Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    International organizations trying to prosecute nations or heads of nations are not all they're cracked up to be.

Deleted
    ICC - Icecrown Citadel?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Russia as a member of the ICC is a mockery of the ICC.

The ICC did successfully prosecute a bunch of Serbs.

Russia is going to do something really nasty to the Syrian Sunnis is my guess.
    international courts go after the west's "enemies" n protect war criminals on their side, the "good guys"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20352187

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    and we could wipe your insignificant, albeit beautiful (been there a couple times, quite lovely) country off the map in less time than Dominos takes to deliver a pizza.
    In the hypothetical scenario we 2 are friends and i say: "when one of your cats has bitten one of our neighbors, in the future i might punish it for that" and you awnser: "if you touch one of my cats, i will break into your house and punch you in the face" could we still be real friends? (we rent the buildings and ground to the UN btw)

Under G.W.Bush the US-Dutch friendship became more of a hostage situation. And we in the Netherlands didn't like the tone, same as i don't like yours. We don't like being threatened.

I'm frankly not surprised at all. I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

I've been a critic for the ICC for many years, at both the philosophical and tactical level. Philosophically, I think the concept of the ICC is a bridge too far for global governance. The US concerns regarding it were not only entirely correct from the outset, but have been within the past year, largely validated.

What do I mean by that? There comes the tactical critique. The ICC is still a relatively new instrument with few successes under its belt, operating on legal theory that is far from settled. To prove the idea has value and turn doubters into supporters, it needed to build credibility through a series of careful, tactical victories. Go after the low hanging fruit, be incrementally more ambitious. Illustrate the institution's professionalism, impartiality and success.

That has not happened. It's been a side show.

It's taken up causes it cannot possibly win and focused largely on Africa, which annihilated any claims of impartiality, probably for good. And to make matters worse, in the past year, to be "more fair", it's now opened up investigations into US conduct in Afghanistan and Russia in Crimea.

This is multidimensionally stupid. First, without rendering judgement on the specifics of the cases, it is in fact, illustrating how unprofessional and partisan it is being by switching so wildly from being highly Africa focused to suddenly wildly ambitious and globally focused, inside of a year. How on earth is taking on Russia or the US supposed to lead to a victory for the ICC? It's setting itself up for a defeat.

Secondly, the purpose of the ICC was to go after people in country's whose legal systems are unable or unwilling to prosecute war crimes. The US has done just that, on many occasions, over the past 15 years, with regards to both Iraq and Afghanistan. US soldiers are on death row, because of War Crimes in those countries.

International justice has been entirely cocked up by this shit. Picking unwinnable battles, justifying US (and others) concerns about politically motivated prosecutions. The idea may be noble in the abstract, but the people implimenting it couldn't have done a more expert job screwing it up. All that's missing is looking into something China did... I don't think they've made an enemy of everyone quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Yeah, first the US simply rejects/ignores the ICC accusations about US war crimes (consisting, among other things, of rape and torture)...

https://www.rt.com/usa/367072-usa-re...ar-crimes-icc/

.. and now Russia withdraws from ICC as well. ICC really doesn't have much authority at all.
    You must be fun at parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I'm frankly not surprised at all. I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Here's the one thing to be 'not surprised' too – the same day, Russian Duma approved the law that the conscripts can be sent to the Syria. That's the related thing, i suspect. Well, one more Afghanistan.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Even though they were never completely committed, still a sign that this court is pretty pointless.
    any 'international' organization is pretty pointless
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Moscow said Wednesday it is formally withdrawing its signature from the founding statute of the International Criminal Court, saying the tribunal has failed to live up to hopes of the international community.

Russia in 2000 signed the Rome Statute setting up the ICC, the world's first permanent war crimes court, but never ratified the treaty.

Amid accusations of bias against Africa, Kenya, Namibia and Uganda have also indicated they are considering pulling out of the Rome Statute, the ICC's founding treaty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...nding-statute/

Even though they were never completely committed, still a sign that this court is pretty pointless.
    It has always been a pointless institution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.