Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ill take any bet right now, IPC on zen will be far behind a 6700k. Like i said pay particular attention to CPU intensive games like WoW as well, it wont even be a competion between skylake and zen.

If you have the money, buying a 6700k right now is a good investment at 80 bucks over 6600k. Zen wont even be in the equation for most gamers. (it will do fine on synthetic benchmarks, but in games it will fall on its face you just wait and see).
    It's not about betting.

It's about the difference between "In my own opinion, I don't believe Zen is going to compete with Intel" and trying to pass off "Zen won't come close to Intel" as a fact.

It's dumb to do so especially when the only thing you're basing that off is an architecture released 5 years ago.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It's not about betting.

It's about the difference between "In my own opinion, I don't believe Zen is going to compete with Intel" and trying to pass off "Zen won't come close to Intel" as a fact.

It's dumb to do so especially when the only thing you're basing that off is an architecture released 5 years ago.
    Exactly the point we've tried to make to this same guy for a long time now. He presents his opinion as fact and when other people present opinions he tells them their opinion is wrong.

IMO, I am thinking Zen will come pretty close to Haswell. If it is, and is cheaper than Skylake/Kaby Lake, it could be a consideration for many budget gamers. A 4/6 Core Zen CPU that gets real close to Haswell performance, but has HT and more Cores than an i5 Skylake/Kaby Lake and is cheaper will definitely be a consideration for some. Granted, if it doesn't even match Haswell performance, if you have a 2500k or newer, not a point in upgrading to it. If you have nothing though and are looking at a budget system, it may be better than an i3/i5 system. Only time will really tell though, as stated, this is all OPINION as there are no facts yet.

Well of course its opinion the stuff isnt out yet lol. I cant remember the quote but AMD CEO said something along the lines of "this is our way back to IPC, but zen is just the beginning". Whatever comes after zen is what we really should be looking forward to.

But yes, OP grab the 6700k while its on sale it will be a good cpu for at least 5 years, probably more.

get the i7 and a 1070 there both cheap on amazon and its about to be black Friday. seems like homeboy a few posts up is a major AMD fan and listing to his input is crap. I'm sure your gonna wanna stream as well as other stuff the i7 will out preform the i5 on. If your gonna build do it big and have fun.

Well of course its opinion the stuff isnt out yet lol. I cant remember the quote but AMD CEO said something along the lines of "this is our way back to IPC, but zen is just the beginning". Whatever comes after zen is what we really should be looking forward to.

But yes, OP grab the 6700k while its on sale it will be a good cpu for at least 5 years, probably more.
    Zen isnt going to be a thing, AMD is so far behind in IPC its going to take quite a long time before they catch up. It will be no where near close to 6700k performance, and at 299 bucks you wont find a better deal on a chip for a long time (and like i said, 260 at microcenter).
    Because that sounds like opinions.(/sarcasm) No, you stated them AS FACTS. If it was opinion, it would be worded like this:

I do not think Zen is going to be a thing, AMD is so far behind in IPC I do not think they will catch up for a while. I do not think it will come anywhere close to 6700k performance.

Saying it will not and saying you think it will not are two very different things. One is stated as a fact, one is not. If it's just an opinion and not a fact, state it as an opinion, not as a fact.

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep it on topic

The thread isn't Intel vs AMD. The thread is whether the extra upgrade to a 6700k and 1070 is worth it over a 6600k and 1060. If you want to talk about Zen vs Intel, open a new thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets compared the two possibilities. One system has a 6600k with a 1060, and the other has a 6700k with a 1070. How they compare to ibuypower prices?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.77 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($244.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $908.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-21 15:56 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.77 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($379.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1123.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-21 16:02 EST-0500

I'm currently using a 6700k and a 1070 EVGA SC. Before i had a 4670k and a GTX 780 and it gamed great. Getting the 6700k over a 6600k wont really change much in games but if you plan on doing rendering or some other CPU intensive stuff I would just get the 6600k and put the money saved toward getting a GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay2cents did a video that showed how a CPU can effect games. Might make you think twice before spending extra for the 6700k.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Jay2cents did a video that showed how a CPU can effect games. Might make you think twice before spending extra for the 6700k.
    Though it'll make a bit more difference in games like BDO, GW2, etc that are CPU intensive.

I will flay your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposed View Post
    Though it'll make a bit more difference in games like BDO, GW2, etc that are CPU intensive.
    CPU IPC intensive, which the 6700K doesn't do any better than the 6600K. A game like Witcher 3 or Ashes of the Singularity would benefit from the 6700K. CPU intensive can mean many things. CPU IPC intensive means the CPU has to have very fast single threaded performance, which the 6700K's hyper threading doesn't help. In fact in some situations it may even hurt it, though that's rare.

The purpose of buying a 6700K is for productivity applications, like video encoding or 3DS Max. If you wanted to compile the Linux kernel, then the 6700K makes sense. Most games do not benefit from hyperthreading, and the games that do are not MMO type games like BDO, GW2, WoW and etc.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-11-22 at 02:55 AM.

I have an i5 4690 (non-K) and GTX 1060 and I can play BDO almost everything set to max at 60 fps. Obviously at high populated areas the fps takes a dip but that's just the nature of MMO's.

So many offtopic, but it's simple:

1080p - 1060
    1440p - 1070
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    There's also a rumor that Intel's next CPU's will have 2 more cores added to their lineup. Just in time for Zen.
    Not even a rumor. You can find the Intel Roadmap document. Six-core/12-thread parts coming to the mainstream In late 2017/early 2018 at the latest.