Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    While you can get to level 50 without doing the main story, you'd have nothing to do because in order to unlock anything, you need to have done the main story.
    so is good to do it once then for alts you do this yes?

Yeah Main story for your main job, everything else for alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Your friend was right, without the job crystal you don't get the job skills. I got to level 50 PGL inside PotD and had no MNK skills, which is when I decided not to go past floor 30 before I got the crystal on that class.
    Makes leveling a lancer almost as boring as PLD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    My friend got to 35 by the time we ended on floor 20 and swears he didn't have defiance nor inner beast (as MRD). I didn't walk over and visually verify that myself, though.

Somewhat a moot point now, though, since he has WAR unlocked now.

- - - Updated - - -

Rise? More like stoop down below.
    Welllll my dragoon and machinist hotbars had everything even the post 60 job quest only skills

- - - Updated - - -

Your friend was right, without the job crystal you don't get the job skills. I got to level 50 PGL inside PotD and had no MNK skills, which is when I decided not to go past floor 30 before I got the crystal on that class.
    Ahhhhh this is why then need the job unlocked to get em but at the same time do not nees it to get to 60

- - - Updated - - -

There's pretty much no avoiding the main story, due to it having so much stuff (dungeons in particular) locked behind it. Want a mount? Locked behind main story. Dungeon roulettes? Gotta run them all at least once.

It's a great way to bump xp along, though. After you've leveled so many classes/jobs via FATE grinding, just about anything is more appealling.
    Plus main story is the fastest way to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Welllll my dragoon and machinist hotbars had everything even the post 60 job quest only skills

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhhh this is why then need the job unlocked to get em but at the same time do not nees it to get to 60

- - - Updated - - -

Plus main story is the fastest way to level.
    Yeah, like I know you get the skills as you level in PotD. Was referring to the fact my friend didn't have WAR job stone at the time. I've leveled several other jobs via PotD and it was kinda nice to have all the skills layed out in advance.

Based on what I observed when he stayed at my house and I helped him along, the fastest thing for leveling was a combination of dungeons and leves. I was able to one shot mobs for any leves where he had to simply kill things, so was able to burn those down really quick. Batch of 3-4 leve turn ins was worth over half a level at a time. Not everyone has a pocket level 60 friend on hand, though...but the dungeon point still remains valid (think he got a level and a half from first run in either Sastasha or Copperbell...it was crazy).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, like I know you get the skills as you level in PotD. Was referring to the fact my friend didn't have WAR job stone at the time. I've leveled several other jobs via PotD and it was kinda nice to have all the skills layed out in advance.

Based on what I observed when he stayed at my house and I helped him along, the fastest thing for leveling was a combination of dungeons and leves. I was able to one shot mobs for any leves where he had to simply kill things, so was able to burn those down really quick. Batch of 3-4 leve turn ins was worth over half a level at a time. Not everyone has a pocket level 60 friend on hand, though...but the dungeon point still remains valid (think he got a level and a half from first run in either Sastasha or Copperbell...it was crazy).
    Oh if you have the recruit a friend head piece and the ring with rested xp you can easily get 2-3 levels from your first random. And yeah once a day random dungeon will get you half to a level or more..though if unlucky post 50 less buuut still more then PotD

This game is the only mmorpg I've ever played post WoW that actually kept my interest. I'm considering re-subbing again instead of working on a ton of alts in WoW. I have some issues with certain QoL issues compared to WoW but honestly its the only mmorpg that can compete with WoW for me.

Music is great too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    Yep, music is great, visuals are appealing, too (and hopefully will improve with Stormblood and PS3 support gone), but:
    As the casual, that I am, I really don't find any activities to do than the anima weapon. And because I ended the actual step, I already cancelled my sub again til 3.5.
    I don not raid (nor see I reasons in that, equipment seems hardly better than tomestone gear and there are no set bonusses or amazing trinkets or the like that would change anything) and I really cannot stand running the same 2 Dungeons for weeks to get best gear for all slots.
    Crafting is mostly pointless I find but therefore much too complicated. And I don't like to run old content (khloe-stuff).
    Jobs I like are 60.
    On the other hand, when I log into WoW there is always something to do. World quets of interest, world quests for daily cache, my falcosaurus pet, a dungeon/lfr/bg, farming some mog-gear, weekly suramar quests, experiencing different campaigns on alts...yea, that's what comes to my mind spontaneously. Surely there is more.

FFXIV may be great game with a great story, but the endgame really sucks for me. Hopefully this will change in Stormblood. I will definitely buy and play.
    Funny, for me it's the exact other way around.
    I've played FF14 before but went back to WoW for legion. Now im back in FF14.
    WQ's are just glorified dailies and there's not that much variety, falcosaurs are locked behind 1/2 quests per day (cooldown on the pets), dungeons have not much point once you reached 870 and the legion dungeons are kinda boring bar a few. I've had a lot of fun with Legion but now i got the same old bored feeling again in WoW. Also you don't like running old content but you want to farm mog gear? Farming mog gear == old content.
    In FF14 i find WAY more stuff to do at endgame even without raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    Yep, music is great, visuals are appealing, too (and hopefully will improve with Stormblood and PS3 support gone), but:
    As the casual, that I am, I really don't find any activities to do than the anima weapon. And because I ended the actual step, I already cancelled my sub again til 3.5.
    I don not raid (nor see I reasons in that, equipment seems hardly better than tomestone gear and there are no set bonusses or amazing trinkets or the like that would change anything) and I really cannot stand running the same 2 Dungeons for weeks to get best gear for all slots.
    Crafting is mostly pointless I find but therefore much too complicated. And I don't like to run old content (khloe-stuff).
    Jobs I like are 60.
    On the other hand, when I log into WoW there is always something to do. World quets of interest, world quests for daily cache, my falcosaurus pet, a dungeon/lfr/bg, farming some mog-gear, weekly suramar quests, experiencing different campaigns on alts...yea, that's what comes to my mind spontaneously. Surely there is more.

FFXIV may be great game with a great story, but the endgame really sucks for me. Hopefully this will change in Stormblood. I will definitely buy and play.
    In my case I actually find legions endgame tedious like the same zones the same quests over Abd over,..but then I have 3 110s one of whom still needs to finish the class hall campaign annnd then add in having to do the same exact quests on every bloody toon...ughh gets old fast.

Ffxiv? I do take breaks myself but I log on and plenty to do at least for me

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's slow in the beginning but the main scenarion story really picks up, especially if you get Heavensward as well, that stuff is damn good.

Deleted
    thanks for all the replies, guys.
    been offline for a few days, so this is the 1st chance ive had to reply.
    defo going to give it a go, going to download the free trial now.
    thanks once again for all the comments.

Deleted
    just an update.
    playing a cunjurer, currently lvl 16 & thoroughly enjoying it.
    storylines are superb, cut scenes even more so.
    yep, a top game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Time to reactivate that sub!!
    PotD is certainly one of new way to level up in addition to try out new lvl 60 abilities asap. But ideally you can easily mix it up along with MSQ, hunting log, roulettes, challenge logs, and PotD as a filler unless it's your main job, if it's alt then you get to spend most of time with PotD.

So, how is the PVE content (I am more so talking about any type of "progressive" advancing in a group PVE scenario) compared to your traditional MMO. Is this more crafting based/Storyline based. Or does it have pretty good PVE content.

FF14 isn't laser-focused on the 'raid or die' mentality that drives WoW. There are many ways to get better gear, and no gear is exclusively better than other gear, i.e. has some kind of special set bonus unavailable elsewhere. Besides dungeons, raids and trials(which are basically one-boss fights), you have your open-world content like FATEs and Hunts(kill special mob spawns), and you have content like the Deep Dungeon, which is a role-less rogue-lite kind of experience.

A definite positive for me is the ability to have all the classes/jobs on a single character, and to get gear currency for doing all sorts of things, not just one or two things.

Story is a big element to the PvE, it's required that you advance it to unlock most of the game content, and you can't even touch the expansion content without finishing all of the core story first. That is slated to carry through with the next expansion as well. So for good or ill, you'll have to go through it(barring the addition of a jump potion or whatever they've been discussing).

As far as crafting goes, there's more time and effort required than in other games like WoW, as they're each their own class with their own stories. You don't need to craft, all the gear you really need can be obtained with gear currency or through other means, but it remains an option if you want to take advantage.

Ultimately, give the trial a whirl and see what you think.

So on this topic, my friend asked me the other day if they'd added some kind of feature that allows you to level much easier than in the past and as a result the game was suffering an influx of players who didn't really have to learn their jobs like before.

I'm not interested in the complaint about unskilled players and whatnot, but I am very interested in learning about any system they introduced to make it so I can level another job and not have to grind FATEs to do it - I already have DRG and DRK at cap, kind of want to try mucking around on a monk or paladin - is this true?

If so, what is it if I may ask?
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Olrox View Post
    If so, what is it if I may ask?
    That would be Palace of the Dead, the Deep Dungeon. You can enter it on any job at any level. Your level and gear outside POTD are irrelevant inside. You level inside POTD, acquiring the skills you would as you level outside, only much faster. You get actual experience on the job in question by clearing 10 floors at a time(there are 200 total, the first 100 being for story and the rest just for challenge), as well as the possibility of getting loot sacks in your exploration, and through building up a stat inside called Aetherpool, the chance to take your POTD weapon outside the Palace, netting you an easy i235 weapon for your job(s) of choice.

That's only touching the tip of the iceberg, do a search on Reddit for a more involved breakdown.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    the last FF games i played was FF7 & 8 & that was many moons ago, so im curious as to whether its worth buying FF XIV & what are its main selling points compared to maybe wow or aion?
    im not necessarily talking graphics, just general gameplay.
    Crafting
    Character design
    Raid / Dungeon presentation

That's ffxiv strongest points imo.
    You cared enough to post.