Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Two things here:

1. Tearing. While it technically "exists" on a panel without gsync, no one can see this. THIS is tearing, what you guys are talking about is not perceivable by the eyes, and 144hz panels dont tear like in this video with or without gysnc:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklIpcGAsiQ

2. If you own a gsync monitor, you likely own a gtx 1070 or 1080 given how expensive these panels are i think that is a reasonable conclusion. How many games are ACTUALLY able to take advantage of gsync? Think about the vast array of games on the market and how many people play the popular easy to run games, gsync isnt even coming into play on a HUGE part of the games available today. Gsync is so odd in that you need to be dipping down quite a bit below your refresh rate for gsync to really be valuable, that the only people currently gsync makes sense for are people with lower end GPU's....but these people cant afford a gsync monitor!

Gsync is not a game changer, its a cool technology that makes sense on paper but in practice it is not near as big of a deal as high hz monitors or blur reduction technology.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The are only two reasons a manufacturer puts a TN panel in a mid-high end screen and thats because either they are making a 144Hz screen for FPS/racing games or
    There are 144hz IPS screens. Heck, mine is 165hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Two things here:

1. Tearing. While it technically "exists" on a panel without gsync, no one can see this. THIS is tearing, what you guys are talking about is not perceivable by the eyes, and 144hz panels dont tear like in this video with or without gysnc:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklIpcGAsiQ

2. If you own a gsync monitor, you likely own a gtx 1070 or 1080 given how expensive these panels are i think that is a reasonable conclusion. How many games are ACTUALLY able to take advantage of gsync? Think about the vast array of games on the market and how many people play the popular easy to run games, gsync isnt even coming into play on a HUGE part of the games available today. Gsync is so odd in that you need to be dipping down quite a bit below your refresh rate for gsync to really be valuable, that the only people currently gsync makes sense for are people with lower end GPU's....but these people cant afford a gsync monitor!

Gsync is not a game changer, its a cool technology that makes sense on paper but in practice it is not near as big of a deal as high hz monitors or blur reduction technology.
    We understand your opinion, you don't need to regurgitate the same thing over and over again because, guess what, it's still an opinion.

The tearing example you provided, is extreme. There are far more subtle examples of visible tearing on high-refresh-rate screens.

Dipping below your refresh rate isn't that hard, considering how high refresh rates and resolutions go - even with high-end cards. You don't see any 60hz, 1080p screens with Gsync, do you? You see 1440p, 165hz or 4k, 60hz at the opposite side of the spectrum. Why? Because there's a fair chance you WILL dip below your refresh rate at those resolutions, which is when Gsync kicks in and shows its value.

The fact that you mention this further confirms my suspicion that you're indeed, not a very demanding gamer. In which case I would also advise not to invest in a Gsync screen.

Every single game I own, performs discernibly better with Gsync enabled, by the way.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 10:20 AM.

no one can see this
    lol

How many games are ACTUALLY able to take advantage of gsync?
    every single one of them because they are all without tearing now

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Ex-fucking-actly.

In your opinion, based on how you interpret one sentence of one review.

For me and many others, it absolutely was game changing.

You, "my dear friend", do not determine the worth of technology. Apparently, you're not very demanding when it comes to gaming performance anyway. Which explains a lot.
    If you had to pick one or the other, would you take gsync on a 60hz monitor or a 144hz panel without gsync?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    lol

every single one of them because they are all without tearing now
    Please read my post. The tearing you speak of isnt the conventional tearing i am talking about, on 144hz panels they simply do not tear like the video i posted. Sure it exists, but if you cant see it how do you know its there?

The point i am trying to get across here guys is to people that are in the market for a gaming monitor. You dont buy a gaming monitor for gsync, you buy it for 144hz and general quality of the display and stand, gsync is just a bonus. People need to understand gsync isnt the key feature of these monitors.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-23 at 10:22 AM.

If you had to pick one or the other, would you take gsync on a 60hz monitor or a 144hz panel without gsync?

- - - Updated - - -

Please read my post. The tearing you speak of isnt the conventional tearing i am talking about, on 144hz panels they simply do not tear like the video i posted. Sure it exists, but if you cant see it how do you know its there?
    The question you pose is invalid for obvious reasons: It depends on the resolution. I would definitely pick 60hz with Gsync if it was a 4k monitor.

Subtle tearing and stuttering, are definitely visible. You know, why don't you just youtube a pendulum video, gsync vs non-gsync and see for yourself.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 10:29 AM.

The question you pose is invalid for obvious reasons: It depends on the resolution. I would definitely pick 60hz with Gsync if it was a 4k monitor.
    Why would you assume a 4k monitor? Hardly any of those exist on the market, you only brought up 4k because you know gsync finally has some validity at that resolution.

Why would you assume a 4k monitor? Hardly any of those exist on the market, you only brought up 4k because you know gsync finally has some validity at that resolution.
    Wow, you really are dense, aren't you?

The inquiry you provided, makes no sense, whatsoever, without mentioning the resolution. Don't you get this simple concept? Why would a manufacturer put a Gsync module in an 1080p 60hz screen?

You make no sense.

You're not sufficiently qualified to judge the general value of Gsync. Your opinion, on the other hand, is quite clear.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 10:36 AM.

if you cant see it how do you know its there?
    I aint blind

Why would you assume a 4k monitor? Hardly any of those exist on the market
    are you serious ?

they have been around for a few years now and rapidly increasing in number in 2016 especially

4K is the future

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    I aint blind

are you serious ?

they have been around for a few years now and rapidly increasing in number in 2016 especially

4K is the future
    Furthermore, popularity of 4k monitors is increasing thanks to Gsync. While low frame rates were intolerable before, it now is a thing of the past.

If you've never experienced Gsync first hand, I understand it's difficult to grasp. But Gsync really does make 30fps feel like 60. Ergo, it lowers the threshold to purchase a high-res screen.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 10:39 AM.

Wow, you really are dense, aren't you?

The inquiry you provided, makes no sense, whatsoever, without mentioning the resolution. Don't you get this simple concept? Why would a manufacturer put a Gsync module in an 1080p 60hz screen?
    Considering almost no 4k gsync screens exist today, why would YOU come to that conclusion?????

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The point i am trying to get across here guys is to people that are in the market for a gaming monitor. You dont buy a gaming monitor for gsync, you buy it for 144hz and general quality of the display
    Actually you buy it for all of the above. If I was buying a new monitor I wouldn't want one without G-sync it's that good, 70-80 FPS under G-sync is noticeably better than 70-80 FPS @ fixed 144Hz.

I know of exactly one, he brought up 4k because he knows as the market currently sits gsync cannot hold a candle to the impact of 144hz screens or blur reducing strobing backlights. Instead of answering my question of if he would take gsync or 144hz he brought up 4k gsync displays because he knows that is when gsync will finally be useful (unless there is a massive jump in GPU power by then).

Considering almost no 4k gsync screens exist today, why would YOU come to that conclusion?????
    They do.

Anyway, you're not sufficiently informed to further make your case.

Do with the information provided by us, whatever you want. Just don't go about spouting opinions pretending they're facts.
    I know of exactly one, he brought up 4k because he knows as the market currently sits gsync cannot hold a candle to the impact of 144hz screens or blur reducing strobing backlights. Instead of answering my question of if he would take gsync or 144hz he brought up 4k gsync displays because he knows that is when gsync will finally be useful (unless there is a massive jump in GPU power by then).
    Because your question was utterly stupid.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 10:46 AM.

Actually you buy it for all of the above. If I was buying a new monitor I wouldn't want one without G-sync it's that good, 70-80 FPS under G-sync is noticeably better than 70-80 FPS @ fixed 144Hz.
    Why is that? What exactly about gsync can you not live without?

- - - Updated - - -

They do.

Anyway, you're not sufficiently informed to further make your case.

Do with the information provided by us, whatever you want. Just don't go about spouting opinions pretending they're facts.

Because your question was utterly stupid.
    I asked you a hypothetical to try and prove a point, which you refused to answer because it would show you do understand gsync is not as much of a game changer as 144hz or blur reduction. Its fine if you are happy with your monitor purchase, but i am here to let people know gsync is not the reason you buy a gaming monitor today....its just a bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

I asked you a hypothetical to try and prove a point, which you refused to answer because it would show you do understand gsync is not as much of a game changer as 144hz or blur reduction. Its fine if you are happy with your monitor purchase, but i am here to let people know gsync is not the reason you buy a gaming monitor today....its just a bonus.
    Mate, you can not make a point, with a stupid question. But I imagine you can't fathom this simple concept either.

Mate, you can not make a point, with a stupid question. But I imagine you can't fathom this simple concept either.
    It was a stupid question because i didn't specify the resolution? Ok fine ill roll with that, now i must wonder why you then insisted on talking about 4k with gsync when hardly any exist on the market. Why didn't you automatically assume 1440p like most gsync panels today?

Ill ask again, given a 1440p resolution and you had to pick one or the other would you take gsync and 60hz or a standard 144hz panel? Given your runarounds previously lets also assume were talking about games today and not in 2025 or something.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The lack of screen tear or lag.

No Sync = tearing.
    V-Sync = lag.
    G-Sync = The sex.

It was a stupid question because i didn't specify the resolution? Ok fine ill roll with that, now i must wonder why you then insisted on talking about 4k with gsync when hardly any exist on the market. Why didn't you automatically assume 1440p like most gsync panels today?

Ill ask again, given a 1440p resolution and you had to pick one or the other would you take gsync and 60hz or a standard 144hz panel? Given your runarounds previously lets also assume were talking about games today and not in 2025 or something.
    I'll just pretend you're dimwitted and explain very carefully that It completely depends on the games played and hardware used.

If hardware would allow to play games effortlessly at 144 fps or higher, without framedrops, I would go for the 144hz panel without Gsync.

If hardware isn't potent enough to guarantee constant 60 fps (or higher), I'd go for the 60hz panel with Gsync.
    (Example: Games at 4k)

This is based, on the two ridiculously limited options provided by your hypothetical inquiry. I would obviously prefer a 144hz screen with Gsync, because it's nigh impossible to guarantee constant 144fps, without drops at 1440p without lowering quality settings.

You ask questions expecting binary anwswers, while in fact, there are many variables to consider before making a decision.

THAT is why I gave 4k as an example; 4k makes Gsync extremely valuable at low refresh, because it's tough to maintain 60 fps constantly at that resolution unless you're playing very simple games, or are willing to compromise on quality settings.

By the way, I count 4 different brands that offer 4k displays with either Gsync or Freesync; Asus, Acer, Iiyama, LG - Not that it matters.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2016-11-23 at 02:16 PM.

The thing is though mid-range TN != mid-range IPS. My screen cost the same as a ASUS RoG Swift which a couple of years ago was the best TN screen you could get yet my screen looked noticeably better. The are only two reasons a manufacturer puts a TN panel in a mid-high end screen and thats because either they are making a 144Hz screen for FPS/racing games or they are trying to save money so they can keep their prices down.

If you do play a lot of FPS/racing games then a high refresh TN panel will serve you well but if you don't or if you prefer MMORPG or MOBA games (or use your screen for work) then there's no reason not to go for the superior colour and viewing angles or IPS, especially as you can get them in up to 100Hz these days anyway.
    Well, there are 2 good reasons.

1) The color is not superior. Sure, it used to be, but it is not anymore.
    2) I can't understand why people give 2 shits about this. I sit directly if front of my monitor. If I am not, I can move my chair a bit because, *gasp*, it has wheels. If for some reason that does not work, I can adjust the monitor and turn it so it is directly facing me. I understand wanting wider viewing angles on a TV, where due to seating arrangements maybe not everyone watching will be able to be directly in front of it, but a computer monitor?

So why spend more money for no gain?