansion but it did increase subscribers only temporarily.
    Subscriber numbers for this game haven't been published for at least as long as I've played, which was 3 months prior to HW launch. I'd actually go so far as to say they've never once published those numbers, only the total number of accounts, which by and large is a fairly useless metric to measure by.

It's an amazing game. The only downside with it is the combat, it's very complicated and hectic and a lot of people leave because of it.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My friends have recently gone back to it after getting burnt out on Legion, so I have been thinking about playing again. It is a very fun game, it was a crazy nostalgia trip the first time I played. You don't need any previous Final Fantasy knowledge to enjoy it, but if you have played FF games in the past, enjoyed them, and enjoy the traditional MMO design, FFXIV will be right up your alley.

Deleted
    I'd say this game is basically your only alternative to WoW. Alot of content and regular updates and expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I'd say this game is basically your only alternative to WoW. Alot of content and regular updates and expansions.
    Well most of the other mmo's in the same vein died off. What else do you have with any media presence to suggest a userbase? SWTOR right now gets nothing but bad press about lockboxes and content issues and then you have Rift which appears to have spent all its marketing campaign on the one guy that makes threads in the mmochampion Rift section as the rest of the web calls it an increasingly money hungry scam masquerading as "no tricks, no traps".

If you want a good traditional hotbar mmo with this kind structure you go weeb or go neckbeard or go home

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh one other thing just go trial you get two weeks up to level 35 soooo yeaj go for it..and that is ALOT more then you may think if you add in class swapping

I am also on the fence with buying this or not buying this

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    It got me to drop WoW as my main mmo 3 years ago and i'm still playing. I have never ran out of things to do and not once have i been gated in anything i was doing by a time gate system to try and stop you exhausting content, because you can't. No thing is for every player but thats kind of the point. Some people like to play as chefs, others like chocobo racing and triple triad, others raid and so on. I havent heard of even the most die hard "will probably be another news story about being found dead at their desk" hardcore players completing everything. 3 years on and not one example of "i've got nothing to do, better just do my garrison shit and log out" thus far.
    All this and more I played WoW from BC until lvl 110 Legion. Started playing this a year ago and just never came close ot enjoying myself as much as in FFXIV

The only reason I switched back to WoW is because of their free sub thanks to tokens. Granted, Legion is probably more enjoyable than the FFXIV I left a year ago, but FFXIV's such a fun game. Crafting is great, music is awesome, and there's a stretch of literally 20 minutes of cutscenes and I ain't even mad because the main storyline is great.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I don't like about FF14 is that no class really grabs a hold of me since they're bound to specific roles. I love heavy plate melee characters with classic weapons but the only* heavy plate characters in FF are tanks. I mean, it makes sense, but I'm not really interested in tanking even though I know asking for Dark Knight, Barbarian, and Paladin to have permanent DPS toggles would be super incredibly silly.

*Dragoons use heavy armor, sure, but they're also Dragoons.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Oh one other thing just go trial you get two weeks up to level 35 soooo yeaj go for it..and that is ALOT more then you may think if you add in class swapping
    I imagine Titan might be the thing that sells people, shame the 'real' tracks not till hard mode.

I swear ive sen so many folks sold on just the music

I love WoW's music, especially Zones like Grizzly Hills but aside from Kara i cannot remember a single dungeon/raid track form my 8 years of playing, even Ulduar had an unmemorable soundtrack, if theres one thing FFXIV does like no other mmo its the music, though like i've said before considering it pulls from 30 years of music by folks like Uematsu its not really fair is it?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I love WoW's music, especially Zones like Grizzly Hills but aside from Kara i cannot remember a single dungeon/raid track form my 8 years of playing, even Ulduar had an unmemorable soundtrack, if theres one thing FFXIV does like no other mmo its the music, though like i've said before considering it pulls from 30 years of music by folks like Uematsu its not really fair is it?
    I love Ravana's theme. It's a little repetitive at the start but it's like a fucked up circus of pain that turns in to orchestrated misery in 10 minutes or less.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-17 at 07:32 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Just to add to some of Dannys. The amount of amazing music is infinite. Especially the FF3 remix.

And as an added bonus.