Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Colleges are not medical facilities (edit: well, excluding ones that teach... you know, medicine LOL), stop treating them as such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Colleges are not medical facilities, stop treating them as such.
    They are often cheaper than actual psych places, which is overall beneficial to students who may not be able to afford such things.

Mine are regularly 120+ a visit. Thus On Campus, free counseling is NECESSARY to a healthy student population.

Colleges are not medical facilities (edit: well, excluding ones that teach... you know, medicine LOL), stop treating them as such.
    Every school need those kind of services, only an idiot would unilaterally slash school funding over issues like this. The real answer is to target the professional staff that cause wasting if they do idiotic shit like delay exams for a cry-in. Your public schools and colleges are already underfunded. You are supposed to look at way to make them more efficient with the funds, not cut them. This is only an idiot answer to the problem. The people wasting the funding are the problem, not the funding. Cutting their funds wont change that, they will just have more cry-ins and the infrastructure of the school will turn into shit, because you still have the same people misshandling the funding still doing it.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-11-16 at 10:12 PM.

Deleted
    I'll try and find the study on it, but grief counseling or just counseling overall is quite a big boon to have. Now in this case of outraged people, I can understand that it is dumb. But there are people with all sorts of mental issue that are trying to take an education that can be stressful and fuel their mental issue to spring up, and there it is good to have a semi professional that has at least some knowledge on the subject and can help them. That and just normal students that go through various amount of hardships (studying far from home, family problems, stress problems etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    It has nothing to do with it, this is just cover for cutting funding to education republicans have been trying to cut funding to colleges for a while.
    That is very much believable and I like I said, I hate cutting funding for education. But like I also said, if those funds are spent on people being triggered because someone won the election then those funds need to be better spent on education, not coddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Many students have serious concerns about how they will be affected by the election, particularly LGBT and minority students. Counselors are there to provide guidance and reassurance during a period of legitimate worry. But hey, feel free to keep painting all college students as just whiny babies. Some of them are, sure. But the larger, quieter majority are not and criticizing those for seeking guidance is as toxic as criticizing someone for having a good talk with their parent or priest.
    As much as I hate Trump, he isn't Hitler. He isn't going to round up LGBT and minorities and gas them. Yes the future is uncertain, but that's the way it is for ALL of us. Part of being an adult is learning how to find your own path. Grow a sack and stand up for yourself. IF those people start losing their rights then they will have a reason to worry, but this bullshit about needing counseling because Trump could do something is asinine. It's on the same level of stupidity as thinking Muslims will come and attack us again. It could happen but being terrified of it isn't going to help you and shouldn't stop you from living.

And it damn well shouldn't stop you from continuing your education or give you the right to draining funding from other student's education.

I couldn't find the link for the coping pony petting zoo.

Is the local government funding these groups? If the answer is yes, then I disagree.

The article is clearly about cutting funding to this type of garbage. Counseling should be for people who need it, like I dunno, college campus rape victims, sucides, or legitimate bullying problems. Etc Etc

This... garbage.. WTF...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Seems like the article specifically states "due to last weeks election" ... not in general.
    So then they most they should do is say "hey, we noticed you spent $200 on a post trump therapy dog. You're gunna have to pay the state back for that."

What they should not do is legislatively cut/reduce funding for programs that provide serious mental healthcare, which has long term implications because you'll need another bill to bring the funding back up. Especially after all the school shootings, the talk about the need for more mental healthcare...and at the first sign of "those wimpy kids" its gotta get taken away?

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    That is very much believable and I like I said, I hate cutting funding for education. But like I also said, if those funds are spent on people being triggered because someone won the election then those funds need to be better spent on education, not coddling.
    As the article said, and I've even repeated here, it's not just the funding for programs like that. It's double the amount of whatever is being spent on those programs. It's literally just to cut funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    And you wonder why millennial are struggling to secure meaningful work. Pro tip: your employer doesn't give a fuck about your feelings or political opinions you've gained in 22 years of life experience. 4 years ago you had a curfew.
    I dont give a crap about feelings or political opinions im still struggling to find a job cause i'm in my 20s
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Good, colleges shouldn't spend money on such pointless bullshit. They're supposed to be educational facilities, how much more of a joke do they have to become?

I dont know what they are smoking in usa schools, but i want the same! Seems like it's fun :')

I'm fairly conservative , but I don't see an issue with kids wanting to cry and blow bubbles. No sweat off my sack for them to do it. I think it's pointless exercise that leads to nothing. But I don't want ANYONE to tell them they can't do what they want, least of all the government. Especially when they aren't hurting anyone by doing it. ESPECIALLY, when there are people out there hurting people and property as a response instead of playing with play-doh.

If I was a republican in Iowa, I would be in contact with Bobby, telling him to focus on more important stuff than this petty nonsense.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Seems a completely unnecessary intrusion by the govt because kids are overreacting
    You haven't seen the SJW Fuckfest known as The University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    You haven't seen the SJW Fuckfest known as The University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa.
    Maybe not, but I rather have excessive sensitive cry fests than he govt cut funds that would make it harder for people like me to get actual help. I had a shitty time in undergrad because I never did get help. If I had, I owuld have been so much better. These services are necessary, and a govt stooge cutting funds for it cause "you're helping whiny brats" is pure shitackery.

Also, RIP Chibi Usa D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had a support puppy at work.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not, but I rather have excessive sensitive cry fests than he govt cut funds that would make it harder for people like me to get actual help. I had a shitty time in undergrad because I never did get help. If I had, I owuld have been so much better. These services are necessary, and a govt stooge cutting funds for it cause "you're helping whiny brats" is pure shitackery.

Also, RIP Chibi Usa D:
    Guess it depends on where the cuts are going. Most of my help came from a Bolivian old man who worked for the federal government.

Also, you know you like this picture better anyway--even if I was tired as shit and crooked tie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it depends on where the cuts are going. Most of my help came from a Bolivian old man who worked for the federal government.

Also, you know you like this picture better anyway--even if I was tired as shit and crooked tie.
    The article seems to think its broad cuts to everything, not targeted and double the original expense. WHich...is just stupid. This will have an adverse affect on the entire school.

The bill would hit taxpayer-funded state universities with a budget cut for double the amount they spend on such election-related activities. Kaufmann emphasized that existing therapy and mental health services are not being targeted.

and its alright...

I've lived almost my entire life in Iowa City and never seen the SJW Fuckfest.

Deleted
    The bill would hit taxpayer-funded state universities with a budget cut for double the amount they spend on such election-related activities. Kaufmann emphasized that existing therapy and mental health services are not being targeted.
    How much darn money did they spend on those election-related activities?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    How much darn money did they spend on those election-related activities?
    Hell, this could even be avoided by just directing them to normal counseling sessions, which the govt isn't allowed to know the specifics of cause HIPAA.

Which i suspect is what the school will do. Just provide normal counseling sessions for people upset by this, and the govt cant punish them because they are not entitled to know about people's medical and psych history (with a few exceptions)