Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why call a "hard cap" "soft cap" ?

Oh wait I know, because it does not sound as bad as hard cap.

It's like the difference between being softly trolled and never noticing it or being hard trolled.

But hey let's talk about how soft was that cap.

Thanks blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post

It's like the difference between being softly trolled and never noticing it or being hard trolled.

Thanks blizzard.
    Because it was possible to get 5th legendary but it required extraordinary luck.

Hard cap would mean that there was no chance of getting it. Completely 0.

Soft cap = players have chance even if its 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Deleted

Thanks blizzard.
    Technically it wasn't a hard cap. That said, the vast majority of players would never get all of them until it was changed. It got changed though, so no point in continuing this, is there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Because anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between a soft cap and a hard cap

Oh.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Because by definition a hardcap would mean literally 0% chance whereas soft cap is not. But obviously you already know this so whatever attention you are trying to get I guess you got it

Because it was no hard cap? :s

Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    Technically it wasn't a hard cap. That said, the vast majority of players would never get all of them until it was changed. It got changed though, so no point in continuing this, is there?
    If it was possible why none of thoses people running hundreds if not thousands of mythic+ dungeons ever got their 5th legendary?

If it was possible why none of thoses people running hundreds if not thousands of mythic+ dungeons ever got their 5th legendary?
    You could still get a legendary after the 4th one, the chance just didn't increase after each time you could've gotten one but didn't.

Are you intentionally trying to stir things up or something? This thread is pointless.

Deleted
    Some people in this forum got 18+ legendaries as poll showed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see the source/quote that shows that 'no one at all' got a 5th legendary before the change.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I've seen couple players reporting getting 5 legendaries after the bug was fixed and before bug they had 0. Pretty much same was at the launch of legion. Run hundreds of heroic dungeons and normal mythics and some players got their first and could start benefiting from bug while i had 0.

Situation was same now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    Because it was possible to get 5th legendary but it required extraordinary luck.

Hard cap would mean that there was no chance of getting it. Completely 0.

Soft cap = players have chance even if its 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
    This. A hard cap is a baked-in, numerical impossibility. For example, Garrosh's health pool reset every phase in Siege of Orgrimmar's final encounter because health pools had hit the game's hard cap. You cannot level past 110 because the game has a hard cap on how many levels your character can attain. You can't equip more than one legendary without the Order Hall bonus because there is a hard cap on how many the game will let you wear.

Legion legendaries had a soft-cap baked in because, while you lost the bad luck protection after your fourth, the potential still existed for you to get a fifth, sixth, on up until you had every legendary available to your class. What made it a soft-cap is the extremely low probability of getting another one after losing the bad-luck protection. Other famous soft caps from the game's early history are Defense and Hit, where you would stop gearing for those stats after a certain point because they no longer offered enough benefit past the soft cap to make it worth specifically gearing into. That's the difference between a soft cap and a hard cap--one is a matter of efficiency and return on investment, one is a straight-up numerical limit.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Plenty people have 5th legendarys, you're an idiot. Theres 2 people in my guild with 5

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is a difference there...

Hard cap is definite. If there were a hard cap on the 4 legendary limit, then getting a 5th would be impossible.

The soft cap comes from the fact that a 5th is still possible, they just aren't going to help you out by progressively increasing the chances of one dropping.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    This is factually incorrect, some people have indeed gotten more than 4 legendaries. Which is precisely the point, if it were a hard cap then nobody would be able to obtain a legendary after getting their 4th.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-11-26 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Because there's no bad luck protection after the 4th legendary genius, so even if you run 2 million mythic+ dungeons then your chance will forever be 0.0001% compared to 3%.

Even then, i know of two people who have 5 and 7 legendaries after the hotfix to increased chance when you had one was put in.

Do you know that for certain ?
    No.
    The noise from complaints on forums has rarely been representative of the actual number of players affected.

I saw players mention they had more than 4.
    I saw players mention they hadn't had 1 even.
    I saw both ends, and everything in-between.
    But those not being favored by random are the ones who are going to complain and therefore yell the loudest about it.

There is a difference between a hard cap and a soft cap.
    One is a fixed upper limit.
    One is just a likely upper limit.

Is there any ACTUAL proof that players were not getting more than 4, or was it just based on you and your 'friends' not getting more than 4.
    With dismissal of anyone saying they did as lying.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-11-26 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks blizzard.
    I would join your rant if it made any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disappointing to see how some super simple concepts are lost on people...
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥