Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Hero Names for Demon Hunters

Warcraft III has a list of "Hero Names" for demon hunters. I did not play WC3 so I don't know if those refer to specific NPCs or what. I'm also wondering where those names came from, in the roleplay sense. Did the DHs name themselves? Were they given nicknames by fellow DHs? Or maybe they came from other elves? Maybe Illidan or one of our commanders named us (thinking Illidan would be into pumping us up, but probably too busy).

Hero names listed include: Shadowsong, Shadowfury, Shadowstalker, Flameseeker, Darkweaver, Darkterror, Darksorrow, Sindweller, Painkiller, Hellbourne, Wrathbringer, Ragerunner, Firebrand, Bloodwrath, Terrorblade

I got my initial Night Elf name off the Fantasy Name Generator. "Felfaadaern" came up as an early option, and couldn't resist being "Fel" for short. The names all have a last name similar to the DH hero ones above, things like Windspear, Woodflower, etc. According to the website, "Last names usually stay the same from generation upon generation and they have been like this for millenia, often long before the birth of some of the other races. As mentioned, they often reflect nature."

Blizz doesn't give us the option for two separate words in our names, i.e., no first and last, so my on-screen name is Felfaadaern. But I like the idea of using one of the DH hero names for my last. I'm drawn to "Darkterror", as my favorite selfie so far has me feeling like Batman.

SO... If I do continue to stylize myself as "Felfaadaern Darkterror", where should I roleplay the last name as coming from?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-08-30 at 11:42 PM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call it Flufflysparkles
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of leaning toward roleplaying it as an Illidari right-of-passage. Darkterror couldn't have been my old family name, as it doesn't fit with Night Elf culture, but it could have been my "reborn" name, once I survived my transition to DH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    Call it Flufflysparkles
    Too scary :O

Deleted
    Kana Starseeker!

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't made a DH yet, I plan to have the name 'Nightbrace'. Hadn't really thought of what the first name would be. But yeah, I figure names like those have to be either bestowed (presumably by Illidan) or taken up by the hunter themselves after some rite of passage or ritual.

7+ Year Old Account
    xxillidanzxx seems the most fitting imo.

jokes aside, when i get my game in 2-3 days im gonna call mine Starbane, or valssirian, his full name: Valssirian Starbane.

if both names are taken i'll do the usual:
    1) nerd rage -> 2) spell it differently, if that doesnt work ->3) come up with a new name/browse the internet for generic edgy fantasy elf names.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-08-31 at 07:25 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    When I think of a last name for my DH it's usually "Felseeker", but that's because "Sindweller" and "Felbreaker" have been taken by other NPC's.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    As for the naming convention, I think it's up to each Demon Hunter personally given that we got varying names:

Illidan Stormrage - Original name (Then again he's a special case compared to the rest)
    Kayn Sunfury - Could be his original, or he could've changed it
    Illysanna Ravencrest - Pretty normal Night Elf name, most likely original name.
    Varedis Felsoul - Obvious rename, at least the surname
    Altruis the Sufferer - Obvious rename/title
    Loramus Thalipedes - Could go either way

Personally I'm running a theme with my Demon Hunter characters where the first part of their name is part of an Elven name and the last part of their name is a part of the Demon they "merged" with it's name. Haven't given them official surnames yet

The Warcraft III ones are almost certainly nicknames/surnames. That said they only appeared in Multiplayer matches

I have it going that demon hunters receive a new name when they "pass the test", and they may choose to use it or not.

For example, my night elf was called Valyrion Evenstar but he is now called Felstar. Someone who remembers him from before might still call him Valyrion though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You need more egde. Have a asian Demon Hunter named Fuuk Yu. Show that you are true egdelord.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have decided...

1) My village in Ashenvale was wiped out by the Legion. My immediate family were killed. I heard there was a way to fight back and made my way to Black Temple.
    2) Understanding that my choices were both dangerous and controversial, I made a decision to leave my old identity behind. When I arrived at Black Temple, I introduced myself as Felfaadaern (headcannon: this is Darnassian for "Demonsbane").
    3) For the transformation, I was paired with a fel bat. I developed a predilection for pouncing from darkness. This, combined with my black hair and tattoos, led others in my unit to dub me "Darkterror".
    4) Now that we've been reintroduced to polite society, I am uncomfortable with the idea of meeting someone I used to know, of them seeing what I've become. I don't know if any of them are still alive; they probably assume I'm dead, and it's probably best if it stays this way. I cover my face on the off chance any of them see me.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-09-01 at 08:17 AM.

Deleted
    'I think that's just like it goes for Death Knights, Forsaken or Blood Elves (maybe also Paladins and Priests), some keep their given name while some give themselves new names that fit their new profession and identity.

I got 3 names here that I gave 3 demon hunters recently for a semi-small backstory to these 3 brothers for myself and 2 friends.

If anyone is interested I could slap it down here for ya guys to pick at

Goku, because it's a GOKU super Sayian class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Management View Post
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Management View Post
    I LoL'd.... but what would you call him after DH's get nerfed really hard? "HeartVirus"?

Quote Originally Posted by Arienda View Post
    I LoL'd.... but what would you call him after DH's get nerfed really hard? "HeartVirus"?
    I don't know, Krillin?

You cant go wrong with Skillidan

Quote Originally Posted by Witcher Arafal View Post
    xxillidanzxx seems the most fitting imo.

jokes aside, when i get my game in 2-3 days im gonna call mine Starbane, or valssirian, his full name: Valssirian Starbane.

if both names are taken i'll do the usual:
    1) nerd rage -> 2) spell it differently, if that doesnt work ->3) come up with a new name/browse the internet for generic edgy fantasy elf names.
    Sorry about that, I used Starbane for my DK's name at the time, if you were unable to acquire it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Sorry about that, I used Starbane for my DK's name at the time, if you were unable to acquire it.
    i actually decided not to make one at all.
    lost interest in them.

Formerly known as Arafal