Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Is the local government funding these groups? If the answer is yes, then I disagree.

The article is clearly about cutting funding to this type of garbage. Counseling should be for people who need it, like I dunno, college campus rape victims, sucides, or legitimate bullying problems. Etc Etc

This... garbage.. WTF...
    I agree. When you lend legitimacy to nonsense like this, it lessens the ability (and funding) of these agencies to help people that really need it. To divert funds that could be used to really help victims (such as people that might kill themselves, rape or violence victims, etc) to help people that are upset over the election is basically (in my opinion) criminal. It is like robbing from the real victims to fulfill your own little selfish needs.

We, as a nation and society, have to stand up to these cry babies!

Obama won the last two elections and basically (because we are so polarized and divided as a nation) half of the country was upset about it. Nobody was protesting (at least not like they are now) or crying about it. The repubs didn't seek safe spots and grief consuling.

Guess what? They sucked it up and moved on...... The Earth kept spinning and the sun still rose the next day.....

What the pubs did instead of crying was to pull up their pants, lace their boots and win this election.

Besides, I think all the tears from the left in this election are causing the sea levels to rise even faster.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Therapy dogs are typically brought in by students. And exams being cancelled is rubbish. The number of big name colleges allowing that could probably be counted on one hand.
    All it takes is one to start a trend, just like "safe spaces."

Also, guidance counselors at colleges absolutely provide anxiety counseling and other tools for dealing with mental health strain. Its a huge part of their job description. Have you even BEEN to college?
    I've been to two different colleges, a vocational school and a two year college. They didn't care about our feelings. It was "here's the classes you need to take for X degree." Not a once did I hear "come and talk about your feelings with us." They had stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Seems a completely unnecessary intrusion by the govt because kids are overreacting
    Intrusion is when the gov inserts itself into something, not when it withdraws funding.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    Apparently these things weren't as a big deal as you believed.
    So you were then?

Good to know.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-11-17 at 01:27 AM.

They should put an electric fence around universities to keep the inmates in.

Coming soon to a district near you: The Shut the F--k Up Bill cutting funding to inner city youth programs because they helped young black and Muslim kids cope with racism. Also, the Shut Up and Put Up With It Bill cutting funding to rape counseling because people need to just stop whining about sexual assault, after all our president does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    How does that change anything at all about the fact that they're using that as justification to hack away at its budget?
    I wasn't trying to justify it, just point out that they are trying to get people to stop skipping classes and exams because they are upset about the elections. Thats quite different than what you originally stated, that they are trying to block legitimate uses.

Its probably not the best way to go about things, but I really think its just more of a threat to get administrators to stop caving to students whining about the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Intrusion is when the gov inserts itself into something, not when it withdraws funding.
    Its inserting itself by saying 'We will withdraw funding if you dont stop what we dont like even though its legal and a form of speech"

Even if i do think 80% of the students involved are being stupid

Its inserting itself by saying 'We will withdraw funding if you dont stop what we dont like even though its legal and a form of speech"

I'm not sure how therapy ponies count as 'free speech'

omg I just looked up 'therapy pony' and now I want one
    Last edited by Venant; 2016-11-17 at 02:07 AM.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account

Especially since the idea that colleges might be politically influenced to preach the gospel of whatever party is in power is a pretty goddamned frightening concept.

I too am in need of a therapy pony for reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Especially since the idea that colleges might be politically influenced to preach the gospel of whatever party is in power is a pretty goddamned frightening concept.
    Colleges have been politically influenced for an awfully long time.

OT: Cutting funding for spurious spending is not something to criticize the government for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    While some people take things too far, this is just another demonstration of how Republicans don't believe in good mental health. Grief is real. Grief can lead to depression, sickness and even suicide. Now matter how many Republicans want to call those things "weakness" the fact of the matter is that grief counseling can do a lot for the mental well being of students, especially in a stressful environment like college. "Suck it up" styled masulinity is why men are far more successful at suicide.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should also stop governmental funding of everything related to healthcare. People don't need healthcare, they should just suck it up!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    As much as I hate Trump, he isn't Hitler. He isn't going to round up LGBT and minorities and gas them. Yes the future is uncertain, but that's the way it is for ALL of us. Part of being an adult is learning how to find your own path. Grow a sack and stand up for yourself. IF those people start losing their rights then they will have a reason to worry, but this bullshit about needing counseling because Trump could do something is asinine. It's on the same level of stupidity as thinking Muslims will come and attack us again. It could happen but being terrified of it isn't going to help you and shouldn't stop you from living.
    The issue is that while Trump isn't Hitler he is part of the Republican party.

This same Republican party which as recently as this summer during their convention reaffirmed their position to make sure the Supreme Court ruling on equal marriage for the LGBT community gets over turned. This isn't a wait and see scenario here, this is a group of people that are "Hah we won, and we have the plans and the power to take back human rights you were given just a few years ago.". Even if Trump himself has said "The rule is in place and its over." he is still wanting to put in a social conservative judge to strike down Roe vs Wade. Most social conservatives have a problem with abortion and equal marriage rights and even if Trump doesn't wish to over turn equal marriage he will likely be pressured by the Republican party in congress to pick a judge that does.

It's weighing the odds and the odds look abysmal for the LGBT community right now.

Heard about this while driving home and listening to NPR, whom in my area (Southern Oregon) broadcasts the "soft" Canadian news show As It Happens.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...pens-1.3853530

That right there boys and girls is FUCKING JOURNALISM.

If you're going to claim stuff you'd better be able to back it up. Guess someone needed a safe space from the big mean reporter.

lol! cry-ins? SERIOUSLY? lol i cant....i cant......i cant catch my breathe, i've never laughed so hard...

Mental illness?

And no, you don't get to dictate to me what is a legit trigger for my clinical depression
    Meanwhile the guys making whatever crazy pills you take for your made up disorder are laughing at you as they take in mountains of money off easily manipulated, indoctrinated youth like yourself

The attitude these colleges are encouraging in these kids is absolutely terrifying lmao

I'm currently in college myself and trigger the fuck out of my classmates just wearing a Donald pump shirt "make America swole again"

But because most of the participation trophy safe space kiddies that wanna debate me have ear gauges and dramatically colored hair, and I'm like twice their size, and when they lack a spine...well it makes arguing my points pretty boring since they never get past their buzzword arguments

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    Meanwhile the guys making whatever crazy pills you take for your made up disorder are laughing at you as they take in mountains of money off easily manipulated, indoctrinated youth like yourself

The attitude these colleges are encouraging in these kids is absolutely terrifying lmao

I'm currently in college myself and trigger the fuck out of my classmates just wearing a Donald pump shirt "make America swole again"

But because most of the participation trophy safe space kiddies that wanna debate me have ear gauges and dramatically colored hair, and I'm like twice their size, and when they lack a spine...well it makes arguing my points pretty boring since they never get past their buzzword arguments
    It sounds like you need a safe space from college kids. Come here, you can cry on my shoulder!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post

This really just comes off as rambling bravado without acknowledging anything that challenges your worldview. You also assume things about me, which you really should not do.

Are a lot of these kids being wishy washy? yes, and they need to learn to deal with it. That doesn't somehow make people with actual issues somehow worthy of being demeaned. But I wouldn't expect someone who brags like a macho man on the forums to really understand that. You do realize you sound like Tom Cruise, yes?