Thread: [TV] The Flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    For myself, it's because good writing would have a reason why they didn't unmask, rather than standing there for a bit doing nothing, then another bad guy shows up and stuff. It's like they didn't really care who Alchemy was, even though they'd been discussing things all along. Sure the plot wants to string it along, but at least give it a decent reason other than "because it's a trope".
    They weren't expecting to get interrupted by an invisible God of Speed, so weren't in a rush. Plus, a mask that size could've been booby-trapped, I wouldn't want to pull that off without having a bomb-sniffing dog check him first.

Heck, forget unmasking. In the 33 seconds between Alchemy being disarmed and the ground starting to shake, why didn't any of the cops present actually say something like "You're under arrest" or restrain/cuff him or start to read him his Miranda rights? I'd consider that to be more unrealistic than not immediately trying to undress him.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    They weren't expecting to get interrupted by an invisible God of Speed, so weren't in a rush. Plus, a mask that size could've been booby-trapped, I wouldn't want to pull that off without having a bomb-sniffing dog check him first.
    Because booby-trapping your mask is just plain dumb and would have killed the villain anyway, so... that works too I guess, dead villains need no id.

Heck, forget unmasking. In the 33 seconds between Alchemy being disarmed and the ground starting to shake, why didn't any of the cops present actually say something like "You're under arrest" or restrain/cuff him or start to read him his Miranda rights? I'd consider that to be more unrealistic than not immediately trying to undress him.
    The "unmasking" was part of a larger problem of securing the scene, sure. They didn't secure the Stone in any way, they didn't handcuff the guy, look for weapons, unmask, anything. Plotwise it was just a setup for the bad guy reveal, but it could have been done much better IMO. Hell, why did they give Alchemy and Wally so much talking time? Shouldn't they have raided as soon as it was revealed Alchemy was actually there? I complained about the Arrow stuff on the Arrow thread, but both of them just had some very bad "realism" this week.

I mean, defeat Alchemy, Stone skitters away, Alchemy says "ha ha, I'm not the final boss" and then new guy zips in and starts shit, within a few seconds. Wally looks at the Stone at his feet, grabs it to help Barry vs the new guy and gets his cocoon. Same ending without awkward staring.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post

Another TV trope. You don't have to mirandize suspects every time you arrest them.

So was Savitar supposed to be made of glass or something? Also I assume he was the one writing Alchemy on glass to the flashpoint powered people.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Another TV trope. You don't have to mirandize suspects every time you arrest them.
    .......uh, yes you do. At least before you question them.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    .......uh, yes you do. At least before you question them.
    Only, if you're questioning them. If lets say one is foolish enough to commit the crime in the presence of the police, then no questioning is required, just an arrest. Also, asking for their name, for instance, isn't considered questioning, as in many municipalities you are required to identify yourself when asked to do so by law enforcement.

You're right, it's unrealistic to expect a TV Trope on a television show.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    So was Savitar supposed to be made of glass or something? Also I assume he was the one writing Alchemy on glass to the flashpoint powered people.
    Iris didn't see the writing on the glass, so it wasn't physically being written, just a hallucination/ vision.

I'm not sure why Savitar isn't visible though, so who knows, I'm sure it'll be explained as vibration based or something.

Was going to say, it's usually a terrible idea to read someone their rights immediately after arresting them.
    Last edited by Bdatik; 2016-11-18 at 01:37 AM.

He said it himself hes a god of speed, would make sense to me that only a speedster could see him.

Iris didn't see the writing on the glass, so it wasn't physically being written, just a hallucination/ vision.

I'm not sure why Savitar isn't visible though, so who knows, I'm sure it'll be explained as vibration based or something.
    I was thinking that the reason Iris couldn't see it was because she wasnt really effected by flashpoint like Wally gaining and losing powers. Savitar I'm thinking is like stuck between that timeline and this one which is why Barry can see him and the metas that lost powers can see the writing. Prob wrong tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    He said it himself hes a god of speed, would make sense to me that only a speedster could see him.
    What we don't know is if he is literally a God of speed, or if he is just so full of himself that he gave himself a nickname.

Why does anyone act like failing to unmask a villain or hero is not a well established comic book trope?
    It being well established doesn't make it not bad. At least when executed the way it was in Flash, with pointless chitchat with Alchemy.

Anyway, I wonder what's the link between Savitar and Alchemy. Was Savitar the one who killed Rival? Rival could see something after all. So maybe only speedsters can see him indeed. While it would be weird Barry didn't notice him on the recording from Rival's cell, I guess it could be explained by cameras not being able to capture him at all, leaving Barry nothing to see. Is Alchemy Savitar's accomplice? Servant? Is whatever it is Alchemy is preparing the world for related to Savitar? Or is Savitar only a symptom of some major fuckup of the time/Speedforce by Barry?
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-11-18 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Because booby-trapping your mask is just plain dumb and would have killed the villain anyway, so... that works too I guess, dead villains need no id.
    Did you not watch Arrow this week? Or the Dark Knight?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Did you read what was being responded to or just the response?
    I read what was being responded to (I presume you mean " Plus, a mask that size could've been booby-trapped, I wouldn't want to pull that off without having a bomb-sniffing dog check him first.") . And pointed out two pertinent examples where masks were booby-trapped. I'm not sure the issue.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Anyway, I wonder what's the link between Savitar and Alchemy. Was Savitar the one who killed Rival? Rival could see something after all. So maybe only speedsters can see him indeed. While it would be weird Barry didn't notice him on the recording from Rival's cell, I guess it could be explained by cameras not being able to capture him at all, leaving Barry nothing to see. Is Alchemy Savitar's accomplice? Servant? Is whatever it is Alchemy is preparing the world for related to Savitar? Or is Savitar only a symptom of some major fuckup of the time/Speedforce by Barry?
    The hand we saw grab the Rival at the end of "Paradox" had the same pointy-metal style as Savitar, so it's pretty certain Savitar killed the Rival. As for their relation, Alchemy and the other hooded husk-metas seemed to be worshiping at an altar in several scenes; I would not be surprised if that altar is to Savitar, which would make their relationship more along the lines of Deity/worshiper.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Did you not watch Arrow this week? Or the Dark Knight?
    Sure, and I commented on the Arrow stupidity in the Arrow thread. Do you really think you can set off explosives on your chest that throw someone back 10' and leave you unharmed? To the point you can slip away without anyone seeing you?

For me, it's just bad writing, if you want to dismiss it as "it's a comic book, so bad writing is fine" or whatever, so be it. I'm not going to stop watching the shows, but not sure why you're defending it either?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I don't think Alchemy has any powers, just the stone, so possibly Savitar gave him the stone. I'm sure they'll go into more detail through the season.

Except for an alien invasion that sidetracks stuff for a week before going back to normal I guess. :-p

I agree how it was used in Arrow was silly, but I'm just pointing out such a thing exists and a superhero would be foolish to ignore the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I agree how it was used in Arrow was silly, but I'm just pointing out such a thing exists and a superhero would be foolish to ignore the risk.
    It's sort of funny, since Barry moves so fast he could probably escape the blast if the plot wanted him to, but then he's also easy to hit with the Alchemy beams and stuff. The show really doesn't keep his powers consistent at all. (Which is another comic book/ tv trope, probably. :-p

It's sort of funny, since Barry moves so fast he could probably escape the blast if the plot wanted him to, but then he's also easy to hit with the Alchemy beams and stuff. The show really doesn't keep his powers consistent at all. (Which is another comic book/ tv trope, probably. :-p
    Remember when Flash saved Oliver from Darkh last season? I still don't know why he didn't just grab Darkh and stick him somewhere and then sort out the situation. Would've solved a lot of problems.