Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Auton View Post
    Passive? The only things she didn't do was hit him or run. She was making a concerted effort to make it difficult for the officer to put the cuffs on her.
    Passive resistance is defined as anything where you're not physically attacking law enforcement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit she sprung a leak. I think he might have jumped the gun on her but it was clear that she wasn't going to cooperate after he said she was under arrest. He did not shoot her for resisting hours so I guess he gets a point there?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Holy shit she sprung a leak. I think he might have jumped the gun on her but it was clear that she wasn't going to cooperate after he said she was under arrest.
    Yes, but there's a lot of better, safer, and frankly easier ways to get a non-compliant person into a position to arrest them. Whether the cop didn't care, or didn't know how to do it could be in question, but I would bet that his department grants him an absurd amount of discretion in what kind of force escalation is allowed. Most do.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Passive resistance is defined as anything where you're not physically attacking law enforcement.
    Yep, and passive resistance is a tactic used by cowards and hypocrites attempting to bait a response to make the other party look bad. Just like being passive aggressive, it's point is to frustrate and annoy. If she simply complied with the officer, nothing would've happened (aside from her being arrested). But she acted like scum, so she was treated like scum, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Doesn't exist. Unless you only defined 'armed' as 'carrying a firearm'.
    yes isn't that generally the issue for all the stories about unarmed people being shot etc because the cops are scared of people carrying a firearm, and then people shooting cops back i do know this is a very infrequent occurrence but still it's got to leave you a lot more on edge than most countries where firearms are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    Yep, and passive resistance is a tactic used by cowards and hypocrites attempting to bait a response to make the other party look bad. Just like being passive aggressive, it's point is to frustrate and annoy. If she simply complied with the officer, nothing would've happened (aside from her being arrested). But she acted like scum, so she was treated like scum, period.
    Speaking from extensive experience, its what 80% of people do when they're facing some kind of arrest. They freak out, clam up, and pull away from anything, and just try to stand there and cry. It's an instinctual reaction for a lot of people. The easiest way to make people comply is to calm them down, and try to guide them towards the position you want them in. When that doesn't work, you can easily rely on some pain compliance to release to an arresting position, that also works really well. Then you start escalating from there. Going immediately to a straight arm 2 on 1, and smashing her face into a column because she's clamming up isn't a good look, and it's not going to make arresting her easier.

She resisted, she got hurt. Her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    Dont want to be beat up police?

Live in a country where law enforcement act like and treat others as human beings.
    Human beings have been killing each other for millennia. How's that for treating others as human beings?

Resist arrest and you'll potentially get hurt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you're going to act like a piece of shit, eventually you're going to be treated appropriately.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Speaking from extensive experience, its what 80% of people do when they're facing some kind of arrest. They freak out, clam up, and pull away from anything, and just try to stand there and cry. It's an instinctual reaction for a lot of people. The easiest way to make people comply is to calm them down, and try to guide them towards the position you want them in. When that doesn't work, you can easily rely on some pain compliance to release to an arresting position, that also works really well. Then you start escalating from there. Going immediately to a straight arm 2 on 1, and smashing her face into a column because she's clamming up isn't a good look, and it's not going to make arresting her easier.
    Except he didn't escalate it, and he didn't slam her face into the column, she ran into it on her own accord. All he did was he tkae her arm and attempt to put it behind her back. She consciously made two decisions. First was to lock her arm, second was to spin away from him. That was what led to the spiraling motion that got her face acquainted with the pillar. If she just tried to stand there and cry, there wouldn't have been any resistance.

He did try to simply guide her into position, but her refusal to be guided is what led to the incident. Up until she collided with the column, she made more active decisions than he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

7+ Year Old Account
    You don't have the "right" to resist. Comply or be made to comply.

Except he didn't escalate it, and he didn't slam her face into the column, she ran into it on her own accord. All he did was he tkae her arm and attempt to put it behind her back. She consciously made two decisions. First was to lock her arm, second was to spin away from him. That was what led to the spiraling motion that got her face acquainted with the pillar. If she just tried to stand there and cry, there wouldn't have been any resistance.

He did try to simply guide her into position, but her refusal to be guided is what led to the incident. Up until she collided with the column, she made more active decisions than he did.
    You can't argue logic/reason with Poly. Best to just nod politely and move on.

...Going immediately to a straight arm 2 on 1, and smashing her face into a column because she's clamming up isn't a good look, and it's not going to make arresting her easier.
    Were we watching the same video? Her face was not smashed into a column. The only time she got close to the column was because she wandered over there and then kept moving around the officer when he had a hold of her. If you are going to resort to hyperbole to support your claim, then the existing foundation must truly be mushy.

There's enough footage to tell us that the officer was not out of line with his handling of the situation, and I am willing to provide enough leeway to say that maybe her resistance caused her to run into the column and the officer may have taken her to the ground to keep her from injuring herself further with her resistance. Sometimes you have to cause someone a little pain to prevent a lot.

Live in a country where law enforcement act like and treat others as human beings.
    Wrong - don't be a criminal in first place and don't resist arrest, and I'm saying that coming from a country where police touches you with satin gloves.

Were we watching the same video? Her face was not smashed into a column. The only time she got close to the column was because she wandered over there and then kept moving around the officer when he had a hold of her. If you are going to resort to hyperbole to support your claim, then the existing foundation must truly be mushy.

There's enough footage to tell us that the officer was not out of line with his handling of the situation, and I am willing to provide enough leeway to say that maybe her resistance caused her to run into the column and the officer may have taken her to the ground to keep her from injuring herself further with her resistance. Sometimes you have to cause someone a little pain to prevent a lot.
    It's between the 26 and 27 second mark. He uses a 2 on 1 straight-arm. The problem is two fold: 1. he drives her head into the stone/brick column. 2. That's an easy way to damage someone's elbow if you drive anyone into anything. You don't want to turn someone's arm out backwards over passive resistance.

Now, I'm certain he wasn't out of line with departmental policy, as most departments allow cops to do anything outside of shooting passive non-compliant people, and even in those cases departments will argue for their officers. You don't use a straight arm to prevent someone from hurting themselves, though. It works entirely by threatening to damage the arm.

- - - Updated - - -

1. You can't bring someone's arm behind their back when you're applying a straight arm the way the cop was.
    2. The only option besides not going forward is having your arm destroyed.

shes blond and a woman is why people are "outraged". no shits given if it was a guy
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

It's between the 26 and 27 second mark. He uses a 2 on 1 straight-arm. The problem is two fold: 1. he drives her head into the stone/brick column. 2. That's an easy way to damage someone's elbow if you drive anyone into anything. You don't want to turn someone's arm out backwards over passive resistance.

Now, I'm certain he wasn't out of line with departmental policy, as most departments allow cops to do anything outside of shooting passive non-compliant people, and even in those cases departments will argue for their officers. You don't use a straight arm to prevent someone from hurting themselves, though. It works entirely by threatening to damage the arm.

- - - Updated - - -

1. You can't bring someone's arm behind their back when you're applying a straight arm the way the cop was.
    2. The only option besides not going forward is having your arm destroyed.
    Everything that happened to her was her own mistake.

She shouldn't have been shoplifting
    She should have complied

If she had put her hands behind her back, she wouldn't have been put in any sort of lock to begin with

It was her decision to be a criminal and the consequences she faces are entirely her own fault. If you're going to claim that it's a normal reaction to being arrested, maybe she shouldn't have tried to steal something in the first place, if she can't handle being put in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    He should have tazed her. After she was done pissing herself from the pain, she would have been as silent as an oak.
    My favorite shoplifter arrest was when this guy tried to run from an officer, but didn't notice two mounted officers had rode up to the other side. He ran straight into the horse, fell to the ground screaming because from his vantage two ninja horses just appeared out of nowhere.

Wish I'd been video-taping it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Everything that happened to her was her own mistake.

She shouldn't have been shoplifting
    She should have complied

If she had put her hands behind her back, she wouldn't have been put in any sort of lock to begin with

It was her decision to be a criminal and the consequences she faces are entirely her own fault. If you're going to claim that it's a normal reaction to being arrested, maybe she shouldn't have tried to steal something in the first place, if she can't handle being put in that position.
    You can't hold the position that 'everything is her fault without exception' and maintain credibility. You obviously wouldn't argue that he's justifying in shooting her, or sexually assaulting her, or setting her on fire. So we're arguing about what point is acceptable. i'm arguing that if there's an easier and safer way of doing things, and the cop decides not to because 'fuck it', it's unjustified.

If this is the first case, he probably shouldn't face any discipline, but a note should be made of it and he should be corrected, knowing that if the pattern of behavior continues, it leads to suspension and eventual firing.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't want to be beat up by police?

Don't be an idiot.

I think that police officer is a complete douche and should be discharge.

She is obviously a drug addict and you can see that by her reactions although she doesn't pose any threat to him at all, he is treating her violently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    I think that police officer is a complete douche and should be discharge.

She is obviously a drug addict and you can see that by her reactions although she doesn't pose any threat to him at all, he is treating her violently.
    Yes we should treat all criminals with respect, and courtesy.
    Maybe they will simply walk their way to jail when told to do so.