Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

The 4 Legendary Softcap

Edit: This post has been heavily modified for clarity.

Firstly let me state. We actually have someone in our guild with 5 on a single character, but, he had 3 before the "Yea we screwed up one of the biggest 'self-worth' systems in Legion, sorrynotsorry" hotfix.

However out of all the people I know, in all the guilds I have contact with, no one else has heard of anyone with 5/5+ in their social circles.

If we look at http://www.wowprogress.com/character...vencrest/Cerli the guy with the 2nd most AP in the World, and 1200 M+ to his name, he also has 4 on a single character.

Blizzard has insisted multiple times there's not a cap, which leads me to believe their justification for saying such is perhaps there's a softcap (which is vastly different), with diminishing chances/diminishing bad luck protection.

If you could research all of WoW there would be three questions.

a) On average how much legendary chance content did it take people to go from 2-3 on a single character.
    b) On average how much legendary chance content did it take people to go from 3-4 on a single character.
    c) On average how much legendary chance content did it take people to go from 4-5 on a single character.

My hypothesis is that a) and b) would be similar, and c) is much much much greater.

I am not saying you can't have 4+, I am saying it is far harder getting your 5th than it is getting your 4th.
    Last edited by mmoc89ec62a408; 2016-11-20 at 03:47 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well we had someone get their 5th tonight, and we know there are people with 6 and atleast 1 person with 7, which is incredibly lucky. So no, there is no soft cap as such.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Well we had someone get their 5th tonight, and we know there are people with 6 and atleast 1 person with 7, which is incredibly lucky. So no, there is no soft cap as such.
    Is there evidence of someone with 7? I'd also be curious to know how many they had before the hotfix.

It just baffles me how Cerli, at 1200 M+, doesn't have all 8. What hope is there for the rest of us?

Regardless this doesn't disprove of my softcap, I'm not saying it hasn't happened just there is a definite non-linear scaling of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    Is there evidence of someone with 7? I'd also be curious to know how many they had before the hotfix.

It just baffles me how Cerli, at 1200 M+, doesn't have all 8. What hope is there for the rest of us?

Regardless this doesn't disprove of my softcap, I'm not saying it hasn't happened just there is a definite non-linear scaling of chance.
    Anything to back up this statement? Cos it would make perfect sense that there are less people with more legendaries. The drop chance is extremely low, so there is going to be a large degree of variance between the very lucky, and the not so lucky people.

This sounds exactly like how normal distribution would work on a low chance of an event occuring. Come back in a month and it will be everyone has 5 legendary "softcap"

youtube.com/watch?v=mAEkS7Ee7yQ&feature=youtu.be

Very first question is about a soft cap of legendaries. He answers saying no, and there is a person that has all 8 legendaries. So you can either think he's lying or just wallow in your conspiracy theory I guess. Whatever works for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajean View Post

Very first question is about a soft cap of legendaries. He answers saying no, and there is a person that has all 8 legendaries. So you can either think he's lying or just wallow in your conspiracy theory I guess. Whatever works for you.
    I believe it to be a half truth, secondly with 5-10 >million< players, only 1 person having all of them in 2 months is crazy (he also seemed non-commital, "I believe there's someone"), that's with them adding more so if there's one you want in particular your goal is extended.

I have no doubt in my mind there's a Nomi-like system in place for legendaries where every so often Nomi becomes a better cook and legendary chance get increased up until a certain number. Exact same system is in place for Artifact Knowledge.

We have so many alts getting leg 1-2 over mains getting 4 or 5. With people spending the majority of time on mains doing harder content (Mythic Raids) which they said would have increased chances.
    Last edited by mmoc89ec62a408; 2016-11-20 at 12:44 AM.

Ppl already got 3 legs?I still didnt get one on any char and i been playing since exp released every day

Deleted
    Pretty much agree. I've spent countless hours spamming M+ and have yet to see my third. Also i'm more frightened to get another bad one instead of the one i want because of this supposed cap.

From what i've seen it seems to be easier to get what you want by making an alt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I too have 4 legendaries and it's been 3 weeks and about 200 mythic + as well as 3 full clears of EN on each difficulty since I've seen a legendary. I think there might actually be a softcap like OP is suggesting, not a cap that you cant get more than 4 but once you have 4, your chance of getting a 5th go waaaaaaaaay down.
    Last edited by LolretKJ; 2016-11-20 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubSlayer View Post
    Pretty much agree. I've spent countless hours spamming M+ and have yet to see my third. Also i'm more frightened to get another bad one instead of the one i want because of this supposed cap.
    I don't believe there's hard cap, it's always possible, but with bad luck protection if you get a bad one you're left thinking "wow, I wish I could have gotten nothing to keep my chance higher" exciting story eh Ion?.

Deleted
    they should increase the chance dramatically and end this fucking ridiculous system

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    I too have 4 legendaries and it's been 3 weeks and about 200 mythic + as well as 3 full clears of EN on each difficulty. I think there might actually be a softcap like OP is suggesting, not a cap that you cant get more than 4 but once you have 4, your chance of getting a 5th go waaaaaaaaay down.
    This. I just feel the system can't be overcome by effort. I genuinely feel like there's artificial gating going on behind the scenes.

Maybe in NH getting 1-6 is reasonable chance and 6+ has a super low chance.

I understand how probability works, I just think with the Nomi + Artifact Knowledge systems it's not far fetched to believe the same is being done with legendaries.

7+ Year Old Account
    dude, your making the postivie claim, do you have definite proof of this? cause your claim "4 softcap" doesent make sense

how it seems to work is every time you get a legendary your badluck protection is reset...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I don't believe there's hard cap, it's always possible, but with bad luck protection if you get a bad one you're left thinking "wow, I wish I could have gotten nothing to keep my chance higher" exciting story eh Ion?.
    My completely impossible to prove theory is that there is streak protection for the first 4, but after that it's down to whatever basic chance there is of getting a legendary. So if it's 1/1000, yes, there's no "hard" cap but there really is a soft cap. I really don't know why the need this system to be so mysterious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    dude, your making the postivie claim, do you have definite proof of this? cause your claim "4 softcap" doesent make sense

how it seems to work is every time you get a legendary your badluck protection is reset...
    No? And I don't claim to? This is all conjecture, hence getting other people's opinions.

You also can't tell me definitively that's there's always a 1% (made up) base chance with increasing bad luck protection, regardless of your legendary count.

This is how RNG works. Someone who puts in way more time and effort than anyone else can get unlucky and someone who barely plays can get super lucky. No one knows what formula they're using for legendary drops, so it's not wise to make assumptions.

It hasn't even been 3 months yet. Try to wait and see what happens.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

7+ Year Old Account
    No? And I don't claim to? This is all conjecture, hence getting other people's opinions.

You also can't tell me definitively that's there's always a 1% (made up) base chance with increasing bad luck protection, regardless of your legendary count.
    yes but its RNG, and unlike where we had the issue of seeing people more likley to get a second legendary then they should
    this is pretty obviously not a issue, as you seen to be cherry picking... i could take your same argument and make it "i see a soft cap of 7" because weeks ago we had a guy in our guild with 5 and he now has 7

rng is rng, and the more legendaries you get of corse its going to be harder
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kajean View Post

I don't know anyone with more than 4 legendaries unless its player who got legendaries when bad luck protection was bugged. which means every legendary before fix does not count at all.

There is soft cap or hard cap. Its a pure fact. There might not be hard cap like not able to get their fifth at all but its a fact that after getting 4 legendary your chance of getting legendary is close to impossible. Requires stars, moon and sun to be at right position with gm giving you legendary.

I got my legendaries (4 of them) each legendary i got was sub 400 mythic+ runs after i received my 4th one 2 weeks ago i've not seen single legendary:

What i've done:

LFR EN, EN normal, HC EN, Mythic EN x2, Trial of Valor LFR,Normal, HC 2x and killed odyn PLUS on that i've farmed +200 Mythic+ and emissaries.

I've guild members that are in same situation at 4th legendary and have +600 M+ runs without legendary.

And then there is god like guys with 1000-1500 M+ without legendary.

So how the fuck can you say that there is no softcap? Every player that i've talked what ever it was in discord or in guild chat has said that after 4th legendary there is no way of getting it. Even some top guild players been asking around if someone knows anyone who got 5th legendary after bug was fixed.

If there is a player with more than 4 legendaries first question we need to ask. Did he get 1 or more legendaries before bug was fixed. If so hes legendary amount does not count atleast those which dropped before bug getting fixed.

Its completely absurd to imagine if there is bad luck protection protecting players from not getting legendaries and theny they're doing maximum amount of content they can and they still don't get legendary after 4th one.

The fact is in interview blizzard stated that there is no cap so you can get over +4 legendaries but they never said that there was not reduced chance. Lets say normal chance of getting legendary is 0.00001 well after getting 4th one it can go to 0.0000000000000000000001%.

But the fact is either system is fuckin bugged / blizzard is not telling the whole truth (which is actually happening a lot. Blizzard has stealth nerfed a lot of stuff and has not tell to community about them)

I don't expect to receive my 5th legendary anytime soon and if in somehow soon b lizzard tells us that system is either bugged or they've been lying to us ill insta uninstall this game.

Absurd to expect players to farm legendaries for thousands mythic runs. Loot is already extremely rng shit to get and now this. You've 0 evidence supporting claim that players can get with normal luck get that 5th legendary.

yes but its RNG, and unlike where we had the issue of seeing people more likley to get a second legendary then they should
    this is pretty obviously not a issue, as you seen to be cherry picking... i could take your same argument and make it "i see a soft cap of 7" because weeks ago we had a guy in our guild with 5 and he now has 7

rng is rng, and the more legendaries you get of corse its going to be harder
    Is that on the same character or across toons, Fel?

Deleted
    Proof?

There's been issues with the system before (for which frankly I believe they should have issues an apology for), so I don't see why it's hard to believe there might still be kinks to work out or mysterious features in it.