Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Mythic - SKITTISH as prot warrior

Hello guys!

How do you deal with this as a prot warrior?

I'm 875 ilvl, I keep losing aggro like crazy, i've tried everything with my mates, tanking for like 4-5 sec before they go in, grabbing every single aoe in my talent tree, CC party ect ect, and the outcome is still the same. Is there a rotation problem, or is this just a shitty week for prot warriors?

Thankful for all tips & tricks u got.

They just need to watch their threat, and stop dpsing when they get close to pulling. The only thing you can do is taunt when someone pulls, but if its on cooldown there isn't much you can do other than try to stun it and pull threat back. This is mostly a dps dependent modifier.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    pull large group if other modifiers allow.
    stun.
    cleave.
    proceed.

Avoid melees, talent warlord to have unlimited taunts every minute, make others use their stuns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Don't take shock wave. You need to do as much damage as you can as skittish turns your 10x threat modifier to 2x. Warbringer is great at interrupting casters and gives a bit of aoe damage without taking a gcd.

If taunt is on CD, intervene your melees who pulled threat and taunt off the ranged to keep things in the pile.

If you are taking warlords, alternate that with your dps cooldowns, so that you can dps cooldown one pull then warlord the one after. If you are fine throwing money into it, chugging prolonged power on CD can also help.

Even if you do everything right, it only takes the dps doing double your damage to pull threat, it sucks, it feels bad, it'll happen. Just try to be ready for it and keep the group moving.

Oh also MD and tricks would help out a lot.

Deleted
    Thanks alot for the tips guys, appreciate it. What stats would you prio in m+ with skittish, versatility or the regular haste cap & mastery?

Use a dps potion on the pull.

I hate skittish as a tank as well. Have had so many m+ key get depleted because some weak little dps boy got aggro so he rage quits. Like really? It is skittish, there is a 100% chance that your going to get aggro from the mobs. Instead of running away from the tank kite him closer to the tank so we can get aggro back. Even Taunts don't work 100% of the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pfff. How many times it should be said what skittish not reduce your aggro but reset mob's aggro list at random? Warriors lack of AoE spammable skills thats why you suck at skittish. There only one tip - good reaction and pick targeting mobs with dropped aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by webcamboy View Post
    Thanks alot for the tips guys, appreciate it. What stats would you prio in m+ with skittish, versatility or the regular haste cap & mastery?
    Standard stat priority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    Use a dps potion on the pull.
    I prefer to chug PPP all run. Don't forget about Skittish's threat decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    Pfff. How many times it should be said what skittish not reduce your aggro but reset mob's aggro list at random? Warriors lack of AoE spammable skills thats why you suck at skittish. There only one tip - good reaction and pick targeting mobs with dropped aggro.
    I understand what your saying but far to often a dps gets aggro and they can't handle it. They have gotten complacent with just standing there and doing dps so they don't even try. Hall of Valor is a prime example, just before you enter the hall for the first time there is a big pack of mobs. The DPS that has CC and stuff just sit and wait for you to pull aggro which pulls all of them. Now instead of doing a CC at the range mobs with sheep or stuff like that they just try and do dps, then get 1 shotted when 2 mobs turn on them for a split second. Rage quit......... this is especially the case when you have both Teeming and Skittish.

You have a skill tree for a reason and almost all classes has some sort of CC ability. They just got so used to the tanks doing most of that without them having to so anything.

Skittish does not reset aggro at random, you are just losing threat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyle View Post
    Why do people keep saying this? It's been tested and proved several times that skittish wipes all threat from #1 on the "aggro list", meaning that tank will lose all threat immediately and lose aggro.

Given how Warrior abilities work right now it sucks so hard but you just have to work around it tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybridpsycho View Post
    Why do people keep saying this? It's been tested and proved several times that skittish wipes all threat from #1 on the "aggro list", meaning that tank will lose all threat immediately and lose aggro.

Given how Warrior abilities work right now it sucks so hard but you just have to work around it tbh.
    Do you have a link for this?

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeap but some people too stupid to understand it. For good skittish tanking you need tank to do decent AoE each 2-3 seconds. With warrior its impossible. People who don't believe aggro reset try tank as Blood/Vengeace. They have zero issues with skittish because they spammable AoE tanks specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    Yeap but some people too stupid to understand it. For good skittish tanking you need tank to do decent AoE each 2-3 seconds. With warrior its impossible. People who don't believe aggro reset try tank as Blood/Vengeace. They have zero issues with skittish because they spammable AoE tanks specs.
    i guarantee you you cannot reliably hold aggro against a strong melee ST dps class like arms or enhancer without taunting. and there are quite a few instances were you can get oneshot by a single hit as a melee dps class

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridpsycho View Post

I don't believe this for a second. Skittish applies to bosses just the same as trash, and a tank can hold aggro from the start of a boss fight until the end if he pulls enough threat. There is *never* a random reset that instantly loses a mob. There is no threat decay nor reset. You just generate less threat.
    Last edited by Xanthan; 2016-11-21 at 05:17 PM.

I think Prot Warrior does pretty well with this affix, it's pretty terrible for all tanks tbh.. but we have intervene.. and warbringer and warlord's challenge in the talents

Doesn't exactly make for smooth runs, but fun to use some different tools from the norm.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthan View Post
    I don't believe this for a second. Skittish applies to bosses just the same as trash, and a tank can hold aggro from the start of a boss fight until the end if he pulls enough threat. There is *never* a random reset that instantly loses a mob. There is no threat decay nor reset. You just generate less threat.
    ..I´d carefully like to second this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyle View Post
    You're wrong.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who thinks threat 'randomly' drops, join a depleted mythic 7+ dungeon with just yourself and a healer. Pull a boss or a mob, do some damage and let the healer heal you for a couple of minutes while you AFK, let's see if your threat drops or not. I have done dungeons with double hunter and a retribution paladin going ham with 2 million+ on AoE, but yet to lose threat there to a random reset (with misdirects)? As per the threat-reset theory any kind of MD shouldn't matter in the long run (as you should still notice the immediate mob change, even if for a second).

On bosses I've never seen threat wiped, it is ONLY if someone in melee range surpasses the 110% threat modifier or 130% for a ranged player. It is harder to notice this on trash due to the lack of HP they have so it may very well feel like you suddenly lost threat if they do a lot of damage in a short time.

I am fairly certain there's only a threat reduction modifier in place and nothing more, as a protection warrior I have issues keeping up with 880+ DPS in melee. However, as a melee DPS myself I can not pull threat off a protection paladin, their threat modifiers are beyond this world (probably because of seraphim/self heals/insane threat modifiers).

As for advice on how to best tank this, your two CDs for AoE packs are Battle Cry + Neltharion/Revenge and Warlord's Challenge (infinite taunt with Berseker Rage). Rotate them so you can use one CD on each pack, this should help a bit. Revenge is your hardest hitting AoE so pairing that up with Battle Cry should help a lot to gain threat. Use intervene, a lot, remember it has 3 stacks so don't worry about immediately taunting it back.
    Last edited by suprep; 2016-11-21 at 07:11 PM.
    Retired in WoD