Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Blizzard's Future Expansion Selling Points

Replying to another thread about what class could be next got me thinking about what sorts of aces Blizzard still has in the hole. So, without devolving into an argument about what some might find fun and others wouldn't, what are some of the things we at MMO-Champion feel Blizzard can still offer in future expansions to draw players?

Zones - We're going to Argus in this expansion, at least briefly. That said, they aren't above taking us out of Azeroth every few years. The chance to explore other worlds in the Warcraft universe remains a point of intrigue to some and can pave the way for expansions to come. Similarly, there are still many zones in lore that have yet to be explored fully on Azeroth proper. Kul'tiras, old god/Azshara territory, and Zandalar (raised from the sea or otherwise) spring to mind.

Races -
    Say what you want about races, but they're a big draw in a given expansion. Players as a whole enjoy seeing the game from fresh perspectives. Frequently requested races include ogres, naga, and the myriad of sub-races seen in game already. More recent requests have been tailored to include Jinyu, Saberon, and the plant race found in Draenor. The common belief is, if it can be a follower, it can be a playable race.

Classes - Blizzard has stated that they will eventually run out of new classes to offer (presumably before races), but they have so far managed to offer a new class every other expansion since Wrath of the Lich King. They have also offered new class combinations in Burning Crusade (shaman/paladin to opposite factions), Cataclysm (many), and Legion (gnome hunters). With the last, they even added additional gameplay options that previously didn't exist, which may help to show where things could go for the future. Finally, while they haven't capitalized on it yet, adding new specs (a'la druid) is still on the table. Giving warriors gladiator back is one possibility that is particularly dear to me. We'll know for sure when they announce expansion 8, since the chances of getting any of these (except race/class combos) in x7 are slim-to-none.

Gameplay - This one is a bit of everything above and other. New ways to experience classes, like hunters getting mechanical pets in Legion; races, like worgen with a racial mount form; or zones like east suramar's underwater area, which is a definite upgrade from Cata's underwater zones. Gameplay also includes things like new fight mechanics (mounted/flying), minigames (pet battles, brawler's guild), professions, and class hall equivalents.

What are some of the things that would draw (not dissuade) you to a new expansion? Anything besides these 4 that I may have not thought of?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Panda Paladins.
    Ooh, that could be cool. Maybe something in an expansion where pandaren, now getting used to not being alone on their continent, are branching out into new belief structures. Those who were children when the alliance/horde came before have been inundated with their beliefs. Maybe as a play on light and dark some have become death knights as well with "insert story reason" being why there is a need for balance, thus paladins.

I want a fabulous Blood Elf Druid.

Deleted
    Panda Paladins.
    Undead Paladins would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Ooh, that could be cool. Maybe something in an expansion where pandaren, now getting used to not being alone on their continent, are branching out into new belief structures. Those who were children when the alliance/horde came before have been inundated with their beliefs. Maybe as a play on light and dark some have become death knights as well with "insert story reason" being why there is a need for balance, thus paladins.
    There is absolutely no reason why Pandas could not be taken in as Paladins in our current timeline. I get there is an argument that in the Panda starter zone it is not "current" time, but its not like Blizzard hasn't made game choices based on quality of life and not necessarily lore reasons.

Consider almost all races could instantly become monks with the release of MoP.

Also, Goblin Shamans. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    gnome pallys

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    If they announced an expansion with Undead paladins as a feature, would you strongly consider buying it based on that alone? Maybe it's both? The expansion could be a reason to offer paladin to every race that has warrior/priest (which is all), or it could be focused on giving really good reasons on why each race suddenly wants to become a paladin, with expanded play options like green fire quests or mechanical pets. I wonder what sort of options there are for paladins that I'm not thinking of.

bloodelf druid pls !

10+ Year Old Account
    I think continuing the Artifact system in a new form, one not tied to a specific weapon, is likely something we'll see. Maybe in the form of a a revived/revamped Path of the Titans.

There is absolutely no reason why Pandas could not be taken in as Paladins in our current timeline. I get there is an argument that in the Panda starter zone it is not "current" time, but its not like Blizzard hasn't made game choices based on quality of life and not necessarily lore reasons.

Consider almost all races could instantly become monks with the release of MoP.

Also, Goblin Shamans. =/
    I don't disagree. It could definitely just be a throw-in combination. I was just expanding that into a story-reason as well. If an idea can hit multiple points, it becomes more credible, at least imho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I think continuing the Artifact system in a new form, one not tied to a specific weapon, is likely something we'll see. Maybe in the form of a a revived/revamped Path of the Titans.
    I like this. The system is already "constellation"-based. Blowing that out to a new system, maybe still called Path of the Titans, could be awesome. It could also incorporate things like the new Ysera constellation added into the sky in Legion.

What other constellations already exist? Should there be 1 per spec after legion, or more generic 1 per class? The possibilities are endless.

At this point, I don't think Blizzard needs new selling points. They probably have a base around 3-5 million strong that will buy each expansion. All they need to do is pace them reasonably and price them well, and they'll sell.

The only thing, in my mind, that could cause an expansion to fail is Blizzard trying to think out of the box to the detriment of the game. Flying caused quite a raucous, as did redesigning classes/specs. Garrisons were more or less a failure, and the list goes on. Of course some innovation is nice, as is wrapping old ideas in new paper.

Generally, I'd do 3 tiers each expansion, 7 months for the first two, and 10 for the last 1, totalling a 2 year expansion. In between those do some dungeons/world content. And, in an overarching manor, iterate on classes until the general consensus is "they're good".

Anything beyond that risks alienating existing players, and how many new players are out there, left untapped, and willing to play over a long time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    I like this. The system is already "constellation"-based. Blowing that out to a new system, maybe still called Path of the Titans, could be awesome. It could also incorporate things like the new Ysera constellation added into the sky in Legion.

What other constellations already exist? Should there be 1 per spec after legion, or more generic 1 per class? The possibilities are endless.
    Ooo, I like the idea of making it represented though actual stellar constellations. Very Titan-ish!

I would hope it would be 1 per spec, since specs are so rigidly divided. Unlocking a trait that boosts a specific ability or unlocking a new elite ability wouldn't be as enjoyable it if were just generic, across the board stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Snip
    An interesting viewpoint. In general, this is counter to how they've operated up to now, and also makes future expansions running with your idea very formulaic. While I'm sure this may be fun for some, I worry that there's still plenty of untapped potential in both the game and the gaming community that will exist when these hypothetical expansions roll out in 3, 6, and/or 9 years to come. Potential new players roll in every year as we get to a point where those of us playing for an extended period of time have children now who may be interested in playing as well. Or, if children as a rule are assumed to do the opposite of their parents, then look at the many who don't play and consider their children as possible sources to inspire with future content.

I'm curious, though. Would that be a strong selling point for you? If you can reliably say that we're getting exactly as you suggest for the next several expansions? There is something to be said for comfort, afterall.

erhm another 10 levels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Ooo, I like the idea of making it represented though actual stellar constellations. Very Titan-ish!

I would hope it would be 1 per spec, since specs are so rigidly divided. Unlocking a trait that boosts a specific ability or unlocking a new elite ability wouldn't be as enjoyable it if were just generic, across the board stuff.
    After we consume the power in artifacts to become avatars of the titan essences in order to kill Sargeras of course, we will have to deal with the remnant of our empowerment somehow...

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Zones - Broken Isles have proven that even tiny place can be expanded to the size of expansion continent.
    1)For South Sea expansion we can just get Zandalar as a leveling continent, Kul'tiras/Kezan as hubs and rest of isles as patch content.
    2)Also place north of Stratholme could be used for Scourge 2.0 expansion with cleansed Stratholme as neutral hub.
    3)Old Kingdom doesn't really fit for a continent, I could see it more like patch zone with end tier raid
    4)They could invent some things, like other side of Azeroth or some "revamp" of old continents ("" because 1-60 would stay the same, just set it the past) when Azeroth wake up
    5)Other worlds, flying Exodar as a main neutral hub

Races:
    most likely (because of model changes):
    1)neutral Naga - fit for Azshara
    2)Ogre for Horde, Vrykul for Alliance - similar races, tall/strong/primitive - fit any time we return to Azeroth
    less likely:
    3)Ethereals - fit for "space" expansion

Classes:
    1)Necromancer - imo most likely next class (pure dps, ranged, cloth)
    2)Tinker - fit Gnomes/Goblins and I don't think expansion like that would create much hype, so I would combine it with "space" expansion (heal/melee/ranged, mail)

Gameplay:
    1) Evolution of artifact system, maybe something like class relic so respec would be easier
    2) Continuation of class stuff, sorry Blizzard, we will be spoiled after Legion and expansion without class stuff will be dissapointing
    3) Legendaries are great, but system is not. It need to be something like challenge quest for 6th artifact skin, or lazy way - return to legendary quest.
    4) For me they hit the mark with raids/dungeons/dailies this expansion, no need for new system.
    5) Some new exiting stuff, duh.

At this point I would like to see them discontinue xpacs in wow, and instead, make a whole new mmo. Keep wow, some what relevant by letting achievements / accomplishments in wow provide some vanity in the new xpac, but all in all, start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    erhm another 10 levels?
    Are you saying that there is a group of players (including yourself) who would be satisfied with just climbing the power ladder again? This is similar to GothamCity's view of just give us a newly structured location to play in and let us have it.

I like seeing how this plays out for those who would indeed continue playing into the foreseeable future with a minimalist take on the game going forward. Are there others here who usually sit quietly beside requests for 12 new classes and 20 new races with different combinations but they just want to play their destruction warlock and see what the next chapter in his/her ultimate story will be? I'm sure there are. Feel free to speak to that point. What else might be something you would love to see for your not-so individual playstyle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying from the start, at max level, would be a selling point. Like TBC.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.