Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Because adding them to the Wii-U would mean customers lose reasons to get them for the switch. Anything new to the Switch ports are going to be exclusive to it to get sells. Maybe a year later they mite add them to the Wii-U but I don't see it happening. Its clear as far as Nintendo is concerned the Wii-U is dead.

Don't get me wrong it does suck for Wii-U owners. But from a business standpoint its a smart move.

Buy MK8 on the Switch now and receive king boo.....
    MK doesn't need touched, but the smart move for them and the splatoon community would be making splatoon cross play and the same game across both platforms. This benefits them, as they want the game to have a large competitive community and an esports scene.

Near 3 mil install base on Wii U splatoon already, pretty stupid to ignore that if you want to push it as a serious competitive community.

Mario Kart update needs to be much bigger then the splatoon one, and probably shouldn't bother with Wii U at all tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    MK doesn't need touched, but the smart move for them and the splatoon community would be making splatoon cross play and the same game across both platforms. This benefits them, as they want the game to have a large competitive community and an esports scene.

Near 3 mil install base on Wii U splatoon already, pretty stupid to ignore that if you want to push it as a serious competitive community.

Mario Kart update needs to be much bigger then the splatoon one, and probably shouldn't bother with Wii U at all tbh.
    I don't see cross-play happening but I do agree that it should if they plan to make it a serious competitive community. I just don't see any of the Switch content coming over to the Wii-U versions.

We will know more come Jan.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I don't see cross-play happening but I do agree that it should if they plan to make it a serious competitive community. I just don't see any of the Switch content coming over to the Wii-U versions.

We will know more come Jan.
    The competitive Splatoon community ends up split, and then they end up with a melee vs brawl/smash 4 situation where an old version over shadows the new version in the competitive community for it.

Nintendo is either stupid, and don't merge them or is smart and does. You think Nintendo wants Melee being played at prime time in an arena at Evo when Smash 4 was relegated to having it's finals on a saturday morning in a convention center? That's the reality of it, Smash 4 competitive is an afterthought compared to Melee. This is what's going to happen if they split the Splatoon community, the Wii U version will stay the more popular one to the competitive community as they aren't going to regrind their shit and will most likely spit on any balancing differences.

The competitive Splatoon community ends up split, and then they end up with a melee vs brawl/smash 4 situation where an old version over shadows the new version in the competitive community for it.

Nintendo is either stupid, and don't merge them or is smart and does. You think Nintendo wants Melee being played at prime time in an arena at Evo when Smash 4 was relegated to having it's finals on a saturday morning in a convention center? That's the reality of it, Smash 4 competitive is an afterthought compared to Melee. This is what's going to happen if they split the Splatoon community, the Wii U version will stay the more popular one to the competitive community as they aren't going to regrind their shit and will most likely spit on any balancing differences.
    I don't disagree, I just don't see Nintendo making the right call.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I mean why not though? I can't think of a reason why they would exclude such updates for games that already exist. If this was MK9 or splatoon 2 that would be a different story.

If so though I am NOT looking forward to buying MK8 and splatoon again. They better not be full price.
    from what emily said nintendo had a hard time deciding what to call mario kart and splatoon since they have too much new content to be rereleases but not enough to be full fledged sequels.

i dont know how hard it is to develop for wiiu and switch at the same time but i imagine its not super easy so with the amount of work they put into mk and splatoon i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt get the new content.

smash is supposedly just a straight port for the most part with all the dlc and some of the 3ds exclusive maps but maybe with new content via dlc later on.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Hearing rumours of delayed Breath of the Wild have me like....

In all honesty though, it would be weird if it got delayed into summer. A lot of people will have moved over to the switch and it makes a Wii U version all the more obsolete. Would be awkward to not see it at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Hearing rumours of delayed Breath of the Wild have me like....

In all honesty though, it would be weird if it got delayed into summer. A lot of people will have moved over to the switch and it makes a Wii U version all the more obsolete. Would be awkward to not see it at launch.
    It's not a delay. They never said it was launching in March, they just said 2017.

Also that "obsolete Wii U version" is likely to look and run better if we're judging off the footage shown in the Switch trailer.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#det...arks/016053175

WAVE RACE

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...d-moon-version

Rumor: Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version, codenamed Stars.

- - - Updated - - -

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/1...ch-launch-day/

Rumor: Ubisoft working on Mario and Rabbids crossover RPG.

Glad gamefreak is going back to yearly releases for pokemon.

Im guessing star around nov 2017
    Diamond and pearl remakes 2018
    Gen 8 2019
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

It's not a delay. They never said it was launching in March, they just said 2017.

Also that "obsolete Wii U version" is likely to look and run better if we're judging off the footage shown in the Switch trailer.
    I feel like it would be a HUGE, and I mean HUGE mistake to make the game literally run worse on the newer console. I'm not sure how Twilight Princess held up against each other, but I was under the impression it was just that the Gamecube version had better controls.

I'm hoping the Switch footage was due to being in development still, and not everything has been polished fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I feel like it would be a HUGE, and I mean HUGE mistake to make the game literally run worse on the newer console. I'm not sure how Twilight Princess held up against each other, but I was under the impression it was just that the Gamecube version had better controls.

I'm hoping the Switch footage was due to being in development still, and not everything has been polished fully.
    I mean, in all likelihood and NS is a gpu downgrade to the Wii U. The Wii U had a weak CPU which bottlenecked it in trying to run some multiplats that where made for the cpu heavy 360 and PS3 but the GPU ran laps around the ones in the 360 and PS3.

CPU will still be weak in the NS, as it's mobile...

So best case scenario is the NS is comparable to Wii U in power, and it's entirely possible it's actually weaker.

Wii was an overclocked Gamecube, so there was no way TP was going to run worse.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-19 at 09:25 PM.

I mean, in all likelihood and NS is a gpu downgrade to the Wii U. The Wii U had a weak CPU which bottlenecked it in trying to run some multiplats that where made for the cpu heavy 360 and PS3 but the GPU ran laps around the ones in the 360 and PS3.

CPU will still be weak in the NS, as it's mobile...

So best case scenario is the NS is comparable to Wii U in power, and it's entirely possible it's actually weaker.
    I understand it's fully possible, and I don't care much for graphical power, but if it manages to end up weaker than the Wii U, we'll never hear the end of it. Even if it's a great system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had some guy on disqus try to convince me this thing would be more powerful than a PS4...

O another tidbit tegra x1 ranges 1tflop performance to ps4 1.8tflops. Switch will probably run tegra x2 and nvidia generally has lower compute scores so the tegra x1 Is probably fairly close to the ps4 in graphics performance already.
    I just facepalmed.

I understand it's fully possible, and I don't care much for graphical power, but if it manages to end up weaker than the Wii U, we'll never hear the end of it. Even if it's a great system.
    Did you expect the next Nintendo handheld to be stronger then the Wii U? Because I didn't, I don't think anyone did.

People still seem to be confusing this as a dedicated home console when it was always clearly a handheld that they made into a quasi hybrid because their home console market is dying.

This thing could literally be 200% stronger then the vita(which would be reasonable to expect from a handheld launching in early 2017) and it still wouldn't match the Wii U.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-19 at 09:31 PM.

Did you expect the next Nintendo handheld to be stronger then the Wii U? Because I didn't, I don't think anyone did.

People still seem to be confusing this as a dedicated home console when it was always clearly a handheld that they made into a quasi hybrid because their home console market is dying.

This thing could literally be 200% stronger then the vita(which would be reasonable to expect from a handheld launching in early 2017) and it still wouldn't match the Wii U.
    I didn't expect them to drop home consoles just because the Wii U didn't do well.

Otherwise, I was assuming their next console would be stronger than the Wii U if it was a home console. And in the Switch's case, it's not exactly excelling at being a handheld if it only has a 2 hour life span. It doesn't have the battery span to be a portable, and if the power isn't there, then it's not strong enough to be a home console either. And compromising on both just seems like it's going to hurt rather than help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I had some guy on disqus try to convince me this thing would be more powerful than a PS4...

I just facepalmed.
    Should tell him it's 1TFLOP at FP16 / half precision, which is a different thing than 1.84TFLOP at FP32 / single precision. Tegra X1's single precision is only 512GFLOP.

Then there's compute inefficiencies brought on to the fact it's a mobile which has less extended instruction sets and what not that are on current x86/non mobile GPUs. Brings down power consumption as it doesn't have as much stuff but it means one line of code becomes many lines of code if you want to do the same thing.

It's rumored to be 1/3rd the power of Xbone which in theory would just make it the same as a Wii U computer power to compute power. Of course we have no idea about memory configuration of the device. Wii U has a 256GB/s eDRAM along with it's own memory bandwidth. If we're going by Tegra Parker, the car part, has twice the bus width as the common SoC, making it the same 128bit bus width as the PS Vita. Assuming LPDDR4@3200Mbps to 4266Mbps at 128bit it'd be 51.2GB/s to 68.256GB/s. buswidth * data rate / 8 (to exchange from bit to byte) is the calculation. Memory bandwidth is a big issue already on desktop and in theory also on the Xbone and PS4 so this is already a huge bottleneck just because it's on mobile and this is a far cry from the Wii U.

I didn't expect them to drop home consoles just because the Wii U didn't do well.
    It wasn't just the Wii U though.

If you don't consider the lightning in a bottle Wii every Nintendo home console has declined in sales.

NES 62 million
    SNES 49 million
    n64 33 million
    Gamecube 22 million
    Wii U will probably finish at just over 15 million(currently at like 13.5 mil I think)

Meanwhile...

Gameboy 119 mil
    GBA 81 million
    DS 154 mil
    3DS will probably finish over 65 mil(currently just over 60 mil)

The 3DS is the worst performing Nintendo handheld ever and it still sold more units then Nintendo's best selling console besides the Wii. It makes no sense for Nintendo to continue to split their development up, and put more resources into home console gaming that just under performs.

The NS likely started R&D as the 3DS successor as this is about the time and launch window you would expect that to be coming out. It just so happened that 2 years into the Wii U nintendo probably scrapped any R&D they had going for a new home console and just decided to merge their entire brand into the NS.

If the NS started R&D as the Wii U successor, it's likely no where near ready to come out yet, probably another year or so out at min.

The NS likely started R&D as the 3DS successor as this is about the time and launch window you would expect that to be coming out. It just so happened that 2 years into the Wii U nintendo probably scrapped any R&D they had going for a new home console and just decided to merge their entire brand into the NS.

If the NS started R&D as the Wii U successor, it's likely no where near ready to come out yet, probably another year or so out at min.
    Eh. it makes a reasonable amount of sense. The home console market has been metamorphosing into the Home Entertainment System market for years now. Nintendo has never had the infrastructure required to compete on that level, let alone the inclination. They make game consoles. So I could see them just saying "fuck it" and ceding that market to Sony and Microsoft, letting them fight it out over the Console/Media Player/Everything-for-everyone-box market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Should tell him it's 1TFLOP at FP16 / half precision, which is a different thing than 1.84TFLOP at FP32 / single precision. Tegra X1's single precision is only 512GFLOP.

Then there's compute inefficiencies brought on to the fact it's a mobile which has less extended instruction sets and what not that are on current x86/non mobile GPUs. Brings down power consumption as it doesn't have as much stuff but it means one line of code becomes many lines of code if you want to do the same thing.

It's rumored to be 1/3rd the power of Xbone which in theory would just make it the same as a Wii U computer power to compute power. Of course we have no idea about memory configuration of the device. Wii U has a 256GB/s eDRAM along with it's own memory bandwidth. If we're going by Tegra Parker, the car part, has twice the bus width as the common SoC, making it the same 128bit bus width as the PS Vita. Assuming LPDDR4@3200Mbps to 4266Mbps at 128bit it'd be 51.2GB/s to 68.256GB/s. buswidth * data rate / 8 (to exchange from bit to byte) is the calculation. Memory bandwidth is a big issue already on desktop and in theory also on the Xbone and PS4 so this is already a huge bottleneck just because it's on mobile and this is a far cry from the Wii U.
    Yeah, I did try to explain a little about the mobile device issue but he still thinks it's going to be as good if not better than a ps4 because Nvidia can work miracles with mobile...

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yeah, I did try to explain a little about the mobile device issue but he still thinks it's going to be as good if not better than a ps4 because Nvidia can work miracles with mobile...
    Fuck that noise. While I expect the Switch to be miles better than the Wii U, I don't expect it to be much better than the XBO.

- - - Updated - - -

MOAR RUMORS