Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Red face Most Americans Don't Want Undocumented Immigrants to Leave

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/m...l-says-n688056

Despite Donald Trump's campaign promise to crack down on illegal immigration, a majority of Americans would like to see undocumented immigrants stay in the country and get a chance to become citizens, according to a new poll from Quinnipiac University.

The response, 60 percent, was the highest since the Quinnipiac poll started asking the question four years ago.

"Though it drew cheers on the campaign trail, the fiery rhetoric about redirecting the path to citizenship in the U.S. back to the Mexican border is actually losing support," Tim Malloy, the poll's assistant director, said in a statement.

Trump has vowed to deport millions of immigrants in the United States illegally, focusing on those with criminal records, and strengthen border security. He has also met with potential Cabinet picks who have espoused anti-immigrant policies, most notably Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who warned last week that no undocumented immigrants would get a "free pass."

But Trump himself hasn't said much since the election about his plans for broader immigration policy. In an interview with the New York Times this week, Trump said he wanted to pass an immigration law "that's fair."

Immigration doesn't appear to be all that important to Americans, according to the poll, which was conducted Nov. 17-20 among 1,071 respondents. The results have a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

Asked what Trump's top priority should be when he takes office in January, only 6 percent of respondents said immigration. The top issue was the economy, with 24 percent naming it as the most important.

Another majority, 55 percent, said they opposed building a wall along the Mexican border, one of Trumps's signature pledges. Forty-two percent said they wanted a wall.

But 50 percent said they supported suspending immigration from "terror prone" regions, even if that meant turning away refugees. Forty-four percent said they opposed doing that.

On the question of what to do with undocumented immigrants living in the United States, the divide was deeper. Sixty percent said they were in favor of allowing them to stay and to eventually apply for citizenship;
    Great to see. Let's hope we can create a path to citizenship sooner than later.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like cheap food.

Gee if only we had come to an agreement on something. A Guide to S.744: Understanding the 2013 Senate Immigration Bill

For people not wanting to open it. There was a section on: Border Security

I always make my point that I support border security and having people enter here legally. What I do not support is xenophobia and both sides never wanting to enforce laws on businesses that hire and demand the cheap labor.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Most Americans weren't going to vote Trump ...according to the same type of polling.

Sorry but the jig is up on this sort of nonsense.

People are realizing how these polls work.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Most Americans weren't going to vote Trump ...according to the same type of polling.

most Americans didn't vote for Trump, so..

Most didn't vote for him. Not even most of the half who bothered to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    The ones who lived in important states did so....

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    Obviously the illegals we let in our country voted for Hillary. Geez!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account

Good, because most Americans didn't end up voting for Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    The ones who lived in important states did so....
    ..important states like Wyoming!

under the electoral college, one Wyomingite has over 4 times the voting power of a Californian

Yes, one thousand people totally represents "most Americans".

Who cares what most Americans want? Let's only listen to the swing states!

I'm sick and tired of people constantly shitting on and shaming America for enforcing its own immigration laws and acting like Americans who want to make sure the law is enforced are a bunch of racists. Look, I don't give a flying fuck who you are or what your nationality is - if you want to immigrate here, do it legally. Don't just sneak in, couch crash, refuse to obey the law, and demand that Congress waves a magic wand and bestows citizenship on you. That's not fucking cool and it doesn't work anywhere else in the world.

Every other country in the world vigorously enforces their own immigration laws and proactively deports anyone not entering the country legally - and they should. But when the United States does it, everyone acts like we're a bunch of fucking racists who hate brown people. You know what? If you're one of those who really thinks that, go fuck yourself on a rusty pole. If you want to come here legally, awesome! Come on in! I'll even go one further and admit that the procedures for immigrating should be made simpler and easier. But the law needs to be fucking enforced. Canada has some pretty strict and draconian immigration rules and procedures and do they get shit for it? No, but we do. Fucking hypocrites, the lot of them.

In speaking of hypocrites, you know who pisses me the fuck off? Mexico. They militantly enforce their southern border while pretending their northern border doesn't exist. They do everything they can to keep out South Americans while acting like it's their right to just waltz into the United States whenever they want and stay there without even bothering with so much as a green card. Fuck those hypocritical assholes; Mexico with its arrogant, hypocritical, two-faced stance on immigration is exactly why I am all for militantly finding and deporting illegal immigrants. Let them come back in legally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Who cares what most Americans want? Let's only listen to the swing states!
    Isn't it funny that states with the most unstable opinion dictate the way the country evolves, while those with the most stable opinion are neglected?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    well polls can be flawed as we saw last election, so I am not sure how much weight I would give to the poll in this statement.

The existence of a law is never a justification for it. Therefore, when people whine about needing to enforce the law, it doesn't give any validity to the law itself. It's a cop out, pushed by someone who doesn't like something, and wants to restrict it. The very same people who want to have strong border restrictions, are the ones who whine about the thought of someone restricting guns. It's the exact same thing, someone wants to ban or restrict something else, all so they can feel safer.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Isn't it funny that states with the most unstable opinion dictate the way the country evolves, while those with the most stable opinion are neglected?
    Or you could argue that the people in the swing states are more moderate when it comes to policies, while people in the solid red/blue states are radicals on opposite sides of the political spectrum, and we should let those with more moderate temperaments decide the way elections go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    Yes, one thousand people totally represents "most Americans".
    This is how polling works fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I'm sick and tired of people constantly shitting on and shaming America for enforcing its own immigration laws and acting like Americans who want to make sure the law is enforced are a bunch of racists. Look, I don't give a flying fuck who you are or what your nationality is - if you want to
    Again, not once during the campaign did I hear (from both parties) about the roll businesses who hire these people. So actually it is pretty much straight xenophobia, when your the argument is one sided. It is easier to make the illegal person the boogey man.

Oh and Trump always mentioned illegals from Mexico. While yes, most illegals come from the south, actually more from other countries than Mexico now. I never once heard of any other nationalities mentioned.

Quiz: If you see a brown dude and white dude walking down the street and you can only ask one for their papers to see if they are here illegally. Who do you ask?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the mentality of people that want Illegal Immigrants to not be deported. They clog the system for ACTUAL immigrants that do it Legally and cost the country millions every year.

Literally every Western Country has strict immigration laws, but the bleeding heart Morons of America just want to throw the gates open and disregard laws that were put in place for a reason.

If you live in a Country with immigration laws and want to allow Illegals to bypass them, you are nothing but a moron.