CPU: Intel i7-4990k
    Motherboard: MS - 7869 VER: 1.0
    RAM: 2x 8GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800u-11-12-B1
    GPU: Intel GTX 770
    Power Supply: Corsair, CX600
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Resolution: 1980-1020

Problem:

I was running a WoW dungeon and in the midst of everything, my mouse and keyboard started dying out. They would occasionally stop functioning altogether along with the following message: "Power Surge On Hub Port: A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"
    Eventually my USB ports stopped working at all, so I turned off my computer and went right to sleep.

The following day I turned on my computer again and it was fine for like 30 minutes. All of the sudden same shit happens, and I decide to attempt to restart my computer. Attempt being the keyword...

It just didn't turn on at all. Straight up nothing happened at all. It was like no power was being supplied to the computer at all. I've read a lot of troubleshooting online, and it seems to mostly boil down to either the PSU, Motherboard or CPU. I tried the trick of taking a hairpin and connect it to my PSU's green & black connecter. The fan actually started turning off when doing the trick.

I read that it might not even be that great of a indicator though, as a PSU can still be fucked with the motherboard even if it starts up with the hairpin trick.

So here I am, pleading for anyone to help me. Is it truly my motherboard which is dead or the PSU? Initially it seemed like it might've been the PSU due to the power surge messages I was getting earlier, but I'm not certain. Any help is appreciated.

I'd bet the PSU gone and hit the bucket.
    If your able enough try opening the thing ( when it's not plugged in ofcourse ) and checking all the capacitators.
    If these little cilinders have a top thats not flat it means it's broken. ( insides expanded from failure )

I replaced some in my old PSU after it went dead. still works to this day

Els get a new PSU full modulair and with sleeves clabes >
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Deleted
    Update: Attempted to reset CMOS by removing the battery, but no signs of life. Not able to open up the PSU properly, apologies. I would have to pry it open, which seems a bit risky to me.

A interesting discovery however is that when I do the hairpin trick to power on my PSU without connecting it to the motherboard.
    When I connect my PSU to the motherboard shortly after trying said trick, I can see a sign of life from my motherboard. For like less than a second all the LEDS in my computer turn off and immediately turns off. Don't know if it means it's down to the PSU after all, but at least the motherboard isn't completely devoid of life. Don't know if this is proof that PSU is 100% at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicMan View Post
    Update: Attempted to reset CMOS by removing the battery, but no signs of life. Not able to open up the PSU properly, apologies. I would have to pry it open, which seems a bit risky to me.

A interesting discovery however is that when I do the hairpin trick to power on my PSU without connecting it to the motherboard.
    When I connect my PSU to the motherboard shortly after trying said trick, I can see a sign of life from my motherboard. For like less than a second all the LEDS in my computer turn off and immediately turns off. Don't know if it means it's down to the PSU after all, but at least the motherboard isn't completely devoid of life. Don't know if this is proof that PSU is 100% at fault.
    Personally, I would not hook that PSU back up to that motherboard at all. It certainly sounds like failing PSU and while it is much rarer these days, a failing PSU can take out other components with it. If you are having any sort of issues that may even seem remotely related to the PSU, I would not have it hooked up to the motherboard at all until the problem has been properly diagnosed.

Also, good call on not pulling the PSU apart. Can't believe someone mentioned doing that on here. If you are not a qualified professional(meaning, that's what you get paid to do for a living) and do not know what you are doing, you could seriously hurt yourself messing with the insides of a PSU. @wrathblade If you are going to suggest people do this, please, inform them of the risks beforehand. Don't just go telling someone to do it if they are able.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicMan View Post
    General information

CPU: Intel i7-4990k
    Motherboard: MS - 7869 VER: 1.0
    RAM: 2x 8GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800u-11-12-B1
    GPU: Intel GTX 770
    Power Supply: Corsair, CX600
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Resolution: 1980-1020

Problem:

I was running a WoW dungeon and in the midst of everything, my mouse and keyboard started dying out. They would occasionally stop functioning altogether along with the following message: "Power Surge On Hub Port: A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"
    Eventually my USB ports stopped working at all, so I turned off my computer and went right to sleep.

The following day I turned on my computer again and it was fine for like 30 minutes. All of the sudden same shit happens, and I decide to attempt to restart my computer. Attempt being the keyword...

It just didn't turn on at all. Straight up nothing happened at all. It was like no power was being supplied to the computer at all. I've read a lot of troubleshooting online, and it seems to mostly boil down to either the PSU, Motherboard or CPU. I tried the trick of taking a hairpin and connect it to my PSU's green & black connecter. The fan actually started turning off when doing the trick.

I read that it might not even be that great of a indicator though, as a PSU can still be fucked with the motherboard even if it starts up with the hairpin trick.

So here I am, pleading for anyone to help me. Is it truly my motherboard which is dead or the PSU? Initially it seemed like it might've been the PSU due to the power surge messages I was getting earlier, but I'm not certain. Any help is appreciated.

that sounds like some trick maybe you could try killing yourself by just sticking that hair pin in a socket instead cuz you seem to want to be electrocuted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Personally, I would not hook that PSU back up to that motherboard at all. It certainly sounds like failing PSU and while it is much rarer these days, a failing PSU can take out other components with it. If you are having any sort of issues that may even seem remotely related to the PSU, I would not have it hooked up to the motherboard at all until the problem has been properly diagnosed.
    Thanks, I guess I can safely guess it's the PSU being faulty. This time I think I'll opt for a slightly more adequate PSU compared to my GPU/CPU.
    Do you have any possible PSU recommendations for me? Is 600W alright, or should I opt for slightly more?

that sounds like some trick maybe you could try killing yourself by just sticking that hair pin in a socket instead cuz you seem to want to be electrocuted.
    It seemed like a very popular method of checking if your PSU was dead or not. Afaik as long as you insert the paper clip/hair pin into both green and black socket it should be safe, as well as providing a means to see if the PSU has some life in it. Apologies if I did something astoundingly stupid.

Edit: It also seems like a fairly bad way of determining if your PSU is faulty. It doesn't properly check your PSU on actual load, but moreso whether its completely dead or not from what I read.
    Last edited by mmocede777d469; 2016-11-17 at 08:51 PM.