Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I think it takes a big lack of empathy to find humour in people who are terrified and have absolutely no idea where the next four years will leave them, or what rights they'll still have at the end of Trump's presidency. These people are loathsome? Seems to me they're just trying to live.
    I suppose there are multiple different reasons people are crying.

- For those that are ignorant and crying because their leftist friends have told them horrible things will happen, I actually do have some empathy, but the blame there isn't on the mean ol' Republicans, it's on leftists that have insisted on telling people that they'll be literally killed if Trump wins. I would very much appreciate it if Democrats would stop frightening poorly educated, emotionally unstable people.

- For people that fear deportation, I feel a jot of empathy, but mostly think, "tough shit". This is an outcome that these people should have known was on the table when they willfully broke American immigration laws. That they've been breaking these laws for a long time and getting away with it doesn't increase my empathy.

- Finally, the group that I'm actually laughing at are those with no real skin in the game who are mostly crying because of the sting of losing. These are the privileged academics in their sinecures who will go right on making six figures as diversity coordinators, the sort of people that describe themselves as "literally shaking with rage". Their ridiculous performance of showing how virtuously righteous they are is worth rolling eyes at and is pretty amusing when looked dispassionately.

This final group is, in fact, pretty loathsome in my views. The world is all about "who, whom?" for them and the thing they're most upset about is that they don't get to be the ones deciding the whom for a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I remember when many people on here (who are fine with Trump doing it) were upset with Hillary over changing her mind from stuff from 20 years ago.

Its because they support the person, not the policies. Policies are irrelevant when you're just mad at tumblr and 5-15 on average students at any college.
    I'm not bothered by someone changing policy over time.

What's offensive about certain Hillary shifts is the raging hypocrisy associated with it. It's fine by me that she's shifted in favor of gay rights, what's absurd is that a position that she held only a few years ago is now regarded as an almost incomprehensible level of bigotry. Doesn't that seem a bit absurd? The zeitgeist shifts left and if you don't shift fast enough, you're an asshole? I'm less inclined to impugn people on such grounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I suppose there are multiple different reasons people are crying.

- For those that are ignorant and crying because their leftist friends have told them horrible things will happen, I actually do have some empathy, but the blame there isn't on the mean ol' Republicans, it's on leftists that have insisted on telling people that they'll be literally killed if Trump wins. I would very much appreciate it if Democrats would stop frightening poorly educated, emotionally unstable people.

- For people that fear deportation, I feel a jot of empathy, but mostly think, "tough shit". This is an outcome that these people should have known was on the table when they willfully broke American immigration laws. That they've been breaking these laws for a long time and getting away with it doesn't increase my empathy.

- Finally, the group that I'm actually laughing at are those with no real skin in the game who are mostly crying because of the sting of losing. These are the privileged academics in their sinecures who will go right on making six figures as diversity coordinators, the sort of people that describe themselves as "literally shaking with rage". Their ridiculous performance of showing how virtuously righteous they are is worth rolling eyes at and is pretty amusing when looked dispassionately.

This final group is, in fact, pretty loathsome in my views. The world is all about "who, whom?" for them and the thing they're most upset about is that they don't get to be the ones deciding the whom for a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not bothered by someone changing policy over time.

What's offensive about certain Hillary shifts is the raging hypocrisy associated with it. It's fine by me that she's shifted in favor of gay rights, what's absurd is that a position that she held only a few years ago is now regarded as an almost incomprehensible level of bigotry. Doesn't that seem a bit absurd? The zeitgeist shifts left and if you don't shift fast enough, you're an asshole? I'm less inclined to impugn people on such grounds.
    What? Few years ago and youre upset? Trump just shifted all his policies as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    15 Trump Flip-Flops in 15 Days

(a) Trump is a phony and hypocritical liar that has betrayed his supporters with his rampant flip-flopping.

(b) I'm glad that Trump has flip-flopped because I didn't agree with his previous policy but supported him anyway.

(c) It doesn't matter that Trump flip-flops because policy doesn't matter, I just like and trust him.

(d) I believe Trump is a bullshitter who made wild promises that cannot be met so his flip-flops are inevitable because he's now being mugged by reality.

(e) I've been duped and conned by Trump's flip-flops.

(f) Something else?

A politician waffling on their campaign points? How new and exciting...
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

What perplexes me is, did anybody actually vote for Trump because they thought that his ideas would be good for the country? Or was it all just a matter of lol PC SJW betacuck tears?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    A politician waffling on their campaign points? How new and exciting...
    Bu....but Trumpy was an outsider! Everyone currently defending him now told me so!
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...hecks-hillary/
    http://newsninja2012.com/back-in-201...y-in-campaign/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    What perplexes me is, did anybody actually vote for Trump because they thought that his ideas would be good for the country? Or was it all just a matter of lol PC SJW betacuck tears?
    Honestly I think it was out of anger at Tumblr and 5-15 college kids on average per campus. Kinda funny if you ask me.

What? Few years ago and youre upset? Trump just shifted all his policies as of yesterday.
    I'm not upset about anything. What I'm saying people object to is the hypocrisy of labeling people that don't support gay marriage "bigots" when this was a position held by nearly all powerful Democrats only a few years ago. The idea that objective standards can shift that much in a few years is pretty obviously absurd. Changing positions is fine - changing positions and then saying that everyone who hasn't also changed is a bigot is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Most voters were likely motivated by the same issues that cause them to vote Republican in general with some possible additional emphasis on immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not upset about anything. What I'm saying people object to is the hypocrisy of labeling people that don't support gay marriage "bigots" when this was a position held by nearly all powerful Democrats only a few years ago. The idea that objective standards can shift that much in a few years is pretty obviously absurd. Changing positions is fine - changing positions and then saying that everyone who hasn't also changed is a bigot is ridiculous.
    stay off the internet if you are tired of reading buzz words. I know plenty of people who believe in "traditional" marriage and no one calls them a bigot, not even behind their back... and I work in law! Shit gets real when backs are turned. Maybe it has more to do with those individuals not being actively against it due to arbitrary reasons.

Trump just rages and makes irrational, insanely stupid commentary and never knows what he's going to say next, or even WHAT he's saying AS he says it. He's basically a giant idiot.

Is any of what he's done a real surprise?

It's no wonder he's so popular since his behavior is basically how more and more people are acting.
    He validates them by making them feel like that behavior is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Ah, the old 'but the other one is worse' argument. It has come a long way since the good old 'wedgies vs beatings' debate on schoolyards.
    That was the position for most people voting for trump..

He's a cunt, but atleast he is not hillary.

It's like choosing between getting aids or cancer.

stay off the internet if you are tired of reading buzz words. I know plenty of people who believe in "traditional" marriage and no one calls them a bigot, not even behind their back... and I work in law! Shit gets real when backs are turned. Maybe it has more to do with those individuals not being actively against it due to arbitrary reasons.
    I don't think "it's just on the internet" is a valid explanation at all. In sufficiently liberal enclaves, people like Brendan Eich lose their jobs for holding the positions that were considered acceptable by pretty much everyone a few years ago.

The exit polls tell us one sure thing: Voters wanted change
    Not perplexing at all...

Most voters were likely motivated by the same issues that cause them to vote Republican in general with some possible additional emphasis on immigration.
    So, pretty much no right? Because for the past eight years the Republican party has had about as solid a plan toward governing as the underpants gnomes, which is downright thorough and thought out compared to what Trump brings to the table. Sure, this idea that we're suddenly going to turn into Nazi Germany is silly, but on some level, competent leadership is required to keep the entire system running smoothly so that Americans can continue on living in safety and prosperity. You can't just put whoever the fuck you want in charge and expect that everything's gonna be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How exactly is Trump going to change anything? He's not gonna build the wall, and he's already backed off draining the swamp. He might try and renegotiate some trade deals, but it's much more likely that he'd sell us all out for the right to build some hotels in Shanghai (blind trust FTW!). And yeah, maybe he'll try to normalize relations with Russia, but once again, that would benefit them massively and not really do a whole lot for us.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2016-11-25 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think "it's just on the internet" is a valid explanation at all. In sufficiently liberal enclaves, people like Brendan Eich lose their jobs for holding the positions that were considered acceptable by pretty much everyone a few years ago.
    Alright? People boycotted and the company didnt want the publicity or money loss. The world changes a lot faster now thanks to the interwebz. People are very much in favor of gay marriage rights..... I mean its not like it actually did anything bad to the US since it was enacted.

- - - Updated - - -

boy oh boy, if they wanted change, they got duped. Trump's been an insider for a very long time.

Alright? People boycotted and the company didnt want the publicity or money loss. The world changes a lot faster now thanks to the interwebz. People are very much in favor of gay marriage rights..... I mean its not like it actually did anything bad to the US since it was enacted.
    No shit. I'm aware of what happened. I'm telling you that this is the hypocrisy that bothers people - it's not the changing of positions, it's the memory-holing of what was acceptable a few years ago and the absurdity of something going from perfectly fine to obviously bigoted.

Trumpsters.....................

Trumpsters.....................................

The fuck is wrong with people.

10+ Year Old Account
    No shit. I'm aware of what happened. I'm telling you that this is the hypocrisy that bothers people - it's not the changing of positions, it's the memory-holing of what was acceptable a few years ago and the absurdity of something going from perfectly fine to obviously bigoted.
    And was anyone fried from Chik fil a?

Welcome to reality. It was okay to beat a black person for using a white fountain on year, but not the next year. (More extreme example)

Lets look at evolution in schools. It was perfectly fine to think creationism was okay to teach in schools, now many think its not. "But it used to be!" is not an argument

What about that duck dynasty crap? That guy was pulled off the air for a week because the company didnt want to deal with any of the publicity, but people wanted their reality show back, so they put him back. He said anti gay stuff.

All that matters to companies is money.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2016-11-25 at 02:45 PM.

boy oh boy, if they wanted change, they got duped. Trump's been an insider for a very long time.
    So has Clinton...
    The difference is the outside money. Clinton was beholden to just about everyone for their support, where as Trump was given zero support from the establishment...the GOP, Wall Street...There is almost no strings attached to him. A double-edged sword perhaps...Time will tell.

At this point there are two priorities that look well-established for his admin to jump on; Repealing Obamacare; and Tariffs on business products that went to Mexico.

So has Clinton...
    The difference is the outside money. Clinton was beholden to just about everyone for their support, where as Trump was given zero support from the establishment...the GOP, Wall Street...There is almost no strings attached to him. A double-edged sword perhaps...Time will tell.

At this point there are two priorities that look well-established for his admin to jump on; Repealing Obamacare; and Tariffs on business products that went to Mexico.
    Trump said he was going to keep coverage for pre-existing conditions, and is likely to only go after the individual mandate. Now, let's think this through for a second - insurance companies still have to cover sick people, while healthy people won't be compelled to buy insurance if they don't want to, what do you think will happen to premiums?

10+ Year Old Account
    So has Clinton...

Oh boy, cant wait to see the result of this.

And was anyone fried from Chik fil a?

Welcome to reality. It was okay to beat a black person for using a white fountain on year, but not the next year. (More extreme example)

Lets look at evolution in schools. It was perfectly fine to think creationism was okay to teach in schools, now many think its not. "But it used to be!" is not an argument

What about that duck dynasty crap? That guy was pulled off the air for a week because the company didnt want to deal with any of the publicity, but people wanted their reality show back, so they put him back. He said anti gay stuff.

All that matters to companies is money.
    Holy shit, it's amazing how hard you'd have to work to not get this. Things changing is fine. What's not great is telling people that think the thing that was acceptable roughly yesterday that they're stupid bigots for not changing fast enough.

The whataboutism is tiresome as well.