Deep web question

So I'm curious about this. It has nothing to do with me. If somebody is trying to find dirt on someone to take to court is information found on the deep web usable in court? I mean since its likely that the information wasn't found in a legal manner.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The "deep web" isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Illegally gotten evidence for a court case is not admissible.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    But going to the "deep web" i.e, using Tor Browser is not illegal so why would the information be?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    This is only true if the evidence was illegally obtained by the government (i.e. police, DA investigators, etc). If the evidence is obtained by a private person and turned over to the police, DA, etc then it is admissible unless some other reason excludes it.

Also, if it's a civil court then it doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I'm curious about this. It has nothing to do with me. If somebody is trying to find dirt on someone to take to court is information found on the deep web usable in court? I mean since its likely that the information wasn't found in a legal manner.
    I feel like you could use some information on what the deep web actually is. If your place of employment, for example, has a local "intranet" that you can access at home then that's technically part of the deep web. When you check your bank statements online, that's part of the deep web. The deep web includes any part of the internet that is not indexed in search engines.

So basically, if you can't get to it through google, it's part of the deep web.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    But going to the "deep web" i.e, using Tor Browser is not illegal so why would the information be?
    Tor does not access the Deep Web, Tor is to access the Dark Net

Deep Web refers to any part of the regular internet that is not accessible via search engine. Evidence garnered from the deep web does have a higher probability of being illegally obtained (though not necessarily). Anything that's behind a log in page, for example, is the deep web as search engines have no way to crawl it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

It depends on the type of information. If you're trying to find contact information, that's suitable for serving a summons. If you're going beyond that, you'll have to research hearsay laws in your area. And that depends on whether what the hypothetical you might be accused of.

**THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE**
    Last edited by belfpala; 2016-11-21 at 07:15 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dark web isn't inherently illegal, although a lot of reasons to go on TOR in the first place tends to be.

Beyond that many places have data protection laws that may have been broken, in order for that information you're looking for to become available in the first place, so speaking to a local lawyer about it instead of asking GenOT may be advisable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    In the context that it's applied, it only matters how it was originally obtained.

If someone where to mail you a letter anonymously with the evidence in it, the judge might let you use it in a civil case, civil cases are more lenient than criminal.

Nobody would know where it came from, only that numbers, dates, names matched up.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I feel like you could use some information on what the deep web actually is. If your place of employment, for example, has a local "intranet" that you can access at home then that's technically part of the deep web. When you check your bank statements online, that's part of the deep web. The deep web includes any part of the internet that is not indexed in search engines.

So basically, if you can't get to it through google, it's part of the deep web.
    Next week the truth about Cloud Computing. It's really just another computing doing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Information or evidence that has been acquired illegally is usually not permissible in court.
    In the US, but in other countries illegally obtained evidence can be ok.
    If you want legal advice there are in general two rules: ask a lawyer, and if you have to ask it's generally a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    In the US, but in other countries illegally obtained evidence can be ok.
    If you want legal advice there are in general two rules: ask a lawyer, and if you have to ask it's generally a bad idea.
    I'm not asking for legal advice. As I said this isn't for me. I was just curious about how that sort of thing is handled in court.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

A friend of a friend huh?

Deleted
    You need to get deeper into it to understand.