Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    topkek

Well, thanks for paying for all of this. USA USA USA

- - - Updated - - -

So what country do you think has the power to invade the US?
    Are you that obtuse? There was conditions being discussed..... even your original quote to me revolved things that would make it possible. For fucks sake. Will people like you just read for once instead of arguing just to get post count up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The only liberal I've ever met who wanted to eliminate the military was this one guy who worked at a co-op, and I live in like Pinko Central. This whole "liberals want to leave us defenseless" meme is dumb.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/artic..._security.html

Wow that was just the first link googling that used evidence over the years.

So the ''liberals'' want the US to go without defences by pointing out that multi-billion dollars death machines should hopefully deal more death to the enemy than their crews ?

As for the ''stealing our gunz'' bit, I'm sure Russia and China are shaking in their boots when they see overweight dudes sprouting COD catchphrases while trying to do callisthenics in the woods.

i feel so much safer knowing that ISIS wont be able to kill us from the sea thanks to this boat

Yeah. As, to be blunt, the USA seems to specialize nowadays against fighting countries with rusty Soviet gear from the sixties (one the talking point of your POTUS was specifically to befriend one of the two country that could realistically fight the USA, while antagonizing two of the said countries top allies, but I disgress) at one point, you have to wonder if you really need multi billion dollars ships and bombers to fight ennemies without aircraft and without ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Ironic that liberals want to cut funding to this stuff so we can end up like other countries that get dominated with no military presence. I mean it's even worse they want to take guns away from everyone. You guys literally want to set the US to be invaded without any issues.

I also can't tell. Do liberals not waste money (obviously you can tell they do from just googling liberals) or is it they don't have jobs to be able to waste money?
    Do you actually fear of being invaded if the US cuts lets say 50% of their military funding? My god that brainwashing is working on you brilliantly

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Do you actually fear of being invaded if the US cuts lets say 50% of their military funding? My god that brainwashing is working on you brilliantly
    It just makes logical sense. This isn't rocket science.

Dude, if the people invading the USA are to be stopped by a miltia of overweight dudes with acute mental health problems, why are you spending billions on other stuff ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the thing everyone is forgetting here is that the 4.4 billion dollars didn't just "disappear." That went into the pockets of American companies (Can't exactly outsource secrete military stuff to china.) Those American companies paid their employees good high wages, many of which are UNION folks...

It's not like the money was taken out and burned. It's already back in American pockets.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    The most expensive destroyer ever built for the Navy suffered an engineering problem in the Panama Canal and had to be towed to a berth in Panama.

U.S. Third Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Ryan Perry says a vice admiral has directed the USS Zumwalt to remain at ex-Naval Station Rodman in Panama to address the issues. The ship was built at Bath Iron Works in Maine.

Perry says the timeline for repairs is still being determined and the schedule for the ship will remain flexible to enable testing and evaluation.

The ship is in the midst of transit to a new homeport in San Diego.

The 610-foot-long warship has an angular shape to minimize its radar signature. It cost more than $4.4 billion.

The ship was commissioned in October in Maryland.

Link: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/most...-down-1.440702

It broke down again. It should sail along side with kuznetsov to keep it company.
    In other news, data has come forward that the Wright brothers actually failed to fly several times before getting it right.

It's cutting edge technology, not a fucking Honda.

That moment when I feel like I've seen this thread before...

anyway, for the tenth or eleventh time, the Zumwalt class is probably the most important production military program there is. The technologies at it's core represent the first operational version of what will be seen on all ships going forward. Specifically the system involved in this incenident, it's power generation.

The Zumwalt class' predecessor, the Arleigh Burke Class, has 3x LM2500 Gas turbine engines, each rated at 3MW in the latest version, for a total power output of 9MW. Older ones are closer to 6-7MW. It is possible that you could max out the design's power generation by replacing those turbines with new ones with the same footprint, above 12MW. But that's as good as you'll get. 9MW - 12 MW.

The Zumwalt class by contrast uses an entirely different, hybrid design and produces 78MW worth of usable electricity. And that's a very, very good thing. With that kind of electricity you can have powerful sensors, advanced computers, rail guns, lasers and battery-powered drones. Let's talk a laser that could shoot down a ballistic missile - a long time goal for the navy. You'd need about 20MW of power to do that. The Zumwalt class can do it, right now. The Arleigh Burke class couldn't, even if everything were turned off.

In the late 1970s and 1980s, the US Navy developed, and then rapidly deployed the Aegis Combast system and the distinct (but related) Vertical Launch Tube. Aegis replaced older systems, but the VLS tube had replaced the thirty year old "twin arm" launcher, and the advantages of VLS tubes over Twin Arm launchers became very apparent very quickly.

Twin Arm Launcher: http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURF...uncher-006.jpg

In the 1970s and 1980s the navy launched some advanced ships, such as the advanced and powerful nuclear Virgina Class Cruiser, that were developed independently of the Aegis Combat System and the VLS tubes. When the advantages of VLS and Aegis became clear, some ships in the Navy were retrofitted with them, but most weren't. The Navy very clearly made a choice to go to an all-VLS / all Aegis destroyer/cruiser fleet and those that weren't were retired early.

What we're seeing with Energy Generation is this happening again, a new "disruptive" technology, that as it matures, will act as a diving line. In coming decades, there will be two types of surface ships - those that operate at a huge energy surplus like the Zumwalt, and those that operate at near break-even or negative. The former will be equipped with the most advanced weapons. The latter will not be, or be retired early.

The Goal of the Navy is to replace the current 1970s-2000s fleet that operates at, at best, near break-even power generation, so that the future fleet has ships that can fire those powerful lasers, rail guns or sensors. Take for example, the Ford Class carrier. It produces as much energy as two and a half times a Nimitz class carrier but uses only 40% of it's output. Why the rest is unused? Because one day in the future for this ship that will serve until the 2070s, the Navy would like to put Battery powered drones on the ship. Why battery powered? Because an aircraft that can be juiced up from the ship's reactor won't need the jet fuel logistics limitation, increasing carrier endurance even more.

The technology at the core of the Zumwalt, especially it's power generation system, is strategic technology for the United States. It's the kind of thing that, when fully matured, will give the US Military it's qualitative edge against other countries. The Next class of surface combat ship won't be the Zumwalt (of which only 3 are being built), but will take technology from it. This power generation system is undoubtedly one of those things.

You want numbers and cost effectiveness? That's what got the Zumwalt class order slashed from 26 to 10 to 3 in the first place, in favor of restarting Arleigh Burke class production. Robert Gates made that decision back in 2010, and Burke's are being produced at two a year. And while modern Burke's are certainly better than older ones, they lack the advanced features of the Zumwalt. They likely will not serve a full 30 years either as their successor is introduced that uses Zumwalt tech.

In other words, chuckle all you like, but the fact the United States was even able to produce something like this, compared to what our competitors are doing, says something very promising about the future of US Seapower, especially if Trump gets the 350 ship Navy that should be built.

of course something will go wrong. It is fucking new people. New. this kind of produce, test, fail, try again to progress, improve etc will take us to space. Building reliable f-16s or same old ships over and over again will not improve anything. Then again why people outside usa complains about what usa does with its military spending makes me wonder... why does it bother you? ok the ship had a problem. so?

10+ Year Old Account
    They say Edison has failed over a thousand times, before he had a functional light bulb on his table. Imagine if MMO Champ existed at the time and a thread was created every time he failed to deliver... That would be a spam of the epoch!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    of course something will go wrong. It is fucking new people. New. this kind of produce, test, fail, try again to progress, improve etc will take us to space. Building reliable f-16s or same old ships over and over again will not improve anything. Then again why people outside usa complains about what usa does with its military spending makes me wonder... why does it bother you? ok the ship had a problem. so?
    Because they want it to fail to drag US power down to their levels.

That's all it ever is.

The F-35 was beleagered for years. It was shit talked endlessly. It just did this.
    http://www.defenseone.com/technology...seone_today_nl

n a proof-of-concept experiment, data passed instantly from a Marine Corps fighter allowed a shipboard Aegis system to shoot down a drone.

The F-35 now packs more punch: specifically, the 20-foot Standard Missile, or SM-6, complete with a 140-pound warhead. But not fired from under the wing — rather from a nearby Aegis destroyer.

MOST READ

The F-35B Just Got A Lot Deadlier
    Canada Ditches the F-35 for the Super Hornet — For Now
    The Marines Are Building Robotic War Balls
    Receive daily email updates:
    Subscribe to the Defense One daily.
    Be the first to receive updates.

Enter your email
    Subscribe
    In September, the Marines completed a proof-of-concept test in which a Marine Corps F-35B detected a cruise-missile decoy (a drone), passed targeting information to a remote sensor, and set up a shot by an Aegis combat system of the sort you’ll find on modern destroyers. A battery controlled by the Aegis fired a live SM-6 missile, which took down the drone.

“It was a metal-on-metal engagement from a significant range. I would say more than a tactically significant range. It was a very, very impressive shot to see,” Lt. Col. Richard “BC” Rusnok told reporters aboard the amphibious assault ship America, where the Marines are conducting tests with the vertical-lift F-35B. The test took place at White Sands, New Mexico, aboard the USS Desert Ship facility that the Navy uses for missile tests there.

The process of selecting the target and then launching a missile to take it out was virtually automatic, said Rusnok.

“It’s super simple,” he said. “It’s targeting the way we target our own ship weapons [aboard the F-35]. There’s really no difference. It becomes a battle management issue as to who is going to engage, but the physical pushing of data is transparent to the pilot because the picture is a common picture.”

That pushing takes place over the Ku-band multi-function advanced datalink, or MADL: basically, the same encrypted datalink that stealth aircraft use to speak to one another while maintaining apparent radio silence.

The test shows that the F-35 has effectively become a lot more dangerous (so long as the datalinks are working.) Imagine you’re a radar operator in a country that has just declared war on the United States. Your country has been moving missiles and radars around on the ground, hoping to dodge American satellite cameras before you can get your shots off. You hear a whoosh overhead, a squadron of F-35s electronically surveying the landscape for appropriate targets to take out, and behind them, huge SM-6 missiles are flying at supersonic speeds to hit those targets. The F-35 has become a sort of fighter bomber hybrid.

“Aegis cruisers bring a weapons payload that you just couldn’t fit on an airplane. We’re talking about dozens and dozens of Standard Missiles, SM-6s, that can be targeted by airborne platforms at a much longer distance,” said Col. George “Sack” Rowell.
    No other fighter in the world can do this. It only took a decade and $150 billion to make it happen, but there... it happened.

RIP A2/AD. Better luck next time Russians. F-35 is fine. Zumwalt will be fine. Up next, the Ford class will be fine.

But brace yourself for the B-21 Raider to be turned into a PR Boondoggle before it meets and exceeds expectations as well. Because this is exactly how this works. Hopefully it is in the black long enough to enter service before that happens though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    How many kids you put in college with 4.4 billions? Ohh i forgot, the Russians / Japanese / Martians are coming right?
    Also, originally estimated 50k per ammo, now its 800k cant afford its own ammo.

We are talking about some Nobel magnitude retarded crap right here.
    The high cost of the ships and the rounds is because of the cut-back to only 3 ships for the class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    and this USS Zumwalt is send to San Diego. to shoot at what, mexican drug boats ? totally worth the 4 billions, i say
    San Diego is the main port for the 3rd Fleet, which provides most of the ships used in the Pacific and Indian oceans. Its main purpose will be to provide fire support to operations in the South China Sea, as it was intended to operate in the littorals.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post

San Diego is the main port for the 3rd Fleet, which provides most of the ships used in the Pacific and Indian oceans. Its main purpose will be to provide fire support to operations in the South China Sea, as it was intended to operate in the littorals.
    Wouldnt Pearl Harbour be a more logical position for such target areas ?

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of thing is nothing new. Hello, USS Thresher. That was even worse and it didn't cause us to rethink the viability of attack submarines.

- - - Updated - - -

Pearl isn't the more logical position. That base is like a museum compared to San Diego. It's also too remote.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Pearl is located too far from the CONUS and too small to base the bulk of the fleet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You mean, it broke down like so many new military projects? Who would have thought something quite unique and the first of it's kind and thus never used before might have issues!
    /s
    lol, Sweden had 2 stealth ships at least 4 years before Zumwalt and they work just fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    lol, Sweden had 2 stealth ships at least 4 years before Zumwalt and they work just fine.
    These are the same people who make silly comments about the armata tank n other Rus stuff, but when their own stuff gets some problem then it's always minor problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Sure, you don't need 4.4 billion (again, thanks to the order size reduction and the ship built with cutting edge tech, but sure, yeah, let's forget how much R&D costs, or how much of the stuff military makes finds it way to civilian market). How exactly do you think USA will keep the dominant role? Be the only superpower? Have the economic leverage? By building subpar things, letting the, eee, "friends" catch up?
    This is why you are not in military.

The world DOESN'T work that way, that you can give all the money to healthcare or education and ignore verything else. Very common mistake people make aka "If I would rule, I would give everything to that or that or that". No, it does not work that way. Everyone needs the money and you HAVE to split it. No buts or ifs.
    If we can piss away a trillion on a stimulus package that didn't stimulate a damn thing then we can afford $4 billion on advancing naval design.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN