Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Copying wow folder from windows 7 to windows 10

Hey All,

I recently purchased a new rig, about to get wow going, is their any benefit to doing a fresh install/download or will copying the wow folder from my windows 7 to windows 10 PC and removing the cache folder do the trick?

Why don't you just do a fresh install? Why are you putting dirt on your new drive? Just backup addons if you want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightotemz View Post
    Hey All,

I recently purchased a new rig, about to get wow going, is their any benefit to doing a fresh install/download or will copying the wow folder from my windows 7 to windows 10 PC and removing the cache folder do the trick?
    I'll work fine, a reinstall is however recommended.

Thanks for the replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey All,

It's the same thing. You might need to reinstall b.net, then you can just locate the new folder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    Why don't you just do a fresh install? Why are you putting dirt on your new drive? Just backup addons if you want.
    That's ^ the advice of someone without any PC experience at all. There's no "dirt" in a game folder.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

If your Internet is good, download and install via Battle.Net
    Then copy/move saved stuffs

WoW tends to bloat over time as the game doesn't bother defragmenting or cleaning up its files. A fresh install will noticeably cut down the filesize.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    It's the same thing. You might need to reinstall b.net, then you can just locate the new folder.

- - - Updated - - -

That's ^ the advice of someone without any PC experience at all. There's no "dirt" in a game folder.
    There is a -chance- of file corruption during transfer, but it is unlikely with modern equipment anymore.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    WoW tends to bloat over time as the game doesn't bother defragmenting or cleaning up its files. A fresh install will noticeably cut down the filesize.
    There's a scan and repair option http://prntscr.com/d9j4pg . That one also apparently reduced the loading times, but maybe it's just placebo.

10+ Year Old Account
    When i got my new PC i did a clean install even though i saved wow on an external HDD to copy it.
    It's like a fresh start, which is really nice
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    When i got my new PC i did a clean install even though i saved wow on an external HDD to copy it.
    It's like a fresh start, which is really nice
    Identical files, except for the WTF, cache and logs folders..

Deleted
    Hey All,

Copy the WoW folder and then use the Repair function in the BattleNet launcher and it will replace any stray files and rebuild the necessary links etc. Just make sure the copies WoW is where Battlenet expects it to be,or it will try to download the lot again

If you have a fast, uncapped net connection then the cleanest option is just to reinstall it fresh. If you don;t then use the copy/repair technique.

Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    because downloading 40 gb takes much more time then copy/paste ? -_-

Hey All,

You don't even need to remove you cache(or reset anything like addons).

Just copying the WoW folder is fine. Battle.net will recognize it.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2016-11-20 at 11:13 AM.

Deleted
    The amount of bloat in Wow is ver small, it is mostly log files, previous patch files and caches. There is no fragmentation, fragmentation is when large files aren;t contiguously held on your hard-drive which can increase load times because (as it were) the system has to hunt for and load said large file in smaller pieces, that is nothing to do with Warcraft, if you have a mechanical drive you can defragment it with the utility Windows provides. Do not attempt to defrag a solid state drive because it is pointless and potentially imposes a lot of unecessary write cycles, increasing "drive wear" for no benefit whatever

I maintain getting an SSD is probably one of the best upgrades you can ever give yourself, the difference between SDD and mechanical drives is just amazing

I put windows 10 and m ymost used game by far which is Warcraft of the SDD. Loading screens in WoW are literally seconds , the load bar just zips across lol

You can get a good sized 240Gb SDD for about $60 or maybe less. You will love it forever
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2016-11-20 at 11:08 AM.

This is not true at all.

WoW's filesize is almost constant on every PC ("almost" because it does create a couple of files which store settings, account data, addon settings etc. but the cache altogether is only a couple of MBs big)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2016-11-20 at 11:12 AM.

Deleted
    It's nonsense. Even if it were true, drive space is so cheap now it a couple of Gb here or there doesn;t matter at all
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2016-11-20 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    because downloading 40 gb takes much more time then copy/paste ? -_-
    Even better: it's almost 50GB by now ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Copy the WoW folder and then use the Repair function in the BattleNet launcher and it will replace any stray files and rebuild the necessary links etc. Just make sure the copies WoW is where Battlenet expects it to be,or it will try to download the lot again

If you have a fast, uncapped net connection then the cleanest option is just to reinstall it fresh. If you don;t then use the copy/repair technique.
    Unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    There's a scan and repair option http://prntscr.com/d9j4pg . That one also apparently reduced the loading times, but maybe it's just placebo.
    I don't remember if the repair program removes addons. If yes, then it may improve loading times.

Otherwise, as far as I know (last time I used repair was in MoP, I think the battle.net launcher does this automatically) the repair program only replaced corrupted files from the /data folder, that's it. (dunno if this is still the case, but in like wrath times it used to only repair the 3.0 files and deleted every patch)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Even better: it's almost 50GB by now ^^
    Sir, your installation is bloated. My recent fresh install is 40,2GB including addons.
    A fresh install from time to time helps fix a lot of problems. Fragmentation of files being one. Files also get corrupted (and they aren't always instantly repaired).

If you have the connection for it, just do a fresh install overnight. Copy the Interface and WTF folder from the old installation.
    Although not always needed, from personal experience, it is advised to delete the config.wtf file inside the WTF folder. Inside this file some settings tuned to your old hardware are saved, this can result in faulty settings for for instance your new videocard.

Quote Originally Posted by Menno View Post
    Sir, your installation is bloated. My recent fresh install is 40,2GB including addons.
    A fresh install from time to time helps fix a lot of problems. Fragmentation of files being one. Files also get corrupted (and they aren't always instantly repaired).

If you have the connection for it, just do a fresh install overnight. Copy the Interface and WTF folder from the old installation.
    Although not always needed, from personal experience, it is advised to delete the config.wtf file inside the WTF folder. Inside this file some settings tuned to your old hardware are saved, this can result in faulty settings for for instance your new videocard.
    It shouldn't be bloated except if Blizz is lazy and they decide not to delete old files when a patch comes out. (afaik the background downloader cleans everything up after it finishes patching)

Also Addons and settings shouldn't usually make up more than 100mb.

Also there aren't any "faulty settings" in WoW. Replacing your gpus won't break anything(also afaik WoW doesn't target specific gpus and adds extra settings).
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2016-11-20 at 12:11 PM.