Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Princess Missfit View Post
    Final Fantasy VI & VII. (As an aside, the Spanish translation of FFVII is just... well, it's the most horrible translation on spanish history. It's worse than Engrish.)
    The german translation was really bad, as well... (Ich bin von Soldat!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Setting a dialogue to be sex-specific is as easy as setting those two conditions. "Sex: Female/Male" for the NPC, and the function "PC Sex: 0/1" for female/male player characters.
    You need to change ESM with external tools for that to work, creating even more incompatibilities. In properly made games, such things are controlled by the text only.
    And obviously there is no localization possible for classes, races and journal entries.

Magic Carpet 2 - I would pay good money for a remake!

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'd say Morrowind. Great game at the time, unplayable for most now.
    Lies - it just needs MSGO!

http://imgur.com/a/emJ7P
    http://imgur.com/a/hqsuS

Replaying right now, it genuinely looks amazing, much better than I thought any mod would ever be able to improve it
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Final Fantasy X; the voice acting was revolutionary at the time, but listening to it today...

Furthermore, FFX's pre-rendered cutscenes are migraine-inducing to watch today. It doesn't help that FFX's general artstyle itself is migraine-inducing. The battle music gets on your nerves twenty hours in, and the Sphere grid is another headache to manage. Still holds up better than FFXI's menu driven system!

Quote Originally Posted by Cûr View Post
    Original Everquest. Logged in to say hi to some old guildies that still play.

Oooof. That game looks like ass. It was mind-blowing back in 99 when we started but damn, unplayable.
    I will agree with that one for sure. Same experience here.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    FF7 certainly hasnt aged well graphically. Still, that gameplay, story and music, top notch and timeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    EverQuest. I am really surprised that it is still around at this point. It was already showing its age back in 04 when I switched to WoW.

Playing Commander Keen again (mods, specifically) has been fun, but good grief I did not miss spending half my time pressing escape, manually saving, then re-entering the game.

Granted that's only because I did, and continue to, suck at Commander Keen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

A game series nobody here will know of but:

Super Robot Wars F/Final

I played this when I was a kid but with the new games out now I can't even touch it or even most of the early SRW titles (including Alpha) again.
    Never mind the graphics, which to be fair is still ok but the loading times where abysmal, you could not skip battle animations like the newer games and computer controlled units were cheating ********s!

10+ Year Old Account
    Body Harvest on the N64, my first open-(ish)-world game I played, at the time it was so great, but my god now its awful.... awful controls, the graphics were alot worse than I remembered, but I still look on it with fondness and it was a totally fun game to play when I played it back in 1999. Its just aged horribly. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots Arena.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Body Harvest on the N64, my first open-(ish)-world game I played, at the time it was so great, but my god now its awful.... awful controls, the graphics were alot worse than I remembered, but I still look on it with fondness and it was a totally fun game to play when I played it back in 1999. Its just aged horribly. :P
    The mechanics of Body Harvest have aged well in my opinion. There were a variety of alien events to respond to, some interaction with NPCs and a fairly diverse resource and vehicle system. The graphics on the other hand were (ahem) N64 quality for sure but the UI was functional, at least moreso than the one in Superman64.

Fun fact: Body Harvest was DMA Design's first 3D title and laid out the groundwork for what would later be GTA3, which was when GTA really took off in terms of popularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that Morrowind with its graphical capability is heavily dated, other than that its a great game mechanically.

Could some things be improved like not needing to max out a specific Primary stat to get the most out of your character in the leveling process? Sure, but that is down to coding and retroactive buffing if you choose that path after the fact. Otherwise, everything else in the game worked perfectly well for its design paradigm of the time, and i think a lot of people would like a return to that format of gameplay.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    FF8 still looks much better than 6 and 7.

The old Tomb Raider games aged poorly. As did the Gauntlet games and Baldurs Gate.
    I actually disagree here, Baldur's Gate still works well imo. And the early TR games have stylised graphics that imo have not suffered that much. TR 1 is very blocky indeed, but from TR2 onwards I think this block-based aesthetic still works, as it looks like a design choice rather than a limitation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Resident Evil 2. Man the sound effects in that game is some of the worst I've heard in a long time. Didn't notice them at all when the game was current.
    RE1 and RE2 are definitely good picks. The voice acting kills my soul a little each time I hear it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    I would say that Morrowind with its graphical capability is heavily dated, other than that its a great game mechanically..
    What? As much as I love Morrowind it was not a very solid game mechanically. It had so many bugs and a broken combat system.

This. So many times have I tried to play it. I know it's good. I never got far, but from what I've seen - I liked it storywise. But the gameplay... The gameplay is just too bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    other than that its a great game mechanically.
    The combat. Even more than the dated graphics. Morrowind's combat was horrible. "just spent two minutes wailing on a stationary enemy right in front of me and neither of us even landed a hit" horrible. And that's speaking as someone who considers Morrowind one of their favorite games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I never got far
    That name, though.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    That name, though.
    Like I said - I loved the story I read a lot about it, as well as watched some complete playthroughs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft 1.

Game of my childhood, but damn, it's a bad game today.