Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I still don't have one, took a break recently though.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    RnG is RnG its not diminished returns. He called it softcap because they stop helping. Removing help is not capping your chances. You get 4 with help I get 4 everyone gets 4. Past 4 its once again RnG. Argue all you want the semantics and the meaning of words noone stops you from entering game tonight and winning 4 legendaries from 4 dungeons even. If they stopped you that would be a cap. But there is luck not cap.

Getting tired of explaining the obvious to people who are just stuck in words and their meaning. While you argue about softcaps heres a hard cap: You can have 100 legendaries and only 2 equipped each time. Learn to argue about the real problems.
    I made this account just to laugh at how you're arguing against everyone and everything when you're obviously wrong.

Remember how stats used to work?
    Soft cap for haste:
    1000 haste had a ratio of 1 haste for 1 point.
    1001 haste had a ratio of 1 haste for 1 point for the first 1000 points, then had a .5 for the 1001th point.
    1500 haste was the equivalent of 1250 points.
    ^ Soft cap was 1000 point.

Softcap of legendaries :
    Past 4 legendaries, the chance of you getting a legendary was severely lower than before.
    Therefor ; It is a softcap - It was possible to get more legendaries, but with a severely limited chance of it happening prior to the 4th legendary.

I'm also laughing at your previous quote of "I have a brain so I can think for myself" when told "the blue himself called it a softcap".

My guild's making fun of you too, now.

This is how you think : "I've got a brain so everyone who disagrees with me and proves me wrong are just wrong, I'm right even when proven wrong."
    Last edited by Mavael; 2016-11-24 at 08:03 PM.

All I can say is huehuehuehue. At least this whole ordeal made identifying retards quite easy

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    RnG is RnG its not diminished returns. He called it softcap because they stop helping. Removing help is not capping your chances. You get 4 with help I get 4 everyone gets 4. Past 4 its once again RnG. Argue all you want the semantics and the meaning of words noone stops you from entering game tonight and winning 4 legendaries from 4 dungeons even. If they stopped you that would be a cap. But there is luck not cap.
    You're being deliberately obtuse. First off, the legendary system isn't "true" RNG-- it has bad luck protection built in, which manipulates chances in order to keep you from falling too far onto the bad side of the bell curve. You aren't just rolling a die over and over, which each roll having an equal chance-- each time that you don't roll what you want, they're handing you a new die that's even more weighted towards getting a legendary.

Up until you hit the softcap, that is. Then they stop. Yes, randomness still plays a role, but there is a softcap. Just because you don't understand what the term means doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

So this only really effects the superhardcore farmers that already have 4. Not sure why everyone is freaking out.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Shakesy View Post
    Great. So you made a change that helped people who already have 4 legendaries get more? What about people who have played hundreds of hours and only have 1 shit one, or none at all.....

Baffling.
    Playtime has nothing to do with drop chance. To increase drop chance you have to spend your time doing legendary eligible content. And why should people who spend more time than you farming legendaries be punished?

Quote Originally Posted by Simcaz View Post
    Indeed, read it all, there was no cap
    There was no cap but once you hit 4 Legendary items you wouldn't get the stacking bad luck protection- meaning you're sitting with the absolute lowest chance for a Legendary until Blizzard lifted it.

For me it doesn't matter that much, I'm stuck at two and haven't seen one for soon 6 weeks. However for those most dedicated that have done over 1000 mythic + dungeons in search of their next (maybe best) Legendary it's a massive fucking mistake. Also what if you were playing Outlaw Rogue and got 3 Legendary items then after nerfs and so on you're now playing Assassination and you want 2 Assassination Legendary items? You couldn't.
    Most specs have 2-3 Legendary items for a particular spec, the softcap ment you couldn't play the different specs properly.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    You have a better chance of getting your legendary then you did getting the BIS trinket in previous expansions. If the trinket was on a raid boss you got one try a week and had to hope no one else rolled for the item. A private group getting 3 chests per run would have 15 chances daily to get a legendary not counting daily heroic, caches, and raid runs on 3 difficulties. If bad luck protection builds based on activity then players are building it far faster then in other expansions. So why are we not getting our legendary if the odds stack so fast? Because RNG doesn't care about sub numbers or player outrage.
    The fact that things used to be shittier does not excuse the current system. "Less bad" is not the same thing as "good".

Deleted
    just remember how many people complain about legendary grinding in legion and then figure out how many of these want class servers which is an even worse grind for everything

It's not good or bad luck with legendaries dropping that bothers me, it's that there's a huge difference between legendaries that improve your dps/hps/survivability and those that don't. Getting a Sephuz's Secret as a healer is just blah. All it does is make me oom faster when it procs.

The soft cap thing seems pretty meaningless for about 99.98% of players so there shouldn't be that many people complaining about this

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Yes, but undocumented or not, it didn't deny anything Blizzard had said prior to now. Blizzard thought four was sufficient and an argument clearly exists for that not being a good decision, I'm not arguing that. I don't understand what difference it makes that Blizzard chose to not divulge four being the magic number. They chose four regardless so either way, people would be doing what they are doing now.

If you want to argue that removing the protection at four is bad, that's fine
    If you want to argue that Blizzard did something wrong by withholding that information, I don't really see it. They made that decision regardless of sharing it with the playerbase and they never lied about anything. People would be farming for a fifth, sixth, etc legendary regardless of whether they knew how hard it would be.
    The problem is that they didn't just withold the information, they released information that seemingly implied that there was no softcap. If you say "there's bad luck protection, and here's how it works", but you specifically avoid mentioning the softcap, then you're misleading the players, intentionally or not.

I've seen 3 legs since release, 2 on my main (both BIS) and 1 on an alt. Everytime they've dropped they were a nice surprise. I retained one in Eye off worm boss, one from a cache reward, and one of a world boss. I don't do raids, I do however spam the M+ system. I wouldn't say they were ever mandatory, players only make things mandatory today because the players set the bar for what's mandatory.

Strangely, the greatest belly achers about the system are the raiders because the guilds hold not having legendaries on the responsibility of the players and seem to blame their own progression to a lack of having them in certain roles. I can agree with THIS system, because how many guilds you see out there have those people who only log in to raid, do a handful of WQs, and then log. It's going to require time clocked in the max level content to beat the odds. If you consider 10 bosses a week grinding them out, then you were doing it wrong all along, and your odds of getting them are rightly reduced. Hanging out in Dal is not content. Completing only AP WQs is not completing content.

What I've found worked for me in this whole mess is simple. Don't expect them to drop, and consider any one that drops for you just a nice surprise. A watched pot never boils. I know, wrong audience.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    The soft cap thing seems pretty meaningless for about 99.98% of players so there shouldn't be that many people complaining about this
    Ha. Good one. It's a thread about something related to WoW, people need to complain and defend their opinions!

7+ Year Old Account
    thats why Ion is an idiot and whole legendary system sucks hardly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundh View Post
    What he defines as soft-cap, is not what you defined as soft-cap. Most people were rambling how you could not possibly get more than 4 legendaries, which was obviously not true.
    If you couldn't get more than four, that would not be a soft cap. It would be a hard cap.

"Soft Cap" is the wrong terminology for this either way.

The system did not stop anyone from getting more than 4 Legendaries, it simply did not give you the "Bad Luck" protection any longer. The drop rate was simply the "base" drop rate of 0.001% or whatever it is set to.

I don't play enough so I doubt I will ever get a single legendary unless they change it to a guaranteed drop from a specific kill at some point. It should have been a token system, but clearly none of us "arm-chair" devs know what is best for the game, I guess they need to keep people playing somehow.

This game look like diablo 3 vanilla: THE SHIT
    Look like u don't know nothing about WOW and the best in slot.
    I drop 4 Shit legendary, a different player drop 2 bis , how i can be fuking competitive?
    If u nerf a class specialization and i need to reroll a different and the legendary soft cap is 4 how i can.
    Aren't for you 4 shit legendary a bad luck FFS???? Stop troll the players and focuss on this game

Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    "Soft Cap" is the wrong terminology for this either way.

The system did not stop anyone from getting more than 4 Legendaries, it simply did not give you the "Bad Luck" protection any longer. The drop rate was simply the "base" drop rate of 0.001% or whatever it is set to.
    I posted about this a few pages back-- that is the definition of a softcap.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelheim View Post
    A softcap doesn't mean "you can't go beyond this point no matter what", it means "past this point, further progress is harder/slower/less effective".

For instance, specs which have their GCD reduced by haste have a softcap on haste-- once they reach a 1 second GCD, their GCD can't go any lower. Haste continues to have a benefit beyond that point-- it'll increase attack speeds, cast times, and reduce the cooldowns of certain abilities, but its value diminishes.

This is distinct from a hardcap, which is when progress past a certain point simply isn't possible (or provides no further benefit). Crit, for instance, has a functional hardcap at 100%-- once you're critting on every attack, there is no benefit to getting more of it. Similarly, if they decided to make it so that you simply couldn't get higher than 20% crit, then the hardcap would be 20%.

It's also possible for something to have both a softcap and a hardcap. Going back to the crit example above, let's say that they made it so that once you get more than 10% crit, each subsequent point of crit rating provides half of its normal value. You would then have a softcap at 10% and a hardcap at 20%.

Functionally there's no difference between "Increased chance for 4 and no increased chance after" and "reduced chance after 4."