Strange issues

Specs
    CPU: Intel 5820k
    Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
    Mobo: Sabertooth X99
    RAM: 8x8GB G.skill 2400 MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    HDD: Generic 2TB Toshiba drive (2.5" variant)
    PSU: Corsair RM1000
    Case: NZXT S340

The problem...
    I've had a small variety of quirks and weirdness happening.

1. The boot time being long. I didn't really think more of it originally, but it's getting on my nerves. I assumed it was a bad stick of RAM somewhere, since I purchased the 64GB of RAM in one go back in May, and that's about when I noticed the initial quirkiness.

2. I've had two, maybe three occurrences where the system plainly hung up. Looping audio, frozen screen, no reaction to input. Wouldn't go to bluescreen.

3. Booting up again after those hang-up times I'd get "Overclocking has failed!" messages from the bootscreen - where it lists my specs and stuff. The problem herein, however, is that both my CPU and RAM were already running stock clocks... I've also since had it separately once or twice when booting.

4. I started to run some diagnostics yesterday. After a few things I checked Event Viewer, and it had two regular events happening that were weird...
    • First there would be this error:
      Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.
    • A few seconds after, we had:
      The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    • This was happening once a day - and seems to match when I am booting my computer.

Notes & things I've tried...
    General upgrade path...
    1. I upgraded to the Intel 5820k and Sabertooth X99 in August last year. It was a little slower to boot, but I concluded that was just normal X99 business.
    2. I got a new SSD - the Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - in February. I was building a new computer out of spare parts to sell to a coworker.
    3. And in April my previous R9 290X cards were sold, and I picked up an R9 380 for cheap for a hold-me-over till new stuff came out and dust settled.
    4. In May I purchased the RAM and installed it.
    5. I'd previously run custom watercooling loop. In May, around the time of my RAM upgrade, I replaced the loop with a Noctua NH-U12S.
    6. Just weeks ago I purchased and installed an EVGA GTX 1070 FTW - the day after installation the whole VRM cooling fiasco is revealed, yay.

Yesterday, I had some time to kill, so I decided to stop being a lazy bum about it and run some diagnostics.
    1. I removed one kit of 32GB RAM. Got an "Overclocking failed!" message. I kinda wrote it off as a derp because the system was short 32GB RAM compared to before, but Idk in retrospect.
    2. Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostics. (I should've run it on the whole bunch first, come to think of it...) No errors came up here.
    3. Changed "AI Tuner" from "Auto" to "XMP" - I'm a dumdum, but I honestly don't know if this did anything to or from.
    4. Booted up this morning. The error combo from before (Failed fast startup and unexpected loss of power) came up as happening during boot when I checked Event Viewer.

Plans for things to try today...
    1. My current plan is to test the other 32GB kit in Windows Memory Diagnostics.
    2. If nothing comes up I want to check Event Viewer for any new occurrences of the error from before.
    3. I should confirm whether or not I have fast boot enabled. I don't remember, honestly.
    4. Maybe I should try my old 16GB DDR4 kit from Corsair. I never really had noticeable problems with that that I recall.
    5. Update UEFI - there's certainly a new one somewhere

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, that's a lot of shit up there. Mostly, I'm posting this here to ask if anyone has any further ideas of how to diagnose this and figure out the root cause.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2016-11-22 at 12:39 PM.

Slow booting is a thing ive heard with x99 platform, nothing to be concerned about (but admitedly annoying). As for failed overclock messages, how did you go about the overclock? It is a very bad idea to touch front side bus on x99 only mess with the multiplier. You should be able to just change the multiplier to whatever you want and moving volts up as necessary, doing the overclock this way will allow you to use XMP as well for memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Slow booting is a thing ive heard with x99 platform, nothing to be concerned about (but admitedly annoying). As for failed overclock messages, how did you go about the overclock? It is a very bad idea to touch front side bus on x99 only mess with the multiplier.
    I haven't touched overclocking on this machine. I'd overclocked my previous build, but after upgrading to X99 I've been too lazy to go about doing it. That's exactly why I'm raising an eyebrow at the error message.

And yeah, a slower boot than Z87 was within expectation, but now I'm worried it might be related.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I haven't touched overclocking on this machine. I'd overclocked my previous build, but after upgrading to X99 I've been too lazy to go about doing it. That's exactly why I'm raising an eyebrow at the error message.
    Reset your bios to default, turn multiplier to 42 and enable xmp profile dont touch anything else. This should be a perfect setup until you want to push the chip harder. Also check "sync all cores" when changing the multiplier, i believe thats what its called in asus bios.

I dont think the slow boot is related, i think its just inherent to x99 for some odd reason.

You didnt by any chance install asus software did you? Asus does have a decent overclocking software but maybe that is what is triggering the errors?
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-22 at 10:59 AM.

Nope, haven't installed any bloatware. Not by intent, at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'll doublecheck when I get home, but there shouldn't be anything of the sort.

Nope, haven't installed any bloatware. Not by intent, at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'll doublecheck when I get home, but there shouldn't be anything of the sort.
    I actually like the AI tuner software asus has but in your spot i would remove anything that has asus name in the programs list. Its a shame not to OC a 5820k they do so well, if you do what i said above your system should run perfectly with a 4.2ghz oc and xmp enabled. Ive learned with overclocking newer parts that the less you touch in bios the better results you get lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have reset your bios or try upgrading it?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

I actually like the AI tuner software asus has but in your spot i would remove anything that has asus name in the programs list. Its a shame not to OC a 5820k they do so well, if you do what i said above your system should run perfectly with a 4.2ghz oc and xmp enabled. Ive learned with overclocking newer parts that the less you touch in bios the better results you get lol.
    I've just not felt the urge to OC yet. That's all. Been lazy. But I'd have expected the system to be stable at literally stock settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    You have reset your bios or try upgrading it?
    No and no. I never changed anything OC related in the BIOS...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Is your BIOS up to date? If not, go flash it and see if that fixes anything.
    As mentioned, I haven't done any updates. I'll be giving it a bash when I get home though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,
    I dont think the slow boot is related, i think its just inherent to x99 for some odd reason.
    It wasn't that bad before. It used to be a bit slower than my old rig, but it's gotten noticeably slower than that before I even get the Sabertooth logo. That's why I'm reacting. Anyway, I suspect this is tied to the Event Viewer weirdness.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    3. Booting up again after those hang-up times I'd get "Overclocking has failed!" messages from the bootscreen - where it lists my specs and stuff. The problem herein, however, is that both my CPU and RAM were already running stock clocks... I've also since had it separately once or twice when booting.
    • Changed "AI Tuner" from "Auto" to "XMP" - I'm a dumdum, but I honestly don't know if this did anything to or from.
    XMP is automated RAM overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    XMP is automated RAM overclocking.
    I configured it to XMP yesterday to see if that did anything different. I also selected the default specification that matched the RAM specs.

As others mentioned: update your bios first

Then do a FRESh windows install and start benchmarking your CPU and memory with prime95.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    As others mentioned: update your bios first

Then do a FRESh windows install and start benchmarking your CPU and memory with prime95.
    I'm stuck with mobile broadband and speeds of around 5 mbps. Nuking my OS is the absolute last ditch effort here honestly. Otherwise, sure, that sounds like a plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so haven't had much time today. Only just got home about halfhour ago.

Since coming home, I've gone through BIOS a little. Checked that I set the XMP profile right yesterday. It should be correct. It had no apparent effect on whatever was happening during boot though. Enabled Fast Startup, to see if it made any discernible difference. None. Updated firmware, I'll give the girl a boot tomorrow morning before work to see if it changed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated UEFI. No apparent change. Some googling suggests there are problems with USB hubs. I don't really have anything like that, but I'll go through device manager today to see if any USB devices are fucky anyway.

I'm stuck with mobile broadband and speeds of around 5 mbps. Nuking my OS is the absolute last ditch effort here honestly. Otherwise, sure, that sounds like a plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so haven't had much time today. Only just got home about halfhour ago.

Since coming home, I've gone through BIOS a little. Checked that I set the XMP profile right yesterday. It should be correct. It had no apparent effect on whatever was happening during boot though. Enabled Fast Startup, to see if it made any discernible difference. None. Updated firmware, I'll give the girl a boot tomorrow morning before work to see if it changed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated UEFI. No apparent change. Some googling suggests there are problems with USB hubs. I don't really have anything like that, but I'll go through device manager today to see if any USB devices are fucky anyway.
    Why does your internet connection determine whether you can do a fresh install or not? Don't you have a ready-to-go Windows 10 installer USB?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Why does your internet connection determine whether you can do a fresh install or not? Don't you have a ready-to-go Windows 10 installer USB?
    I think I have one, but the problem is I installed Windows 10 while I lived in a different location. Most of my junk is still in boxes in a room. And even with Windows 10 itself reinstalled, I have to redownload a lot of stuff, among them newer Windows updates like anniversary edition.