Windfury animation

when and why was it changed from that tornado thing around us into this swirly ball thing.

i haven't played my shammy since tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    when and why was it changed from that tornado thing around us into this swirly ball thing.

i haven't played my shammy since tbc
    was changed at legion pre patch into a larger whirlwind. why? to look more like wind and less like black smoke i guess

We're a spectacle visually so I assume it was done to tone it down a bit. It probably triggers more often than in the past as well so I guess it would feel a bit spammy.
    Not sure when it was changed since this is my first time as enhance since Wrath.

damn, really miss the animation, it felt like a true wf proc

I know sometime during BC the original WF animation changed, drastically... but when I left for my break right before 6.2 came out in wod it was still the same as the butchered version they made it during BC. So I have to say when the legion pre-patch hit (I didnt come back until the right of legions release) to find it different... Yeah if I had a say, I would go back to the most recent WF proc animation (since i know its obvious we wouldnt be able to get the original one back) and really tone down the stupid Stormlash animation...

Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    We're a spectacle visually so I assume it was done to tone it down a bit.
    This is false. Spells have 2 different visual effects levels. When you proc it, you see a souped up version that has a lot of flashy visual effects. If someone else procs something, what you see is visually toned down. There is an agility tornado trinket that procs tornadoes around you, but other people won't see the tornadoes.

I know, but I wasn't talking about what others can see.

10+ Year Old Account
    The animation seems to be less visible just as the amount of damage it does became less visible on the meter is my guess. I miss when Windfury was the core of enhancement
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...kywall/rotomon
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and people's stupidity - though I am not entirely sure about the universe". -Albert Einstein

Yeah that was my point that it procs so often now that we'd have periods were we'd be a walking tornado with the old animation.
    I liked the old WF because you could actually notice when it triggered, but triggering more often smoothes out rng I guess, and we're bursty enough as it is.

I quite liked the vanilla animation. Never really been a big fan of the black tornado they introduced in TBC. I mean, it was nice that you could see when it procced, but it was very messy in your screen.

The legion animation isn't as noticeable (though if you know what to look for it's still pretty obvious), but at least it's very clean.

As for windfury itself. The old one was great fun, especially since you could pretty much one shot someone with a good WF proc. But it wouldn't fit in today's version of WoW. In a balanced game it would be too much RNG to enjoy really. I mean we're already complaining about the RNG of Stormbringer, let alone what windfury would look like if it went back to being 50-60% of our DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    As for windfury itself. The old one was great fun, especially since you could pretty much one shot someone with a good WF proc. But it wouldn't fit in today's version of WoW.
    Isnt this the reason they went away from us using WF/WF to WF/FT? Its always made me spite wows 'cc warz' cause pve (across all classes) was getting perfectly fine/great things nerfed or removed for stupid pvp balance. Why I'm SO happy they finally got smart and made pve/pvp talents and stats different(something I had lobbied for what seemed like years)... Besides that I never got to play a shammy in vanilla cause we wernt blessed with them untill BC

Quote Originally Posted by Zinip View Post
    Isnt this the reason they went away from us using WF/WF to WF/FT? Its always made me spite wows 'cc warz' cause pve (across all classes) was getting perfectly fine/great things nerfed or removed for stupid pvp balance. Why I'm SO happy they finally got smart and made pve/pvp talents and stats different(something I had lobbied for what seemed like years)... Besides that I never got to play a shammy in vanilla cause we wernt blessed with them untill BC
    Well not really.... back in vanilla Enhancers used 2H's, so WF with a 2H was pretty bursty. There was a time where it could trigger off itself (like stormbringer can now), and that was pretty OP so they nerfed it and gave WF an internal cd of like 3 sec.

In wotlk they made us DW and gave us LL and stuff, trying to make DW the way to go. As for imbues, WF/FT is what they wanted us to use and for the most part it was usually the best combo, tho there were times where other combos could be better. For a while FT/FT with a caster weapon was doing high DPS but they nerfed it. Then WF/WF was popular at one point also, mainly cause it proc'd alot which caused more maelstrom weapon procs so more LB damage.... but there was a downside since we still had the icd so your OH would "waste" the WF proc which you wanted for your MH since it did more damage. They did stuff like make FT give you more spell damage as well as buff LL damage to make it the obvious choice for your OH.... and WF for your MH.

I kinda liked how we could switch up our imbues, esp the OH.... using FT for PVE, FB for PVP.... and ofcourse rockbiter, which was only used early on for leveling or real niche situations since it reduced damage taken plus the unleash effect was a taunt which was pretty interesting but not many uses.... would have loved to be able to tank or OT with it but we didn't have many other abilities to support it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would make a glyph to return it to its former glory

Ok, I knew vanilla Enh shammys used 2Hs, but I didnt realize the lvl 40 dual wield talent wasnt added untill BC (cause again I didnt get shaman untill BC). So I learned something today which I appreciate But I did know that the internal CD to WF was added in BC (to help the 1shotting in pvp) and the change to WF/FT happened in wotlk. I forgot about the times of great debate of which was best (WF/WF, or FT/FT with the fast/caster OH) until blizz made it to slow/slow WF/FT. Thanks for reminding me, brought up a lot of good and somewhat aggervating memories lol

Man this is making me miss real talent trees so much more!! :"( I use to love the concept of bleeding over into elemental for more ele dmg. Imo it really solidified the whole melee caster, red/combat/battle mage mentality.

And yeah making a glyph for it would be amazing! The ghost raptor was kinda cool at first but got old real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerto View Post
    I wish they would make a glyph to return it to its former glory
    That would be cool... there is alot of cosmetic stuff they should add with glyphs. I think the old wf animation was actually reused but now WW monks have it for one of their abilities, can't remember which one tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinip View Post
    Ok, I knew vanilla Enh shammys used 2Hs, but I didnt realize the lvl 40 dual wield talent wasnt added untill BC (cause again I didnt get shaman untill BC). So I learned something today which I appreciate But I did know that the internal CD to WF was added in BC (to help the 1shotting in pvp) and the change to WF/FT happened in wotlk. I forgot about the times of great debate of which was best (WF/WF, or FT/FT with the fast/caster OH) until blizz made it to slow/slow WF/FT. Thanks for reminding me, brought up a lot of good and somewhat aggervating memories lol

Man this is making me miss real talent trees so much more!! :"( I use to love the concept of bleeding over into elemental for more ele dmg. Imo it really solidified the whole melee caster, red/combat/battle mage mentality.

And yeah making a glyph for it would be amazing! The ghost raptor was kinda cool at first but got old real fast.
    Sure np, it was a nice look at the past for me too. I liked mixing up specs too, could subspec Elem for more spell damage or shorter shock CD.... or go Resto for better offheals and support. Really brought out the hybrid aspect of our class. I like the new talents too tho, just wish it wasn't so "cookie cutter" right now and the other talents were more useful.