Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use WASD and Mouse, can do some crazy movements with the use of all buttons, like doing a 180 flip ambush as a Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohzuko View Post
    WASD for moving (A and D strafing)
    Q for auto-run
    E for targeting
    Spacebar for jump

Everything else is on my MMO mouse with Alt for 2nd action bar.

Holding down right click for camera/movement.
    A and D for strafing is crucial for me. I use T for auto-run (Q is used for Map, since I use it a alot, also to clear the screen fast when multiple tabs are opened) and TAB for targetting. Right click for camera control.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosendo View Post
    I've played since Wrath. I used to be a Healer in a progression raiding Guild before I took a hiatus. I'm back now with a casual guild and I've started doing Mythic+. And I'm just now finding out today that most people don't use the keyboard to move. This is genuinely surprising to me because I've been doing it my way for so long and I had no idea anyone did it differently. So now my question is how do you do it? You can't back pedal with the mouse. Or do you just do 180 with the mouse and just run straight lines everywhere?

I am genuinely curious because for seven years it's been wasd to move for me. I know by starting this thread I'm opening up myself to 'git gud' types of comments but I almost can't believe my own ignorance at this point. Has anybody tried moving exclusively with the mouse and gone back to the keyboard? Looking forward to hearing back everyone's thoughts on this.
    WASD movement is the only way to go.
    I use the mouse to set/adjust the direction, keyboard to actually move.
    Backpedalling to me means taking a sharp 180 degree turn with the mouse. The backpedal key is rather useless since it's so slow.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Keyboard movement isn't a big deal for healers.

I use a mix of both. I turn with the mouse. W for walking forward, A and D are for strafing, Q and E bound to abilities. S is stopcast. And sometimes I move just with the mouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Only moving with the mouse is just as bad if not worse than keyboardturning, as it shifts the camera as well. You have very little on point turning and poor handling.

You NEED to combine strafing, mouse camera control and on certian occasions as healer or ranged dps, backpeddaling, its not often needed, but you need to be able to use it without fear of redicule.

Precise movement control is what you should aim for, only keyboard or only mouse will NOT give you this.

There is no reason to exclusively move with your mouse, it's dumb. Also, backpaddling has perfectly acceptable uses here and there. Just use both, like most people. If one hand is busy use the other! wow!

Deleted
    I use a mix of both, especially Q and E for side movement, but also holding both mouse buttons to move forward or to activate auto-movement on a special mouse key. Fortunately, I found out very early that you can turn with the mouse, and I often combine strafing with mouse-turning if I want to run in a somehow curved way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    WASD movement is the only way to go.
    I use the mouse to set/adjust the direction, keyboard to actually move.
    Backpedalling to me means taking a sharp 180 degree turn with the mouse. The backpedal key is rather useless since it's so slow.
    It's good for interrupting spells if you don't want to jump or hit other keys. Beside that, it's rather useless. I rather strife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosendo View Post
    This looks interesting. I'm gonna try this later.
    wait, you mean you were turning around with A and D?

Quote Originally Posted by pmkaboo View Post
    wait, you mean you were turning around with A and D?
    Yeah. Never thought about doing it any other way. As I mentioned, I was brand new to pc gaming. And with not knowing another pc gamer, I got stuck in bad habits apparently. When I started, I was pointed to various guides. None of them ever bring up mouse and keyboard usage. In hindsight, this seems to be less of a big deal then I was lead to believe.
    I play all heal specs. Shaman is the best. Would be better if I could be Worgen. But thanks to allied races, I'll settle for Earthen.

If you use keyboard to move, wouldn't that mean you have to click your abilities? Or do you people have tiny little kid hands?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I just visualized the OP running up a spiral stair without using the mouse or strafe and shuddered. I definitely use a combination of mouse and keyboard to move. OP, once you get used to it, it smooths out travel so much.

Deleted
    I use both... but in battle it's most of the time mouse for movement and keys for keybounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattiecakes View Post
    I just visualized the OP running up a spiral stair without using the mouse or strafe and shuddered. I definitely use a combination of mouse and keyboard to move. OP, once you get used to it, it smooths out travel so much.
    Luckily we don't have many of those in WoW...

Backpedalling is bad and you should feel bad for doing it. For everything else mouse is wildly superior.

I never touched the default wasd binds. A+d turns by default, but I always used RMB for controlling my character facing, and when that is pressed a+d strafe, so it makes no difference. Keyboard turning rocks if you are messing with interface windows or eating stuff and don't want food in your gaming rig...

Some of us grew up with Quake and learned to navigate with mouse pointer and move with keyboard. I guess it just kinda stuck. I can imagine it is more tricky for an xbox-kid to find a good PC-gaming setup.

I also use the number row for abilities and ctrl as modifier for 2nd row. Because my palm is just used to pressing ctrl autonomously. Never had a good reason to unlearn my inefficient control habits.

The one thing I did do was to make use of more mouse buttons as they got more re-map'able. I use the scroll wheel up/down for abilities I use often and thumb buttons for interupts, then have some less accessible mouse buttons mapped to mount and autorun (again for the casual 1-hand movement).

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I have one of those fancy mice with a number pad on the side, I have a lot more room for traditional mobility while simultaneously managing my rotation entirely with my thumb. I combine WASD and mouse pointing, where mouse pointing gives me more control but WASD allows me to strafe and walk backwards. Good stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Literally the only thing you should never do in WoW is keyboard turn.

Backpedalling has its purpose, only a bad player thinks otherwise.
    Backpedalling has it's purpose for SOME classes, not all. It's especially important for tanks, and I could imagine you would use it (rarely) if playing a caster/hunter, but there's really no point if you're a generic melee for instance.

I rarely backpedal. No need to.

I move with the mouse. The left hand is free to push hotkeys. If I really do need to backpedal (or strafe), I can still comfortably reach for WASD.

I have a Razer Naga. I use WASD to move and have all attack abilities set to the grid on the naga. Works a charm. I never backpedal, simply push A or D and the right mouse button. Frees up so I can move freely and use abilities with my thumb.

Deleted
    I used to wasd but now use mostly mouse! It's not really nessessary to change!