Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

What are your current criticisms with Rift

I figured since a lot of people were disdained with the expansion this thread would be kind of ok so people could just air out what they feel are their issues with Rift and possible ways to improve upon them. I imagine anyone who posts here loves Rift and wants to see the game improve. I know I do.

For me these are my top 3.

1. Community. The forums moderation ethic seems to be this. Any ounce of criticism get's shut down. This is not acceptable imo as a game needs criticism both positive and negative to grow. Solution. Get a moderation team that actually wants to moderate instead of shut down threads that have valid concerns or criticisms.

2. Ingame store. Yes I know a lot of things such as the gear slots and Planewalker for example can be farmed in game. But it is not acceptable having gear slots on a store nor raid gear. The obnoxious ingame grind would also make you just want to open your wallet as well. Solution. Make the store a cosmetic only thing. Get rid of gear slots, raid gear and other stuff like that. A cosmetic store would easily benefit Rift due to cosmetics being a big thing in that. Hell throw housing items on there since housing is arguably the best feature of Rift.

3. The expansion itself. Launched with half the content disabled for 2 days. Had to disable content after because it was causing a crash for the entire EU/NA servers. This is unacceptable for any expansion launch and no MMO has had to go this far before. Solution. You have a Beta up for months and even an open one, start using it to gather feedback and fix these issues before launch. Yes some get through but this is not a case of a bug just getting through if half the content was disabled.

Any insulting/name calling and I will ask the moderator here to lock it. Please keep it clean and civil.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-23 at 01:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

3. The expansion itself. Launched with half the content disabled for 2 days. Had to disable content after because it was causing a crash for the entire EU/NA servers. This is unacceptable for any expansion launch and no MMO has had to go this far before
    How about false advertising, would you consider that "unacceptable" for any Expansion launch?

I took a look at my old Wrath of the Lich King box because i thought it mentioned something that wasn't even in the game, lo and behold, i quote:

"Engage in aerial dogfights with flying mounts and new,gnome-engineered planes."
    That's written on the box, clear as day, that was "disabled" and then put back in the game?, nope it was never in the game, guess it was another dance studio.

Thought i'd mention it as you seem adamant having something that was crashing servers was disabled but will be turned back on when fixed was "unacceptable"

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    How about false advertising, would you consider that "unacceptable" for any Expansion launch?

I took a look at my old Wrath of the Lich King box because i thought it mentioned something that wasn't even in the game, lo and behold, i quote:

That's written on the box, clear as day, that was "disabled" and then put back in the game?, nope it was never in the game, guess it was another dance studio.

Thought i'd mention it as you seem adamant having something that was crashing servers was disabled but will be turned back on when fixed was "unacceptable"
    Please keep the discussion to Rift Slipmat. No point in derailing now is there? We are here to air out our criticisms with Rift not other MMOs. If you want to do that I would suggest the video games discussion or in your case the WoW general forums since your grievance is more aimed at WoW.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-23 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Engage in aerial dogfights with flying mounts and new,gnome-engineered planes."

You don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe if you did every quest in the game, you would know:

1. There is an aerial quest in the "lost" quest area involving a gnome plane
    2. there was an ENGINEERING gnome plane mount.
    2. There is a RAID boss aboard a gnomish ship where you battle another airship next to it.
    3. Malygos and the one dungeon - flying mounts AND aerial combat?

Does it specifically say PvP aerial dogfights?

Why we talking about Warcraft? again?
    What do your meaningless comparisons make? Rift: Starfall Prophecy fails perfectly fine in many areas on its own merit.
    It doesn't need to compare to other games as some sort of warped justification for current failings.

Last edited by theWocky; 2016-11-23 at 03:49 PM.

While Wocky's image is a bit over the top I do admit they have said some things that bug me. Specifically the way they handled Sharding and load balancing. I think it should offer the player the chance to move or at least tell them they have been moved from their home shard.

Polished and Less buggy content is another thing that gets me. You have a Beta for months even an open one so how does the expansion come out with content disabled? Yes bugs get through in any beta but not on this scale. If content has to be disabled because of a bug then there was no intent to fix it during the Beta period.

Also yes I will say this again. KEEP THE DISCUSSION TO RIFT PLEASE. We are not here to do any game vs game crap. This is purely for getting our issues and criticisms on the table as well as what we feel can be done to improve upon the game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-23 at 03:36 PM.

I feel like Rifts population could be merged to 2 realms (pvp/pve) ... it seems so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I feel like Rifts population could be merged to 2 realms (pvp/pve) ... it seems so low.
    They have done that with Sharding tech sort of. It does throw people together on one shard however the problem is unless you right click your character portrait you have no way of knowing. All I say is show a message saying that you have been moved from your home shard.

They have done that with Sharding tech sort of. It does throw people together on one shard however the problem is unless you right click your character portrait you have no way of knowing. All I say is show a message saying that you have been moved from your home shard.
    I haven't played Rift in awhile, but the population seems dismal. Why even have it that way? Just merge them for good.

Deleted
    The way they implement changes, i stopped playing when they gave players 2 days notice, only via a forum post, that earring slots would no longer be buyable with ingame currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    The way they implement changes, i stopped playing when they gave players 2 days notice, only via a forum post, that earring slots would no longer be buyable with ingame currency.
    Yeah was a bit bad timing on their part however they did revert it. Problem is to unlock that and Planewalker water it's just too obnoxious to grind. Basically you would rather open the wallet than grind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I haven't played Rift in awhile, but the population seems dismal. Why even have it that way? Just merge them for good.
    I guess the same reason WoW has CRZ. Most people view server merges as the game dying. Rift already did this after opeing boatloads of them when their launch exceeded their expectations. They had something like 3 pvp servers, 3 rp servers, an rp-pvp server, and something around 10-15 pve servers (just in NA). Then they had to merge some and people were crying "RIFT IS DEAD!" When it comes to this "load balancing" or whatever it is, I personally feel that pvp and rp servers should be left out of it (or just "merged" with others of that type). I chose Faeblight to stay away from people named "Amazingbowjob" (same reason I chose an RP server in WoW). But there are times when the game decides Faeblight is going to be the server where everyone gets shoved to, so I see all kinds of @Greybriar etc out in the world.

As for my criticisms with Rift. Having things disabled for any length of time at the start of an expansion. Also very annoyed that IAs are disabled until who knows when. Really not enjoying having to slog through SL zones. And trying to finish previous Rift zones (iron pine, shimmersand, etc) by mentoring down gives shit for experience. I could finish a whole zone and not get a single level.

Overall, I love Rift. I am rather disappointed with their art style direction (always have been, and is my biggest gripe with the game as a whole). Also, their f2p monetization is just obscene compared to other games (though not as bad as some others as well).

10+ Year Old Account
    Please keep the discussion to Rift Slipmat. No point in derailing now is there? We are here to air out our criticisms with Rift not other MMOs.
    There you go moving those goalposts again, you very specifically went beyond discussing Rift only with what you said:

This is unacceptable for any expansion launch and no MMO has had to go this far before
    All you had to do was say it was "unacceptable for a Rift Expansion launch", saying any Expansion for other MMOs allows me or anyone else to debate the issue with you and mention any other game and it's Expansion(s)

Then again i already did that, mentioning games that had stuff disabled at launch but got added later but of course you choose to ignore them because it didn't fit your agenda

Does it specifically say PvP aerial dogfights?
    Take a look at your WotLK box, look where it says what i quoted, then look at the picture, it specifically shows two players engaged in a dogfight in Wintergrasp so yeah, it does mean PvP aerial dogfights.

There you go moving those goalposts again, you very specifically went beyond discussing Rift only with what you said:

All you had to do was say it was "unacceptable for a Rift Expansion launch", saying any Expansion allows me or anyone else to debate the issue with you and mention any other game and it's Expansion(s)

Then again i already did that, mentioning games that had stuff disabled at launch but got added later but of course you choose to ignore them because it didn't fit your agenda

Take a look at your WotLK box, look where it says what i quoted, then look at the picture, it specifically shows two players engaged in a dogfight in Wintergrasp so yeah, it does mean PvP aerial dogfights.
    I never mentioned any other MMO. I said it was uncommon for MMOs to disable a majority of content at launch which it is. Please stop derailing the thread and bringing other games into this please thank you. I have asked you politely.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-23 at 04:20 PM.

I never mentioned any other MMO. I said it was uncommon for other MMOs to do so which it is. Please stop derailing the thread and bringing other games into this please thank you.
    Just start reporting his posts for Game vs Game, which is against the forum rules.

@Pachycrocuta btw to expand upon the monetization thing. Honestly if they made their cash shop purely cosmetic and get rid of the borderline p2w stuff it would actually do well. Especially in Rift. Hell like I said stick a load of housing stuff on there. Rift has the best housing system I know of and it would bring in money from that.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-23 at 04:23 PM.

TO be fair slipmat, Viewbotting is far worse than something not on the box. Which RIFT has done..

OP:
    1.) The animations are garbage and need to be redone

2.) Pvp is broken

3.) To many quests that take forever

4.) Lack of communication
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    TO be fair slipmat, Viewbotting is far worse than something not on the box. Which RIFT has done..

OP:
    1.) The animations are garbage and need to be redone

2.) Pvp is broken

3.) To many quests that take forever

4.) Lack of communication
    Oh yeah I forgot about that Comet of Ahnket video. .

How do u know those are players? It does not state pvp aerial dogfights....

Also like Eleccybubb has done said, this is about Rift not WoW. Stay on topic champ.

Ontopic: How p2w Rift went and how broken content when it releases has been. Also them deciding to go from f2p to b2p with this "expansion".

Still one of the most cool world bosses I ever seen, sad I cba to level up and do it. By that point I was just tired of Trion.

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-11-23 at 05:03 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'll throw my thoughts on here quickly. I'll expand on my ideas after I get off work today.

I have several problems with Rift right now. Some have been voiced, some haven't. My first problem is with the absolute lack of quality of the game. In no world should a dev team push an expansion so utterly broken that half of the features of the expansion are disabled at launch. Not to mention the minion system breaking on launch day. A system that has been in place for well over an expansion now. If the game isn't ready, don't launch it.

The payment model is another large gripe I have with this game. There are payment buttons everywhere now. Nothing screams milking your game like having gem buttons on your crafting screen, your talent trees, bag slots, planar fragments, queues for instances and warfronts. It's a huge turn off to see that everywhere.

My other gripe about the payment model is the dishonesty of it. I have no problem paying for new souls, expansions, wardrobes, or mounts. I'm happy to pay money for those things. What should never be locked behind a pay wall is player power. There is no reason to put earrings or planewalker behind a pay wall. It does nothing but punish the players who don't immediately put money into the game. If that means they have a smaller team, I'm fine with that as long as they take the time to produce quality content.

The grind in the game is absurd. There is no reason to put as much grind into the game as there is currently. Half the reason the grind is as long as it is, is because Trion wants you to spend more money on the game, so they implemented these grueling and punishing grind to encourage the players to pay more money.

Rift needs to get away from trying to be WoW 2.0 and making its major features dungeons and raids. WoW already does that on a level that Rift never will. Instead Rift needs to get back to its roots with open world content. That was one of the huge selling points of Rift originally, it went live in a time when people were sick of doing 5-man content and never seeing the massive world the devs put so much time into. Raid rifts, PvP rifts, good zone events, fun IAs, one time events like River of Souls need to be a priority. Not 5 man's.

Hybrid builds need to make a massive comeback. I would argue that the class system was one of the biggest selling points of Rift when it launched. You could make damn near any class you could imagine and a good 89℅ of the time if you kinda knew how to use the talent trees your build was viable.

Also on the subject of classes. Primalist needs its last four souls. You can't neglect an entire calling because "expansion reasons." There are some souls that need some serious TLC. PvP souls need to be brought back into the game, they need to be reimagined as more of a tool for helping balancing PvP amongst the classes.

Stat sticks need to be reduced. Things like earrings, rings, necklaces, or any kind of gear that doesn't function for cosmetic purposes or modify gameplay in an interesting way need to be pulled. There's no reason to have the sheer out of stat stick type gear we do. Seals need to be reimagined to modify souls we're using and planar foci should be reworked to enhance our characters abilities based on which planar pieces we're using.

The policing in the forums need to stop. Disagreeing with someone or Trion isn't harassment.there needs to be open to critique or this game will sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I'll throw my thoughts on here quickly. I'll expand on my ideas after I get off work today.

I have several problems with Rift right now. Some have been voiced, some haven't. My first problem is with the absolute lack of quality of the game. In no world should a dev team push an expansion so utterly broken that half of the features of the expansion are disabled at launch. Not to mention the minion system breaking on launch day. A system that has been in place for well over an expansion now. If the game isn't ready, don't launch it.

The payment model is another large gripe I have with this game. There are payment buttons everywhere now. Nothing screams milking your game like having gem buttons on your crafting screen, your talent trees, bag slots, planar fragments, queues for instances and warfronts. It's a huge turn off to see that everywhere.

My other gripe about the payment model is the dishonesty of it. I have no problem paying for new souls, expansions, wardrobes, or mounts. I'm happy to pay money for those things. What should never be locked behind a pay wall is player power. There is no reason to put earrings or planewalker behind a pay wall. It does nothing but punish the players who don't immediately put money into the game. If that means they have a smaller team, I'm fine with that as long as they take the time to produce quality content.

The grind in the game is absurd. There is no reason to put as much grind into the game as there is currently. Half the reason the grind is as long as it is, is because Trion wants you to spend more money on the game, so they implemented these grueling and punishing grind to encourage the players to pay more money.

Rift needs to get away from trying to be WoW 2.0 and making its major features dungeons and raids. WoW already does that on a level that Rift never will. Instead Rift needs to get back to its roots with open world content. That was one of the huge selling points of Rift originally, it went live in a time when people were sick of doing 5-man content and never seeing the massive world the devs put so much time into. Raid rifts, PvP rifts, good zone events, fun IAs, one time events like River of Souls need to be a priority. Not 5 man's.

Hybrid builds need to make a massive comeback. I would argue that the class system was one of the biggest selling points of Rift when it launched. You could make damn near any class you could imagine and a good 89℅ of the time if you kinda knew how to use the talent trees your build was viable.

Also on the subject of classes. Primalist needs its last four souls. You can't neglect an entire calling because "expansion reasons." There are some souls that need some serious TLC. PvP souls need to be brought back into the game, they need to be reimagined as more of a tool for helping balancing PvP amongst the classes.

Stat sticks need to be reduced. Things like earrings, rings, necklaces, or any kind of gear that doesn't function for cosmetic purposes or modify gameplay in an interesting way need to be pulled. There's no reason to have the sheer out of stat stick type gear we do. Seals need to be reimagined to modify souls we're using and planar foci should be reworked to enhance our characters abilities based on which planar pieces we're using.

The policing in the forums need to stop. Disagreeing with someone or Trion isn't harassment.there needs to be open to critique or this game will sink.
    Aren't a few souls locked behind that paywall currently the best for raiding? I'm very sure one of the mage ones is.