Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

An Open Letter to President-elect Donald Trump (from the "press"

http://www.press.org/news-multimedia...t-donald-trump

Dear President-elect Trump,

We, a group of diverse journalism associations representing thousands of journalists from the nation's capital to every corner of the country, begin this letter on a hopeful note. Your administration is a blank slate and we are eager to work with you to perpetuate one of this nation's great strengths: our freedom of the press.

As the new leader of the free world, we expect that you will preserve longstanding traditions that ensure coverage of the Trump presidency. The idea of a press pool that covers all of the president's movements is one that dates back to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt administration. Every president of both parties has treated this important tradition with respect. The role of the press pool is critically important to our country, whose citizens depend on and deserve to know what the president is doing. This isn't about access for the press itself, it's about access for Americans in diverse communities across the country. Your constituents receive information from a variety of platforms to learn about what our president is doing.

Being president is an enormous responsibility and working with the White House Correspondents’ Association to ensure journalists' access is one small but important part of that. We call on you to commit to a protective press pool from now until the final day of your presidency. We respectfully ask you to instill a spirit of openness and transparency in your administration in many ways but first and foremost via the press pool.

We also call for access to you via regular press conferences and pool sprays and to your key decision-makers. You have an opportunity as incoming president to set the tone for your staff speaking on the record for the sake of transparency. We also hope your administration will improve response rates to FOIA requests as a way to show the American people, and the world, that the republic belongs to the people.

A great America depends on having sunlight on its leaders. We expect the traditions of White House press coverage to be upheld whether in Washington or elsewhere. Again we, a joint group of diverse journalism associations, speak as one as we respectfully ask that you take these steps to ensure access to our members covering your administration.
    Hopefully Trump issues a resounding "Fuck you" to this letter.

The only access he should grant is to Breitbart News and Fox.

ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and ESPECIALLY CNN (along with the NY TImes and Washington Post) should be told to go fuck themselves. Let them go cover Hillary, Bernie, et, al,

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post

ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and ESPECIALLY CNN (along with the NY TImes and Washington Post) should be told to go fuck themselves. Let them go cover Hillary, Bernie, et, al,
    So you want a safe-space? Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pool spray?

Deleted
    So, basically, only have a propaganda arm of the government then? Who would be nominated as Goebbels?

What about RT America, by the way? Would they fit on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    So you want a safe-space? Got it.
    Funny how the ones complaining about safe-spaces the most, and ridiculing them, are at the same time the same people who want them for themselves.

Also, in response to this part. When this seems to be the idea from many right wingers, I don't want to hear a single wingnut mention the phrase "freedom of speech" again under any circumstance.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-11-18 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Nothing screams party of small government like wanting a state approved media empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Funny how the ones complaining about safe-spaces the most, and ridiculing them, are at the same time the same people who want them for themselves.
    Often the same people who complain about "indoctrination" and censorship.

My open letter to Trump would be to tell him to not work with the mainstream media. The mainstream media was hard in the tank for Hillary. They did everything they could to get her elected. They have basically become the propaganda wing of the Dem party. Why on Earth would he work with them now?

They are even working against him right now and he isn't even the president yet.

When Obama got elected: the media narrative was the that the Pubs better not stand in Obama's way. They better not be "obstructionists." The people have spoken, we all have to support him now, yada, yada ,yada.

When Trump wins: the media narrative is that Trump better reach across the isle. He better cooporate with the Dems and bring everyone together. Yet they are still beating the "racist, bigot, sexists" drum, the very same rhetoric that cost them the election.

It didn't work during the election and it isn't working now. The Dems have been calling the repubs 'racists and sexist" for sooooo long that it has become like the boy that cries wolf. No one believes it anymore, unless you are a hardcore Dem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    My open letter to Trump would be to tell him to not work with the mainstream media. The mainstream media was hard in the tank for Hillary. They did everything they could to get her elected. They have basically become the propaganda wing of the Dem party. Why on Earth would he work with them now?

They are even working against him right now and he isn't even the president yet.

When Obama got elected: the media narrative was the that the Pubs better not stand in Obama's way. They better not be "obstructionists." The people have spoken, we all have to support him now, yada, yada ,yada.

When Trump wins: the media narrative is that Trump better reach across the isle. He better cooporate with the Dems and bring everyone together. Yet they are still beating the "racist, bigot, sexists" drum, the very same rhetoric that cost them the election.

It didn't work during the election and it isn't working now. The Dems have been calling the repubs 'racists and sexist" for sooooo long that it has become like the boy that cries wolf. No one believes it anymore, unless you are a hardcore Dem.
    Because there's this little thing called freedom of speech. Doesn't matter if the media hates him. The news outlets have the right to that opinion and it is trump's duty as president to allow them to express those opinions. Not allowing the media to cover his presidency up close would be a disgusting and obvious suppression of free speech.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't take it that far,

But at the same time, i'd understand not wanting much to do with the blubbering asses known as Mainstream Media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a list of only media you approve of and only want to have around is how you get state sponsored media. Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Because there's this little thing called freedom of speech. Doesn't matter if the media hates him. The news outlets have the right to that opinion and it is trump's duty as president to allow them to express those opinions. Not allowing the media to cover his presidency up close would be a disgusting and obvious suppression of free speech.
    I am not saying he should bar them from covering him or anything like that, I just don't think he should cooperate and make it easy for them.

We don't need the press to cover the President anymore now that we have the internet.

Trump could just stream his speeches, appearances and meetings online and just cut out the middle man. We could watch it and decide on our own what we think without some "journalist" trying to spin it in some weak attempt to tell us how to think.

It could be like the modern version of the "fireside chat." (started by FDR).

I just don't see what Trump has to gain by working with a press that is so adamantly against him. They are just going to try to twist everything he says in some kind of desperate attempt to discredit him.

Also, most people that voted for Trump obviously got their news from somewhere other than the mainstream media.

If they were listening to the mainstream media they would have thought Trump was losing so bad that it wasn't even worth it to go out and vote. As one member of the mainstream media said on election day (paraphrased): it is almost impossible for Trump to win, it would be the most colossal failure of polling ever, it is just not possible. Why would he work with these people again? They are just sooo wrong......

My open letter to Trump would be to tell him to not work with the mainstream media.
    I can't take anyone who says this seriously.
    This is just code for "people i dont agree with"

Fox is also "main stream" as in its on everyones satelite/cable :P

Make Steak Great Again! The press needs to give it a rest. Let the guy eat in peace. Nobody needs a camera up their butt 24/7.

Goes to show that Obama is the bigger man.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Deleted
    I am not saying he should bar them from covering him or anything like that, I just don't think he should cooperate and make it easy for them.
    I simply thought you were supporting the OP who was suggesting a total ban.

We don't need the press to cover the President anymore now that we have the internet.

Trump could just stream his speeches, appearances and meetings online and just cut out the middle man. We could watch it and decide on our own what we think without some "journalist" trying to spin it in some weak attempt to tell us how to think.
    Well if he did that journalists would have access to all of that and would in a society that has freedom of speech be allowed to interpret and write stories on it. And if he did not stream everything that any other president would have given the media access too then that would also be suppression of free speech. I'm all for just getting Trump's policies straight from the horse's mouth (because by far the best argument against trump is just to quote him) but journalists have a right to report on these things.

I just don't see what Trump has to gain by working with a press that is so adamantly against him.
    Oh only the preservation of free speech. He is the president, it is his job to be objective and impartial towards the media.

They are just going to try to twist everything he says in some kind of desperate attempt to discredit him.
    Which is their right.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Is it just the internet that is making this "Open letter" trend a thing or has this been a thing for longer than the internet?

I'm tired of seeing all these "open letters" from X person who feels like their opinion matters for some reason. Especially in cases like this...so the guy wanted to eat dinner in private with his family...guess what? Fuck off "journalists"...or should we just call you "exhibitionists" who feel the need to invade someone's private space just so you can tell people that Trump eats chicken with a fucking fork?

Enough with the "open letters" from butthurt entitled whiners and enough with this "entitled" behavior that is a fucking plague on the US (i can't speak to it as a world problem as i haven't traveled the globe to see if it plagues the rest of you, but i apologize to anyone else in the world that has to put up with that behavior).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    All ducks can now drop items.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Having a list of only media you approve of and only want to have around is how you get state sponsored media. Not a good thing.
    You clearly haven't paid attention during the past year. We already have that... It lead to Sanders being shoved aside for Clinton, Trump leading the GoP, and despite CNN/MSNBC/ABC and all but a few anchors on Fox, a Trump presidential election.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    You are 100% WRONG here. Sure, those that work in the media have a right to their PERSONAL opinions, but when it comes to REPORTING the "news", their PERSONAL OPINIONS are NOT news.

News is SUPPOSED to be fair and unbiased. However, that's not the news we see in the US at all from ANY media outlet. They are all biased one way or another and that's the lie that the general public is swallowing. We, the general public, are told that because there are varying "opinions" that support/do not support both sides, it's some how true media coverage, but that's just not true media coverage.

True media coverage needs to be opinion free and report FACTS.

We all know that's not going to happen though because all news outlets are more interested in ratings and selling advertising space during their biased programming.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    All ducks can now drop items.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    Is it just the internet that is making this "Open letter" trend a thing or has this been a thing for longer than the internet?

I'm tired of seeing all these "open letters" from X person who feels like their opinion matters for some reason. Especially in cases like this...so the guy wanted to eat dinner in private with his family...guess what? Fuck off "journalists"...or should we just call you "exhibitionists" who feel the need to invade someone's private space just so you can tell people that Trump eats chicken with a fucking fork?

Enough with the "open letters" from butthurt entitled whiners and enough with this "entitled" behavior that is a fucking plague on the US (i can't speak to it as a world problem as i haven't traveled the globe to see if it plagues the rest of you, but i apologize to anyone else in the world that has to put up with that behavior).
    Open letters are ancient.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agains...t_the_Peasants

There's Martin Luthor sending an open letter to the peasants of the German Peasant's War -- in 1525.