Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    It's disturbing how many people don't know what the Nazi playbook was. Because it sure as hell wasn't "Lets add a layer of scrutiny on immigrants from radical terrorist hotspots".

Immigration control is one of the very fundamental jobs of a national government. Why is it every time the US tries it, we're all 'racist' or compared to Hitler? The Nazi comparison is so easy to see, only because so few people actually know what the Nazi's did. It was a couple paragraphs in your history book. Frankly, there's a world of difference between closing the door to people that want to immigrate from certain areas, and gassing the Jews and Slavs.

At which point, saying that light in the wavelength of 450nm to 495nm is "blue" is also a religion, and the word has lost all meaning.
    I should note, i was referring to the behavior of people, and how they act like many religious people do in regards to their beliefs and opinions.

In regards to comparing it to Hitler, one has to understand, that the Nazis did not do all of those things overnight. It was a progression, one that was built on continued hostility and anger. Nobody thinks Trump is going to gas all Muslims, but that doesn't mean we should allow his to start down a similar path that Hitler began upon. The problem wasn't just that Hitler was killing Jews, he first opted to marginalize and ostracize them from society. It made it easier for people to embrace more serious forms of oppression later on.

The fundamental root of all evil, is the belief that someone else's life is somehow worth less than your own.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2016-11-16 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    I'm an agnostic myself - the belief of agnostics and atheists is toward Science. We believe in science, so yes, it is a belief. If I'm a catholic, I believe in God and Jesus and everything it entails. If I am an agnostic or an atheist, I believe in science and provable evidences. It is still a belief.

The big difference between believing in science and believing in a religion is that believing in science is to assume that no matter what we assume, if evidence points us toward another truth, we will investigate it and change our beliefs if required. Science is provable, religion is not.

But it's still a belief.
    Not all agnostics or atheists 'believe' in science, there is no connection between the two.

Atheism is just a lack of belief in a deity, they might believe in fairies and think science is hocus pocus.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. And if they do try it, I will fight against it.
    You will fight it by posting memes on twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    You will fight it by posting memes on twitter?
    Something like that...

10+ Year Old Account
    The US should get rid of social security cards as well and all forms of identification.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Seems like the checks and balances put in place are working to keep it the land of the free?
    Or maybe you are just spinning something so you can pull the Nazi card out?
    Land of the free is a joke right?

The nazi card is not wrong though. You have a working supreme court, for now. Doesn't mean the rules they try to implement are not similar (if not equal) to what the nazis did back in the day. Or well, what was done in advent of WO I.
    The rule is not always valid.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a list by itself is illegal. Only if it is used for a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN13B05C

So it seems now we are entering the days of a fascist regime. Registering people just based on their faith. Welcome to the land of the free.
    I generally don't have a problem with Muslims, but I do live a block from a Mosque or whatever they call it.

In my area (Austin), I see a fair amount of women in the various head-coverings. Niqabs, hijab, but I rarely if ever seen a burqa.

The biggest problem I have with Muslims here in the US isn't so much the chance for radicalization (which has happened in 2 instances) but is that the men oppress the women by forcing them to wear "religious" clothing. Sadly, these women know nothing else but the Islamic way of life, and the fear of being ostracized, or worse, by their community is very real.

It should be made very clear that religions that oppress women will NOT be tolerated in the country. The choice has to be theirs, and it has to be a real choice, not an institutionalized choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A list isn't. I can make a list right now. A shopping list, a to do list, a hit list. This is a list of lists.

I can check things off my list. I don't need a hit list. I can scratch that off my list.

I can add to my list. I could use a mailing list on my list. Would you like to register for my mailing list? I promise I won't spam anyone on my list.

This seems like a short list. How can I add to my list? There should be a law that you must register for my list.

Welcome to my list. Just don't get on my shit list. I know where you live, it's on my list.

I seem to have very large lists. Maybe they are valuable lists. I could share my lists.

Does anyone want to buy a mailing list?

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to require fried chickens and cheese burgers to register as well. They are about 25,000 times more likely to kill me than terrorists are. Oh and I need to put myself on this list as well. I'm 1750 times more likely to commit suicide than to be killed be terrorism. Oh and lightning too. It's always eyeing my tinfoil hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kansas is just about to replace Florida on the comedy stage, seeing what's been happening there recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    You should consider that the polling data I provided is only similar for westernized countries. In largely populated Muslim nations such as Egpyt and Pakistan, *majorities* hold extremist, violent views. I agree that you shouldn't hold one person responsible for the act of another, but at a certain percentage you must admit we should change our thinking on the matter.

Since ~20% extremist rate does not bother you, would a 60%? 90%? 99%? If literally 99% of Muslims were radicals who actually believed in violence as an appropriate response for drawing Mohammed, would you still be ok with mass-accepting Muslim immigrants/refugees?

As for Christians, the same thing would apply. If there was a significant proportion of Christians who believed in violence for me depicting Jesus, then I wouldn't want them coming over also. If there was a significant proportion of Christians who wouldn't report other Christians for terrorist attacks on civilians, I'd be opposed to Christians coming over.
    As a Muslim I find this comment hysterical, for the one reason is that there are no images of Prophet Muhammad ( saw ) in existence. So drawing him is no less then going for saying, "poopy head!" Like a little kid.

Also are we going to go with statistics? I can pull random numbers from my bum and say it is something factual when in fact it can become skewed easily

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    No, there is no belief in not believing your claim if you claim to have a cow on your head but I don't see one.
    You guys are getting caught up on semantics. Belief isn't, itself, counter to an atheist or even scientific viewpoint. Belief is simply just accepting a statement is true. Atheists, generally, don't BELIEVE there is no god...we just lack the belief there IS a god, which in itself can be classified as a belief. Theists believe there IS a god based on FAITH...a belief based on no evidence.

You guys are arguing about belief when you really mean to be arguing about faith. As an atheist and someone who accepts the scientific method, i have no problem saying I have BELIEF that, say, Newtons Laws of Motion are correct, or Boyle's Law. I can say I hold that belief because I accept those as valid. I do not have FAITH that those two laws are correct...because I don't need faith.

So you both are right and wrong.

Yes an atheist can believe there is no god. But not in a spiritual sense...only in a sense that he accepts that "there is no god" is an accurate statement.

And no, lol atheism is not a religion. Mostly because we lack to the faith to get there. I guess also because atheism lacks dogma, doctrine, spirituality, and an overwhelming desire to dictate how others live.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnantinos View Post
    As a Muslim I find this comment hysterical, for the one reason is that there are no images of Prophet Muhammad ( saw ) in existence. So drawing him is no less then going for saying, "poopy head!" Like a little kid.

Also are we going to go with statistics? I can pull random numbers from my bum and say it is something factual when in fact it can become skewed easily
    And yet drawing him offends people to the point of murder for some. Or, given your example, do you actually think saying, "poopy head" should result in violence?

And yet drawing him offends people to the point of murder for some. Or, given your example, do you actually think saying, "poopy head" should result in violence?
    It offends the ignorant actually, and all the scholars laugh at the fact about that so called contest. But for people who are easily angered being called the word, "Poopy head" it can get peopled offended to the point of fighting depending on circumstances though. And no true Muslim with proper knowledge, of Islam, reacts to that type of contest. They just laugh, and make supplication prayer that everyone is guided to the straight path

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Interesting.

Let's see how this works out and copy it in Europe if the results are positive.
    You make me wonder if we shouldnt revert some things that went wrong in ww2. I think germany was too lenient on the netherlands if people like you are the result. We should probably fix that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Are you familiar with the story of Hitler and Jews? It was tried here in Europe, it went very bad.
    He is from the netherlwnds. That is the only amusing bit about this, unfortunately.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    It offends the ignorant actually, and all the scholars laugh at the fact about that so called contest. But for people who are easily angered being called the word, "Poopy head" it can get peopled offended to the point of fighting depending on circumstances though. And no true Muslim with proper knowledge, of Islam, reacts to that type of contest. They just laugh, and make supplication prayer that everyone is guided to the straight path
    There is the problem. You have formed your own definition for what a "true Muslim" is. Since a large chunk of these self-proclaimed Muslims don't fit your definition, you don't get to exclude them and pretend "100% of those representing Islam will not react violently to a depiction of the prophet."

Surely you must recognize that the Muslims we're looking to avoid bringing in are the ones you don't even consider real fucking Muslims.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    It's disturbing how many people don't know what the Nazi playbook was. Because it sure as hell wasn't "Lets add a layer of scrutiny on immigrants from radical terrorist hotspots".

Immigration control is one of the very fundamental jobs of a national government. Why is it every time the US tries it, we're all 'racist' or compared to Hitler? The Nazi comparison is so easy to see, only because so few people actually know what the Nazi's did. It was a couple paragraphs in your history book. Frankly, there's a world of difference between closing the door to people that want to immigrate from certain areas, and gassing the Jews and Slavs.

At which point, saying that light in the wavelength of 450nm to 495nm is "blue" is also a religion, and the word has lost all meaning.
    Why is it that every time people point out Trump's similarities to fascist regimes and how much of his propaganda, rhetoric, and even policy is taken from Hitler's playbook, people go "THIS ONE PART OF TRUMP'S PLATFORM THAT I'VE RANDOMLY PICKED WAS NOT PART OF THE NAZI PLATFORM SO YOU'RE STUPID FOR MAKING THE COMPARISON!"

It is ironic that you imply people barely know what Hitler did, then talk about the world of difference between immigration control and gassing people. Hitler never wanted to originally gas anyone. He did however rise to power through whipping up fear and hatred of foreigners, especially Jews. He tapped into the demographic of people who were sick of all the Jewish refugees pouring into Germany. He got people angry who weren't already by harping on the myth that the Jews were living a life of relative luxury at the expense of the hard working German citizen thanks to the German welfare state.

So Trump used a lot of the same rhetoric and propaganda to get into power. And now that he's in power, he's following the playbook and entertaining much of the same policy. A Muslim registry already? Wonder when he'll begin proposing work camps so that Muslims and Mexicans that he can't deport can pay off their debt to the American welfare system that they've been mooching trillions of dollars off of. Which, of course, they haven't, but many on the right believe they have.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    No true muslim would get offended? That's kind of laughable considering any attempt to portray muhammed in a satirical way has been met with a pouring of outcrys to outright violence. While I do not doubt your perception of authenticity on what a "true muslim" is, the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of muslims railing against any form satire suggest otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is the problem. You have formed your own definition for what a "true Muslim" is. Since a large chunk of these self-proclaimed Muslims don't fit your definition, you don't get to exclude them and pretend "100% of those representing Islam will not react violently to a depiction of the prophet."

Surely you must recognize that the Muslims we're looking to avoid bringing in are the ones you don't even consider real fucking Muslims.
    The radicals comprise a couple of hundred thousand out of 1.3 billion. I'll let you do the math on that.

Most of the rest of those 1.3 billion often denounce the violent radicals as not being Muslims either, so it's not just him or people on these forums.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    If it was a list of gun owners, conservative media would be losing their minds.