Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Btw, this is not true. I compared it when we were pondering about changing it and discord uses less of your CPU than team speak does. It also doubles as a forum of sorts. So, OP is clearly salty for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    It uses less CPU for me Vent, Mumble, Skype, or TS3 (SIGNIFICANTLY less than Skype or TS3) and uses a whopping 300MB of RAM. The sound quality is FAR better than Vent or TS3's defaults, and if you set your Vent/TS3 to use the higher quality codecs, Bandwidth usage foes WAY up (and on Vent, latency skyrockets). Mumble and Skype have similar sound quality to Discord, but Skype is a resource pig all around (CPU,RAM, and bandwidth) and nkt well suited to large groups, and Mumble is not well supported and takes more technical knowhow than a lot of WoW players have to set up well. (But personally, its by far the best non-Discord VOIP once set up correctly - low resource need, low bandwidth, great quality, very configurable).

The fact that it is 32 bit is irrelevant. There is no performance penalty for running 32-bit code on a 64-bit CPU/OS - at all. All being 64-bit does is allow it to adress more than 2.5GB of RAM. Since it doesnt use anywhere near that much.... Moot point.

If youre having performance issues with Discord... Its your computer, not the application. Or (more probably) your internet connection is to blame. Ive been in Discord rooms with 60+ people and never had an issue with multiple people queueing their mics ar once or any other quality issues, and ive been using it for a lot longer than it has been popular (since shortly after it came out).

Couple that with its other noob/PuG-friendly features (can enter the server with a simple clickable link - no cumbersome server info or add-friend process; prospective PuGer doesnt need to install anything - can just run it in a browser window, and they dont need an account) and its a no-brainer that it has become hugely popular. High quality, super easy to use, light system requirements, runs on literally everything (including iOS, Android, Linux, OSX, and ChromeOS via the web client).
    I'm curious if the OP is trying to run Discord inside of Firefox or Chrome at this point.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

I can't even run WoW on high setting with stable 60 fps with or without discord but still I have no problem with discord eating up my processing power.
    You need to use at least some 2010 rig instead of complaining about such a good program.
    It's good not only because it's free, but also it replaced forums for our guild to some extend which is pretty good.

holy shit what a thread and i thought i had seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Or one hamster, you need at least 3.
    Or you can just get a male and a female and they'll reproduce and you can use their children to get your rig even stronger!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    And a lot of it is because it's only available in 32 bit, it eats up a ton of processor power. Why are so many guild's using this crappy program for raiding? It's fine for small group content, but y'all need to quit using that shit for raiding and stop being cheap. Free =/= good
    Are you by chance playing on a potato computer? I prefer discord and I have a vent server paid until 2020 that sits there unused because there's no point. You can always host your own voice com.

- - - Updated - - -

No, if I need to upgrade my processor to accommodate a low end free voice chat program like this, it is the program that is not coded very well and you that needs to stop being a cheap ass and pitch in with other people for something better. A mumble server is only $15 a month, not expensive. You're telling me throwing in $12 a year with 15 other people is too much?

Also this thread is not intended for cheap people who just like free stuff. No the program isn't good. It lags and get's glitchy whenever two people are queuing their mic at the same time as well as other issues that make it not the best tool for communicating with people online.
    Now that is funny. The guy playing on a shit computer is calling others cheap. Why don't you stop being the cheapass and pay for your groups new server on something else then? Or upgrade a computer. EMachines are so played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    I can't even run WoW on high setting with stable 60 fps with or without discord but still I have no problem with discord eating up my processing power.
    You need to use at least some 2010 rig instead of complaining about such a good program.
    It's good not only because it's free, but also it replaced forums for our guild to some extend which is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    Are you by chance playing on a potato computer? I prefer discord and I have a vent server paid until 2020 that sits there unused because there's no point. You can always host your own voice com.

I'm getting a similar result on a 2006 HP Pavilion DV9000 laptop running W7 as the screenies I gave on the previous page.
    Last edited by Shadow Fox; 2016-11-20 at 07:16 AM.

im on a computer that runs 10 fps in raid on EVERYTHING lowest, including render scale at 50%
    discord doesent even make me lose 1 fps

the reason why people use discord is because its so fucking easy
    "ok guys you may be here for one pull, we dont need to spend forever going "ok do you have this? no? download it... ok now put this in... yeah then that.... ok" then when they leave their gone ,they dont come back unless you make them a member

discord is AMAZING and SO MUCH BETTER then any other current chat program for pugging, because of how simple and fast people can join, they dont even need it downloaded if they dont need to talk
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2016-11-20 at 07:17 AM.

If you don't like it, don't use it. My experience differs from yours in a quite polar way.

http://imgur.com/a/Wa6xz

And a lot of it is because it's only available in 32 bit, it eats up a ton of processor power. Why are so many guild's using this crappy program for raiding? It's fine for small group content, but y'all need to quit using that shit for raiding and stop being cheap. Free =/= good
    Works fine for us, get more than 512mb of ram mate

Quote Originally Posted by ginfleth View Post
    Who needs two versions when majority of PC users have 64 bit processors?
    Well, I bet we better let those who still have 32bit and can't afford to upgrade to answer stupid questions like that. Or better ask why make only 64bit version if the shit runs almost the same and lose potential users? Having a 64bit version is mandatory when you need to address more than 2GB of memory, not when you might or might not get a 5% performance increase. Not to mention that it's possible that Discord uses libraries that only have 32bit versions...

No, if I need to upgrade my processor to accommodate a low end free voice chat program like this, it is the program that is not coded very well and you that needs to stop being a cheap ass and pitch in with other people for something better. A mumble server is only $15 a month, not expensive. You're telling me throwing in $12 a year with 15 other people is too much?

Also this thread is not intended for cheap people who just like free stuff. No the program isn't good. It lags and get's glitchy whenever two people are queuing their mic at the same time as well as other issues that make it not the best tool for communicating with people online.
    Calling people cheap whilst saying you not wanting to buy a good processor. I have never have any issues at all with it. upgrade your toaster

10+ Year Old Account

If your computer can run WoW which is poorly optimized then it can run a voice program. Simple as that.

Also I know you're probably trolling but just because you say "It runs poorly it's only 32bit" that's not actually evidence just fyi. Feel free to post something conclusive rather than just flaming.

Pretty sure a 2006 HP duo-core Laptop as I mentioned is running Discord just fine. :S

Not being snooty... Just stating some information. I'm thinking, based on other peoples posts as well, that your system is having issues at a hardware level.

you seem to be the only one having these problems
    and no people dont use it cause its cheap and free... people use it cause its good, it allows for easy pugging, and management of who is coming and going from the discord, and it allows for alot more community
    there is so many things that make it much better for guilds then others, im not gunna go through them all cause you seem set in stone its bullshit

btw quick tip shakou

when one person has a problem with something
    and no one else does
    its probebly the person that is the problem

so its most likley your computers fault, not discords
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2016-11-20 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

You're not wrong that $15 isn't much on it's own. But it's thinking like this that keeps a lot of people poor. $15 on a server when you could do it for free is a waste. Just like spending $8 on a meal at McDonald's is a waste when that much money can stretch over a few meals if you shop at a grocery store instead. Those seemingly little costs add up fast.

Either way, I can't say Discord ever caused me any problems. Nor have I noticed any difference between that and Vent or Mumble. And if there was any difference, it's not enough of a difference to make the $180/year pricetag worth it.

Discord is great. It offers an UI that makes it easy to perform access control (Aka making only some users able to do stuff), lets you invite people by tossing out a temporary link and it also offers chat functionality as well as voice config.

In comparison to Ventrillo its admin side is superior as you have to setup all these things manually and there's no easy way to convert a guest into a full user. Username is also tied to the server so you can't swap it around.

Teamspeak has similar issues to Ventrillo with its less than instant configuration.

As for CPU usage? With modern day computers, the CPU usage of the program is negligible. Any comparison between Discord and Ventrillo/Teamspeak is comparing apples and oranges. A more fair comparison would be Skype and Ventrillo as they offer roughly the same functionality, with Skype consuming vastly more cpu with just a chat window open.
    Part of the multi legendary crowd. Resto Drood from Silvermoon-EU Nesandur

It's simple - you use Discord for easy access to the Death Knight class channel where you will get all the information that you need to customize your DK experience and make informed talent choices.

Deleted
    Discord using to much CPU power? That is a new one for me x)

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    Most programs are still only 32bit because they work fine in 64bit. If discord eats up a noticeable amount of processing power for you, then perhaps it's time you upgraded from your Pentium 4.
    ^

Uses less than Skype, Vent, Mumble, and Teamspeak from what I've seen.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.