Monks as raid healers

Hi everyone,

I've done some extensive reading on mistweavers due to having to fill in for lack of heals in the guild.

From what I've gathered we can be pretty solid raid healers (this is what we are lacking atm, we have priests and HPally) I just wanted to hear from you more experienced MWs if this is indeed the case, and if it is, how do you recommend the playstyle to be? Is there a certain proper/best way to go about "rotation" and not go oom easily? Any particular strategies or things to do?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Light

Monk raid healing like in WoD is more about burst healing. During non healing intense parts help out heal tanks with Enveloping Mist/Soothing Mist while using Renewing Mist on CD, I find myself using Thunder Focus Tea to get more ReMs out 90% of the time, on mana intense fights I'll use it for free Vivifys more, never use it for EM and EF. Then burst healing is about using Essence Font, Vivifying those hit with it, and using Vivify when the ReM proc happens

Quote Originally Posted by Wakaga View Post
    Monk raid healing like in WoD is more about burst healing. During non healing intense parts help out heal tanks with Enveloping Mist/Soothing Mist while using Renewing Mist on CD, I find myself using Thunder Focus Tea to get more ReMs out 90% of the time, on mana intense fights I'll use it for free Vivifys more, never use it for EM and EF. Then burst healing is about using Essence Font, Vivifying those hit with it, and using Vivify when the ReM proc happens
    So there is a sinergy between Essence Font and Vivify? I must've missed while reading on MWs, I'll have to set up my grid to show the poeple hit by Essence Font. Can you tell me what is the effect vivify has on people affected by Essence Font?

You misunderstood, he just said to use EF and Vivify as a complimentary filler when there's aoe burst healing to do. Both spell don't benefit from each other (sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzmaw View Post
    You misunderstood, he just said to use EF and Vivify as a complimentary filler when there's aoe burst healing to do. Both spell don't benefit from each other (sadly).
    This isnt 100% True, Wakaga is refering to the Essence Font HOT that is dropped on ppl after it heals them. This HOT causes Gust of Mists to procc twice. So you use vivify on a target with the Essence Font HOT and get that extra heal on that target(Vivify only gains the Gust of Mist on the Primary target of the heal btw).

Its not game breaking but not doing this is causing you to lose healing.

Hope this helps

Dehvi

Deleted
    Also have some aoe healing cooldowns in chi burst, revival and celestial breath trait on your focus tea. As well the 90tier talent either rjw or chi-ji

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakaga View Post
    using Thunder Focus Tea to get more ReMs out 90% of the time, on mana intense fights I'll use it for free Vivifys more, never use it for EM and EF.
    I disagree, some times TFT + intant EM can save a tank's life.

I don't use it often, maybe once every few fights, but it's definitely a valid option for emergency heals.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if Chi Ji is still a better raid talent than the statue after its nerf?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Dehvi View Post
    This isnt 100% True, Wakaga is refering to the Essence Font HOT that is dropped on ppl after it heals them. This HOT causes Gust of Mists to procc twice. So you use vivify on a target with the Essence Font HOT and get that extra heal on that target(Vivify only gains the Gust of Mist on the Primary target of the heal btw).

Hope this helps

Dehvi
    Gotcha, the synergy is indeed notable

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Anyone know if Chi Ji is still a better raid talent than the statue after its nerf?
    We are 2 MWs in our raid setup, my friend using Chi Ji and me Statue, we are everytime making joke of each other with this, but actually I think that he did better numbers with Chi Ji at most fights, especially longer ones with more aoe dmg. I am swapping these talents situational.

Thanks for the answers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I disagree, some times TFT + intant EM can save a tank's life.

I don't use it often, maybe once every few fights, but it's definitely a valid option for emergency heals.

- - - Updated - - -

Chi-Ji is still amazing in my honest opinion, for the 45 seconds its up its like having .5-1 full extra healer in your group, I even have Unison Spaulders and prefer her to Statue. And EM does what like...50k on cast? If I'm moving and have to be moving I'll TFT an EM on a tank, but if you're the only one going "oh shit heal the tank" they are most likely going to die without help from other healers, and then the other healers "help" is enough to save the tank on their own and I would much rather have gotten another ReM out. That's just the way I look at it at least. I have a very strong HPriest/HPal I heal with and honestly only ever heal tanks as filler.

Deleted
    Quick question to the Unison Spaulders. I'm not sure about this, but i think they are not working. At first i thought, that the second soothing mist was just not animated, but i dont see any healing received in my scrolling battle text addon either. Can anybody confirm, whether it does/does not work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korokoro View Post
    Quick question to the Unison Spaulders. I'm not sure about this, but i think they are not working. At first i thought, that the second soothing mist was just not animated, but i dont see any healing received in my scrolling battle text addon either. Can anybody confirm, whether it does/does not work?
    It is animated, get 2 people to stand close to each other and channel soothing onto one, you will see another mist beam go from the main target to the other person.

Also if you have warcraft logs you will see the healing appear as "unison" on your logs.

Unison, Statue and Mistwraps is the lazy mans way to heal farm content , that combo accounted for 20% of my healing on Normal Odyn last night :P

To answer the OP, Mistweavers are great healers and in my opinion one of the most fun, they have a lot to think about and with their talents there a lot of combo's that keep healing fresh.

When I got Unison Spaulders I was pretty salty tbh, but even on fights where I do minimal Soothing Mist channeling I find it doing 2-3% of my healing, which is like having an extra trinket proc (albeit not a great one). I still think MW have the worst Legendaries of all the healing specs, when I see Druid/Shaman ones I am very very envious.

What are you kidding me? I am pretty sure Unison is the best MW legendary atm. It heals 6-7% of my total heal every raid and I am always top heals, neck and neck with our druid healer (who has 12 more ilevel than me.)

I was pretty happy when I got the legs, but these shoulders sound pretty cool.

Which is better?

EDIT: I've also got the boots, but can't equip them yet
    Last edited by yesjonny; 2016-11-22 at 01:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RockJohnAxe View Post
    What are you kidding me? I am pretty sure Unison is the best MW legendary atm. It heals 6-7% of my total heal every raid and I am always top heals, neck and neck with our druid healer (who has 12 more ilevel than me.)
    Logs please?

If he is 12 ilvl ahead of you, he should be doing way more healing than you, so either he sucks or you guys are over stacked on healers resulting in sole burst healing which sucks for a rdruid

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Dehvi View Post

Hope this helps

Dehvi
    I don't quite understand, not sure if I'm being stupid.. Could you elaborate in anyway?
    I get that people healed by Essence Font gets this HoT, that heals them for next 5 seconds.
    But how come it procs mastery twice? And why does it matter if I vivify on those targets? Maybe I'm missing something...
    Last edited by mmoc246a5500b7; 2016-11-22 at 03:06 PM.

@seba2632

Essence Font is a channeled heal that adds a HoT to the target. The HoT itself is pretty weak but the additional effect of the HoT is what makes it very good: the HoT makes the next healing abilities procc Mastery twice on that target.

Normal scenario: you're healing target A with Vivify - the primary Vivify target gets Gust of Mist + Vivify heal

Essence Font HoT active: you're healing target A with Vivify while the Essence Font HoT is on target A - the primary Vivify target gets Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist + Vivify heal

Any target that has the Essence Font HoT on them is healed by your Mastery twice instead of once per cast.

Normal: Renewing Mist + Gust of Mist
    With Essence Font HoT: Renewing Mist + Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist

Normal: Enveloping Mist + Gust of Mist
    With Essence Font HoT: Enveloping Mist + Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist

etc.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2016-11-22 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    @seba2632

Essence Font is a channeled heal that adds a HoT to the target. The HoT itself is pretty weak but the additional effect of the HoT is what makes it very good: the HoT makes the next healing abilities procc Mastery twice on that target.

Normal scenario: you're healing target A with Vivify - the primary Vivify target gets Gust of Mist + Vivify heal

Essence Font HoT active: you're healing target A with Vivify while the Essence Font HoT is on target A - the primary Vivify target gets Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist + Vivify heal

Any target that has the Essence Font HoT on them is healed by your Mastery twice instead of once per cast.

Normal: Renewing Mist + Gust of Mist
    With Essence Font HoT: Renewing Mist + Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist

Normal: Enveloping Mist + Gust of Mist
    With Essence Font HoT: Enveloping Mist + Gust of Mist + Gust of Mist

etc.
    Oh yea, that makes sense. Let's say the group is taking heavy dmg, would you channel the EF fully out, or would you just let the HoT hit on all 5 players, and then use Vivify?

Quote Originally Posted by seba2632 View Post
    Oh yea, that makes sense. Let's say the group is taking heavy dmg, would you channel the EF fully out, or would you just let the HoT hit on all 5 players, and then use Vivify?
    Channel EF until the end. And remember, Vivify only procs Mastery on your primary target so when you want to make full use of EF HoT and Mastery, change your primary target from Vivify.