Thread: Shadow in 7.1.5

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiptopmemer View Post
    CoP isnt shadow priest, if you want to play what you're describing play a warlock.
    It was a spriest thing for years, longer than killing ourselves as part of our rotation has been anyway. Self-harm is more of a lock thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    It was a spriest thing for years, longer than killing ourselves as part of our rotation has been anyway. Self-harm is more of a lock thing.
    I do love it when noobies come along.

Shadow Word Death

Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
    Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer inflicts damage on the caster if the target is not killed by the spell.

Not that your point was rational anyway.

My point is that CoP was not shadowpriest.

For as long as this game has existed, shadow priest has been,
    Maintain your dot(s) up on the target, rotate your other spells.
    But then they added a class trinket that made this 1 niche spec viable that no long time spriest liked.

The only time Shadow Word: Death actually proved to be a threat to your own life is during Madness of Deathwing, before you picked up the set bonus that vastly reduced the backlash damage. Other than that, it was a healer tax.

I do love it when noobies come along.

Shadow Word Death

Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
    Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer inflicts damage on the caster if the target is not killed by the spell.

Not that your point was rational anyway.

My point is that CoP was not shadowpriest.

For as long as this game has existed, shadow priest has been,
    Maintain your dot(s) up on the target, rotate your other spells.
    But then they added a class trinket that made this 1 niche spec viable that no long time spriest liked.
    Could not agree with you anymore.

I don't remember them having class trinkets during Highmaul

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerjompa View Post
    I don't remember them having class trinkets during Highmaul
    CoP wasnt mandatory in highmaul, but when HFC rolled around the class trinket forced everyone to spec CoP.

CoP wasnt mandatory in highmaul, but when HFC rolled around the class trinket forced everyone to spec CoP.
    CoP was mandatory in highmaul due to no crit gear, during early HFC progression and even some bosses on farm AS was better because you were able to reach the crit needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    The only time Shadow Word: Death actually proved to be a threat to your own life is during Madness of Deathwing, before you picked up the set bonus that vastly reduced the backlash damage. Other than that, it was a healer tax.
    That reminds me something . There was a week during WotLK (when Shadow Word: Death still did damage to us) - Blizzard introduced a glyph that didn't trigger cooldown if you hit a target which was under 15% )). I have to admit, maniacally mashing the SW button and watching if healers can keep up was the best WoW week I've ever had .

The only time that CoP was actually mandatory for the entire lifespan of a raid was Highmaul. With BRF gear, you could get away with playing AS on every single fight although on some fights you'd have to rely on good/above average rng in order to beat CoP. Initially during Hellfire Citadel progress, everyone played AS on almost every single fight apart from the single target fights where you'd still use CoP in combination with the class trinket (since target swapping with the trinket was considered poor back then, there were people that refrained from using the trinket on Iron Reaver/Kormrok). It wasn't until the Valor upgrades and buffs to shadow (read: buffs to CoP) that people started playing CoP with the class trinket on almost every single fight, which was quite a while after the raid had already been released.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harb View Post
    That reminds me something . There was a week during WotLK (when Shadow Word: Death still did damage to us) - Blizzard introduced a glyph that didn't trigger cooldown if you hit a target which was under 15% )). I have to admit, maniacally mashing the SW button and watching if healers can keep up was the best WoW week I've ever had .
    I think this was the cata pre-patch, when SWD first got buffed to something that you would actually bother to keybind in pve. When you got into execute, SWD started doing huge damage on pretty much no cooldown but still did 100% backlash damage. I used to go "healers, you might wanna start healing me a lot now" on TS and start spamming it. It was pretty risky on Anub.

it's frustrating to me because the solution seems so obvious: replace LotV with a talent that combines lingering insanity and voidlord, cause the mind spike explosion to spread DoTs (instead of what they're currently doing with mind sear), and replace the current voidlord talent with shadow mania from the pvp tree. Tune numbers to taste and boom, now you have three distinct-feeling styles of gameplay

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    it's frustrating to me because the solution seems so obvious: replace LotV with a talent that combines lingering insanity and voidlord, cause the mind spike explosion to spread DoTs (instead of what they're currently doing with mind sear), and replace the current voidlord talent with shadow mania from the pvp tree. Tune numbers to taste and boom, now you have three distinct-feeling styles of gameplay
    Problem is mania is not good at all but is in the pve tier.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Problem is mania is not good at all but is in the pve tier.
    Whats interesting, in the ptr we're having a lot more insanity coming in and little time outside of VF that in itself made it slightly more viable. Not only that but it got buffed. The change is very noticeable in the ptr. I still don't think its gonna be popular but it does have its benefits. Especially combined with the free casting legendary and not having to waste a global on the shield. Basically you can pump out a few extra thousand dps with this vs body and soul. Just putting it out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if what you say is correct (Not on ptr) mania caps at +33% at 99 inanity, that is not maintainable for dps sake, however if insanity shoots up as roughly as fast as my current assumption (roughly 50% faster without lingering) It shouldn't be too far out there to say the average movement of mania would be roughly a third to half of max being +11%~+16%(rounded down) which doesn't seem too bad and might actually be useful in fights that have very little stand still times probly to the point of a gcd can't be used on B&S or where B&S would have to be used so often it would oom us (since they murdered us with the mana cost nerf).

Still seems very niche overall though and personally would of rather of seen a stronger version of B&S but self only be in that slot instead. (even if it was a new button called "shadowy sprint").

Also I am hopping that mindspike gets replaced with Oblivion (instant 2min CD, gain 100 insanity) and LoTv still has a buff coming.
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

I wasn't actually talking about the movement mania from the 30 row, I was talking about replacing void lord with Shadow Mania from the honor talent tree (maybe without the 50% healing attached)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    I wasn't actually talking about the movement mania from the 30 row, I was talking about replacing void lord with Shadow Mania from the honor talent tree (maybe without the 50% healing attached)
    Shadow Mania is too much in pve. We'll be swimming in insanity.

Most of the PvP talents are far too good for PvE, to be fair.

Oh how great would it be if they just remove Legacy of the Void, move San'layn on its place and combine it with Shadow Mania.

Deleted
    There are so many changes on the PTR and it all seems unnecessary to me. I understand our damage in the last 2m of a boss fight needs to be nerfed, and we would like more options on the bottom tier of talents. But the rest of shadow is totally fine atm.

Change MH to 1% - Prevents crazy execute dps, getting to 3rd Vtorrent is still rewarding thou. This would make mastery a trash stat for us though, but ...

Add MFlay and Msear to spells affected by mastery - Buffs aoe damage, out of Vform damage, and makes mastery useful still. Of course all the numbers can be played with.

Maybe I am totally wrong, thoughts?
    Last edited by mmoce6cdec159e; 2016-11-26 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobbly View Post
    Change MH to 1% - Prevents crazy execute dps, getting to 3rd Vtorrent is still rewarding thou. This would make mastery a trash stat for us though, but ...
    this please. holy fuck does surrender feel like the shittiest fucking spell right now in the PTR. they shouldn't have fucked with the insanity generation and i would take a smaller MH cap any day over what they did. getting 3 void torrents out of surrender is a reward for taking the time to actually practice and now it's hit the 2nd void torrent and call it a day. don't even need to manage insanity for that shit you can just mongo through it with PI