Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This issue isn't about who wins or loses - I've been an advocate of removing the EC for a long time now - through both Obama wins (not that it would have mattered). Removing the EC is all about making each vote count.
    Yep. It's about votes mattering and not because someone lost. The people complaining about rural states being able to vote is a good sign of that.

Would you be talking about votes matter ingredients if Republicans were trying to do exactly what is happening? I get the feeling the buzzwords "undermining democracy" would get trotted back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    How does this matter? It doesn't. Elections already over. HRC did not get the electors she needed. Donald Trump is already President-Elect.
    I thank you for using common sense, instead of arguing like the peeps here. Respect!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    They are litefally refusing to vet merrick garland as obamas supreme court nominee.
    As is the right of the Senate under the Constitution to grant Advice and Consent. Thanks, please try again.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    As is the right of the Senate under the Constitution to grant Advice and Consent. Thanks, please try again.
    And is also a gross osbtruction of government. Not to mentiom the delays for appointing judges at all the lower courts. They have done nothing but obstruct obama at every turn helll they threatend the fiscal cliff ffs.

I suspect their is literally no criteria you would accept as obstruction however.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    The American political system is and has always been messed up, one of these small changes would be a small step in a better direction.
    Messed up except when compared to every other country in the world.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Because besides two states, all states are winner-takes-all.
    My point is... if the elector DID write Scooby Doo... or George Washington. (as the person quoted suggested) They would NOT be elected because in 48 states, the majority decides the elector votes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Yep. It's about votes mattering and not because someone lost. The people complaining about rural states being able to vote is a good sign of that.

Would you be talking about votes matter ingredients if Republicans were trying to do exactly what is happening? I get the feeling the buzzwords "undermining democracy" would get trotted back out.
    Every vote matters. How is that complicated for you to understand?

Or have you realized that logic, reasoning, and evidence are all useless when trying to defend the EC, so now you just make things up, pretend I said something I didn't, then attack that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    No one is debating this.

What people are debating are said rules. Mostly, why some people should have more voting power than others, and why we're using a winner take all system of electoral vote distribution.
    True but bitching after the fact makes you come across as a sore loser when you trusted the system because you believed it would benefit you. Complain before the election about how stupid the system is and not after because if Hillary was elected it would just be a reversal. (I'm not talking to you specifically but the people who took to the streets, destroyed property and the people who raged over it on the internet.)
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You can vote again in 4 years, maybe your delegate that time will understand the electoral college..
    That makes absolutely no sense, just fyi.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point he was making went right over your head. But I love all the stuff you pretended he said. Way to hallucinate!
    The point he was trying to make is that the popular vote doesn't matter. All that matters is the electoral vote... and that isn't true.

Those of you wanting to change the system that don't (a) understand the current system (b) understand the ramifications of changing the system in the way you suggest, make me laugh.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-11-21 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    People on the left and right disagree with the Electoral System. It's something that has been fought for a very long time. The Electoral College is in place for a reason - but that reason is becoming less and less relevant as time goes by. Abolishing the EC would probably be a good decision. That being said, if the popular vote is what mattered, we'd still be counting votes. There's still something around 1.5 to 3 million illegal votes. The final tallies for popular vote are going to be extremely close, depending on how many illegal aliens voted red / blue(early numbers show mostly blue).

There are some extreme estimates that a total of over 7 million votes were cast by either illegals or the dead. This election's results will be very interesting in the coming weeks - months, as far as official numbers go.
    Might as well believe the medieval church when they said the world was flat, if you are going to believe anything Fox News comes up with.

Best case scenario here is that the Electoral College actually does their job and doesn't vote for Trump. Unlikely they'd vote for Clinton, more likely they'll write in another Republican candidate. Even if the policies are stricter, an actual politician having the nuclear launch codes is better than the demagogue Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    True but bitching after the fact makes you come across as a sore loser when you trusted the system because you believed it would benefit you. Complain before the election about how stupid the system is and not after because if Hillary was elected it would just be a reversal. (I'm not talking to you specifically but the people who took to the streets, destroyed property and the people who raged over it on the internet.)
    This is a valid point - the argument against the EC is much less partisan apparent prior to an election. On the flip side, the arguments against the EC are valid and sound - with the people defending the EC having almost nothing to stand on except "whiners go home - you lost!".

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    What's your point? Are the people in California and New York somehow not people? Do people in the rust belt and fly-over country get more of a vote than people on the coasts?

It doesn't matter where the people are concentrated. What matters is the votes.
    Yes it does matter where the votes come from.

Did I say they weren't people? Overreact much? No, they get their say with a 55 electoral votes and 29. Conservatives has been complaining about how hard it is for them to win elections with those states having that number of votes for years but you and people like you never gave a shit not until you got burned. Your candidate was weak and uninspiring. You can scramble all over yourself trying to blame the system all you want fact is you just don't like the result whatever system. You only like democracy if it suits what you want. Well guess what it doesn't always work that way.

Every vote matters. How is that complicated for you to understand?

Or have you realized that logic, reasoning, and evidence are all useless when trying to defend the EC, so now you just make things up, pretend I said something I didn't, then attack that?
    Not if we've got people arguing only big cities should have a say. (Diadetic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Hillary Clinton's lead over Donald Trump in the popular vote count has increased.
    The Democratic former secretary of state, who lost the bruising presidential election to the Manhattan billionaire thanks to the electoral college is now ahead of him by more than 1.5 million votes.
    The Associated Press count as of Saturday was Clinton with 63,390,669 and Trump standing at 61,820,845 – a difference of 1,569,824.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ote-count.html
    Does it matter? Do people honestly think the popular vote would be exactly the same if there was no EC?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Best case scenario here is that the Electoral College actually does their job and doesn't vote for Trump. Unlikely they'd vote for Clinton, more likely they'll write in another Republican candidate. Even if the policies are stricter, an actual politician having the nuclear launch codes is better than the demagogue Trump.
    And this is the problem - there just aren't going to be 37 EC voters who go "faithless" and elect Hillary. They will want a GOP in the White House, and if they don't pick someone who will get 270, then Trump will win when the House votes later (assuming all what I said happens).

This is a valid point - the argument against the EC is much less partisan apparent prior to an election. On the flip side, the arguments against the EC are valid and sound - with the people defending the EC having almost nothing to stand on except "whiners go home - you lost!".
    You did lose and no amount of teeth gnashing, foot stamping and excuses can change that. Oh it was the electoral college, Oh it was Comeys fault. Give it a rest and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    There are some extreme estimates that a total of over 7 million votes were cast by either illegals or the dead. This election's results will be very interesting in the coming weeks - months, as far as official numbers go.
    Well those estimates are complete bullshit. In fact, the only concrete cases of voter fraud we have this election were Trump supporters.

I firmly believe that if the Dems would have not tried to shut out Bernie Sanders repeatedly and actually gave him the nomination instead, we would have a different outcome. If you are a Democrat and mad you lost blame your own party for making you lose