help with levelling a prot pally

Hello, i got some questions with levelling a prot pally.

I'm level 43 now, so far i know there's no set rotation to tanking, but what i do is Consecration, blessed hammer spam mostly during trash packs.

Single target i also use shield of the righteous.

is this about right? sometimes i'm tanking trash and my health drops super fast and i only have light of the protector and divine protection to mitigate a little, should i be spamming blessed hammer more?

my talents so far are blessed hammer and first avenger.

Deleted
    use light when you are sitting in consecration
    use judgement

alternatively if you wanted you could take consecrated hammer to help boost your healing and not have to worry about the timing of consecration

dont try and take on too much when your low level you might feel invincible in comparison to other classes but your not

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    Hello, i got some questions with levelling a prot pally.

I'm level 43 now, so far i know there's no set rotation to tanking, but what i do is Consecration, blessed hammer spam mostly during trash packs.

Single target i also use shield of the righteous.

is this about right? sometimes i'm tanking trash and my health drops super fast and i only have light of the protector and divine protection to mitigate a little, should i be spamming blessed hammer more?

my talents so far are blessed hammer and first avenger.
    Avengers Shield is also huge, as I'm guessing you realize since you talented it. Always target the casters (look for the mana bar) of trash packs to silence them and pull them into melee range.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

so... i'm not really doing anything wrong besides pulling too much sometimes?

at higher levels against bosses i'm guessing it's about shield of righteous and blessed hammer spam to reduce dmg taken based on the playstyle at this level, i assume they dont stack or that would be OP but is there a counter or debuff on the boss i can track to know when to use shield/blessed hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    so... i'm not really doing anything wrong besides pulling too much sometimes?

at higher levels against bosses i'm guessing it's about shield of righteous and blessed hammer spam to reduce dmg taken based on the playstyle at this level, i assume they dont stack or that would be OP but is there a counter or debuff on the boss i can track to know when to use shield/blessed hammer?
    Hard to say if you're pulling too much without being there. Are you holding agro on everything you pull? Are you dying? Is your healer struggling to keep others alive because you require all of their attention? There aren't any hard and fast rule about how much to pull; it's all about what makes for the smoothest run.

At higher levels it's less about spamming anything and more about knowing when to use what. You won't be able to have Shield of the Righteous up 100% of the time, so you make sure you have a charge ready for when you're about to get hit hard. You use other defensives (Eye of Tyr, Ardent Defender, trinkets, etc.) to fill in between charges of SotR.

Defensives do stack, but they stack multiplicatively rather than additively. This makes it better to rotate them one at a time unless you're expecting something really nasty (Cenarius or Odyn's spears, for example).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd recommend this video for all aspiring tanks:

- - - Updated - - -

And here's another he's done more recently:

Deleted
    Get DBM or another similar addon, itll tell you when there is a spike coming in
    like benhir said you cant keep SoTr up all the time so make sure you keep one for when you need it, there are talents that can help later on in the build that will provide a bit of backup but just keep tanking and dont over pull. Use avengers shield on the caster first and consecration should be able to generate the threat while your waiting for your GCD so you can use hammer judgement should also be used on cooldown

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    Hard to say if you're pulling too much without being there. Are you holding agro on everything you pull? Are you dying? Is your healer struggling to keep others alive because you require all of their attention? There aren't any hard and fast rule about how much to pull; it's all about what makes for the smoothest run.

At higher levels it's less about spamming anything and more about knowing when to use what. You won't be able to have Shield of the Righteous up 100% of the time, so you make sure you have a charge ready for when you're about to get hit hard. You use other defensives (Eye of Tyr, Ardent Defender, trinkets, etc.) to fill in between charges of SotR.

Defensives do stack, but they stack multiplicatively rather than additively. This makes it better to rotate them one at a time unless you're expecting something really nasty (Cenarius or Odyn's spears, for example).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd recommend this video for all aspiring tanks:

- - - Updated - - -

And here's another he's done more recently:

i watched it also now and wanne try it out are his class videos also up to date since i wanne know the difference between the tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flexo View Post
    i watched it also now and wanne try it out are his class videos also up to date since i wanne know the difference between the tanks
    The last tank comparisons I watched from him were still on test servers. He may have some newer ones out, but I haven't seen them.

I wonder one thing, how much I will gimp myself if I set loot to ret and tank with just dps gear? Are the stat weights completly different for both specs?