Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Value of Sudden Doom

I decided to level deadliest coil before I worked towards getting our third golden trait, and after getting it tonight I was as disappointed as I thought I'd be. This has got to be the worst golden trait in the game. From what I can tell, it doesn't give us any dps boost and all it does is force us to press the button that all of us unh dks hate even more. Holding into sd charges in our current playstyle doesn't make sense, we need to use rp to proc SoW and runic corruption, which requires us to weave in death coils every so offen. This makes sudden doom useless. I have no idea why this trait is into in the game, makes no sense. Can someone enlighten me on how this trait is beneficial to us? Thanks

I hope in 7.1.5 they either buff it, change it completely or come up with a new idea for this trait. Its pretty sad and it will be the last trait I unlock on my weapon. I got maybe 4 more to go before I force myself to have to unlock it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been said it is roughly a 500 DPS increase, so barely noticable if at all. What it will do is make sure you always have plenty of runic power, and will be less likely to have any downtime by being unlucky with procs.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    It's been said it is roughly a 500 DPS increase, so barely noticable if at all. What it will do is make sure you always have plenty of runic power, and will be less likely to have any downtime by being unlucky with procs.
    I don't know about the 500 DPS increase but yeah, the most important thing is the runic corruption's proc you get whenever you've spent *everything*. At this point, it's basically a filler, in the very bottom of your priority list.

Unless blizz decide to make it so that it has no GCD, or make sudden doom cast all the bolts, it'll be the last trait the most serious DKs will take (Yeah, I'd even take runic tatoo over that).

Deleted
    You always have to see something from the design perspective.

This gives you easier time to SoW uptime, not that you should drop everything in your hands and spam DC.

This trait IS AMAZING(one of the best)when we get out Tier set, as every DC puts 1 festering wound on target(basicly a free festering strike with less damage output, which makes you land SS more often). I do expect significant damage increase or atleast much smoother gameplay, which will result in you are performing better.
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2016-11-16 at 02:05 PM.

@Strifeload: In fairness, a trait that requires our 4pc set bonus from a raid that isn't even out yet in order to fall in the "decent-to-good" range is... underwhelming.

The bottom line is DC is just not a good ability, and it doesn't feel good to push that button. So a trait that has you pushing it more often is bound to feel pretty meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    You always have to see something from the design perspective.

This gives you easier time to SoW uptime, not that you should drop everything in your hands and spam DC.

This trait IS AMAZING(one of the best)when we get out Tier set, as every DC puts 1 festering wound on target(basicly a free festering strike with less damage output, which makes you land SS more often). I do expect significant damage increase or atleast much smoother gameplay, which will result in you are performing better.
    Agreed, it's crappy now but later it will be fine I'm sure. It makes sense to hold off on taking it and get deadliest coil and runic tattoos out of the way first.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

Deleted
    But what about post-nighthold? I wouldn't call it amazing design if a trait only works properly in the middle of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim1256 View Post
    @Strifeload: In fairness, a trait that requires our 4pc set bonus from a raid that isn't even out yet in order to fall in the "decent-to-good" range is... underwhelming.

The bottom line is DC is just not a good ability, and it doesn't feel good to push that button. So a trait that has you pushing it more often is bound to feel pretty meh.
    That is monstrously short sighted. Why would a weapon designed around an entire exapansions worth of content be limited to early expansion relevance. These traits absolutely should resonate down the line. In fact that is excellent design.

I have found sudden doom to eliminate downtime. In the rare occasions that RC doesn't proc, the extra DCs fill the globals and give the needed attempt at more RC.procs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldara View Post
    But what about post-nighthold? I wouldn't call it amazing design if a trait only works properly in the middle of the expansion.
    I didnt realize you had a crystal ball on t21 set bonuses and future balance state. What about the relevance of patch 8.0!?

How about we not shit the bed about unknown unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    That is monstrously short sighted. Why would a weapon designed around an entire exapansions worth of content be limited to early expansion relevance. These traits absolutely should resonate down the line. In fact that is excellent design.

I have found sudden doom to eliminate downtime. In the rare occasions that RC doesn't proc, the extra DCs fill the globals and give the needed attempt at more RC.procs.
    I guess my experience is different than yours. And I fully admit I'm not some super-pro UH DK. But - I find myself RP capped with SD procced often enough that Double Doom doesn't feel useful to me in most circumstances. And arguing that I want to push it because it *might* proc RC, or *might* proc SoW is part of the problem, with the other RNG tied to the spec. Yes, the tier bonus will make it better, but that won't help in progression for a long while, so I'm having trouble getting excited about it.

I mean - to each his own, but I think a lot of UH DKs would agree with me that DD is pretty underwhelming, because DC is an underwhelming ability which just highlights the significant amount of RNG tied to our spec.

I'm 2/3 on deadly durability, and going for Double Doom as my second Golden Trait.
    One thing I want to try is 2/3/2/2/2/2/3
    Double Doom should give you a very high uptime in Necrosis buff, and Blighted Rune Weapon Should take the place of the RNG of IC in the opening, with less RNG. I'm expecting a higher SoW uptime as well, as I will be doing DC part of the "regular rotation" (DC will have a higher importance, and should be cast before each SS if possible).

Anyway, I will try to see what happens (that's the beauty of the game, after all)

Quote Originally Posted by Panta View Post
    I'm 2/3 on deadly durability, and going for Double Doom as my second Golden Trait.
    One thing I want to try is 2/3/2/2/2/2/3
    Double Doom should give you a very high uptime in Necrosis buff, and Blighted Rune Weapon Should take the place of the RNG of IC in the opening, with less RNG. I'm expecting a higher SoW uptime as well, as I will be doing DC part of the "regular rotation" (DC will have a higher importance, and should be cast before each SS if possible).

Anyway, I will try to see what happens (that's the beauty of the game, after all)
    Hope you are a filthy casual if that will be your 2nd golden trait. Would be laughed at in most progression guilds

I think this is a matter of perception. If you think DC should be this big nuke to make RP spending feel strong, that's fine, but understand that is not the design intent. DKs strikes have always been about brute damage and RP is a magical component to modify damage. DC is simply designed to fuel your high damage abilities like SS and FS. Instead of hitting the button and thinking gah this is weak, hit it and look for RC as a fuel ignition. You get those runes and start hammering again. I weave DCs constantly, every third or fourth global, and try to not cap. As long as you have three runes regening it's not a dps loss to DC. I went for deadliest coil before going for sudden doom, and DC is about third or fourth of my damage done. I find it a satisfying filler spell.

Don't hate it for not being what you think it should be, analyze it's intent and appreciate it for what it is, a utility based ranged filler that fuels rune regen and strike damage.

Deleted
    I too find this trait fairly undewhelming and I'm RP capped alot of the time, to the point that I'll only spam my RP if all my runes are on CD (which is rare).

This trait increases my RP problems. Maybe they should increase the cost of DC and it's damage too.

I have like 3 points waiting to be assigned to traits, keeping them until we get more patch notes. Would hate to not take sudden doom if blizz plans on buffing it or something. Unless they refund everyones points but id doubt that would happen

Its super lame for a gold trait. But at least it can keep us mobi. I do like it in pvp... Nukem em while the run... And clearly by nuke i mean through the nerfball that is deathcoil at them

Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    I think this is a matter of perception. If you think DC should be this big nuke to make RP spending feel strong, that's fine, but understand that is not the design intent. DKs strikes have always been about brute damage and RP is a magical component to modify damage. DC is simply designed to fuel your high damage abilities like SS and FS. Instead of hitting the button and thinking gah this is weak, hit it and look for RC as a fuel ignition. You get those runes and start hammering again. I weave DCs constantly, every third or fourth global, and try to not cap. As long as you have three runes regening it's not a dps loss to DC. I went for deadliest coil before going for sudden doom, and DC is about third or fourth of my damage done. I find it a satisfying filler spell.

Don't hate it for not being what you think it should be, analyze it's intent and appreciate it for what it is, a utility based ranged filler that fuels rune regen and strike damage.
    I do the exact same as you do. I'm just wondering where sudden doom fits in all this. Why create a golden trait that has no real synergy with our playstyle right now. Most of us run IC so pooling rp before SI comes off cd isn't a thing anymore. Only way I can see this making sense is when looking at our tier 19 4 pc set bonus. "Deathcoil has a 50% chance to pop a fw." With that bonus, I can see the importance of it. we shouldn't need to wait months into an expansion inorder to benefit from a golden artifact trait..

Quote Originally Posted by xbashfulx View Post
    Hope you are a filthy casual if that will be your 2nd golden trait. Would be laughed at in most progression guilds
    Well... I actually am (been playing since late TBC and I have never been on a guild). That being said, the Shamler (I think thats the name of the other golden trait) is awful on PvP, as the zombie moves so slow that if you get hit for that zombie, you will lose that fight regardless of any trait I may have choose, whereas Double Doom and Clawing Shadow gives you a little edge vs some classes.

Currently 28 level artifact, left double doom till more or less last due to it being one of the most pathetic golden traits in the game. If death coil was worth a damn then I'd take it sooner but it's trash. Surely just to make it worthwhile double doom could fire off 2 death coils on a sudden doom proc instead of one, it'd be a small buff to DPS and would hopefully help smooth out the rotation with more uptime on runic corruption and would also synergise with upcoming tier. As it stands it's just trash, none gold traits give a bigger DPS increase, you could swap armies of the damned into a gold and sudden doom as a normal and nobody would question it, that's how shit it is.

If you're using DC only when there is nothing else to press you're playing unholy terribly wrong. You should be spamming DC whenever RC and SoW are not up and you have 3 runes regenerating.