Thread: Nasty WoWhead?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varjo410 View Post
    Using uBlock and uMatrix, haven't really noticed anything. But that could just be me not paying attention.
    I use ublock too but my net is slow enough that its actually taking forever to load. Posts in that bnet thread are saying its trying to upload a lot of data, and lord knows I have no upload speed to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Its the people behind it, their response has been essentially, we will bombard you with malicious adds untill you pay the premium cost.

If that is not indicative of their business ethics, I dont know what is.
    its sad that the number 1 website turned so bad. i remember years ago wowhead would load instantly without a second of loading bullshit ads.

WoWheads days are numbered

As more and more turn to addblock and as WoWs popularity declines they are milking the cow till the udders burst into flames with these underhanded sleazy add revenue tactics.

Along those veins,
    @chaud might be about time to promote WoWDB some more depends on this pans out. Obviously we don't need to start any sort of Wowhead vs MMOC thing right now and the main thing WoWDB lacks is users commenting which is quite valuable but that'll take some time. Odds are Wowhead/ZAM Network will fix this though since the communitys starting to get very vocal
    @rest of the thread - try out wowdb http://www.wowdb.com/

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Its things like this that make people get more/better adblockers. As much as i understand that sites need revenue to function, they need to understand that you cant make a profit off people without delivering a safe and proper product. When phones catch fire or cars have faulty airbags theyre recalled, but when a virus/malware/whatever gets spread through ads, sites dont take responsibility. Theres entire sites built around clickbait articles posted on social media for the sole purpose of showing ads to people. No one wants to walk through such a swamp without protection.

Thanks for the tips about uBlock Origin, ill get that one myself as well. Currently only using Adblock Plus but its not as good as i'd like

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phriah View Post
    WowDB (which is also owned by curse aka the owners of mmochamp now) has a lot of the same features as wowhead.
    just lacks the community to post comments on things like quests that wowhead has
    and thus - as I said before - is totally point- and useless cause its the comments that have make sites like thotbot/wowhead great.

Quote Originally Posted by Syld View Post
    Wowhead has been infested with bad ads for years, you think they would do something about it when they are supported by Blizzard, but maybe they don't care at all...
    WoWhead hacked my account. Don't go there anymore.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Its the people behind it, their response has been essentially, we will bombard you with malicious adds untill you pay the premium cost.

If that is not indicative of their business ethics, I dont know what is.
    To be fair, this is exactly why they're getting so frustrated.

Because that's not what was said at all. Even going through Tradechat's tweets, she specifically says "they're trying, but the tech people are just getting back from vacation". She did happen to mention the sub, yes, for people who are insisting they need to use it now rather than wait it out.

Granted, people seem to be saying this has been an ongoing issue, but I'm assuming it just got worse recently since only now it's a huge issue rather than a passing complaint.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Ads have nothing to do with how shitty Wowhead turned in the last 1-2 years
    so true, people like this retard Panser are the ones ruining wowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Because that's not what was said at all. Even going through Tradechat's tweets, she specifically says "they're trying, but the tech people are just getting back from vacation". She did happen to mention the sub, yes, for people who are insisting they need to use it now rather than wait it out.

Granted, people seem to be saying this has been an ongoing issue, but I'm assuming it just got worse recently since only now it's a huge issue rather than a passing complaint.
    She's been pretending she doesn't represent WoWhead now that it doesn't suit her - when officially she does and it even says so on her twitter. She's having a pissing contest with people, and pretending their ads aren't completely terrible and they 'need' it to function.

What they evidently 'need' is a more enticing subscription model rather than IF YOU DON'T SUBSCRIBE WE WILL GIVE YOUR COMPUTER CANCER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    and thus - as I said before - is totally point- and useless cause its the comments that have make sites like thotbot/wowhead great.
    I'm not sure if this would get MMOC in legal trouble or not, but I wonder if like, they did a crawl on Wowheads comments for every page and reposting them fully complete with timestamps and what not (and indicative of a legacy/imported comment)

I know Wowpedia and Wowwiki have basically been the same thing but they're non-profit and all iirc

But yeah, you copy over all the comments, and you suddenly have a website people want to use, all the old info is there

They've probably given this option a thought, feels a bit wrong, but if its legal I'd do it in their shoes if something happens to Wowhead

That said, it's now a sticky on the wow subreddit too, hard to see this not getting fixed cc: @chaud on this post too
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-11-27 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    so true, people like this retard Panser are the ones ruining wowhead.
    People only take her seriously cause she is fuckable!

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    She's been pretending she doesn't represent WoWhead now that it doesn't suit her - when officially she does and it even says so on her twitter. She's having a pissing contest with people, and pretending their ads aren't completely terrible and they 'need' it to function.

What they evidently 'need' is a more enticing subscription model rather than IF YOU DON'T SUBSCRIBE WE WILL GIVE YOUR COMPUTER CANCER.
    Except everyone's engaging right back, attacking her instead of the fact that they're annoyed at the design and going to someone who can do something about it with actual information rather than falsifying what people are saying.

It's like they're claiming to have the superior situation, while adding fuel to the fire against her.

Really, the only thing that can be done at this point is wait and see if they do fix it. Why waste time sitting there attacking someone? It would be like coming after me about MMO-C ads. A complete waste of time, I have absolutely no say in that.

It's almost like she's a respresentative of a company and you should expect to receive negative responses when things go wrong - even if it's not your fault. I don't go taking a proverbial shit on the customers for the company I work at because it's 'not my problem'.

She is right she can't be fired, although her contract can still be terminated (not that it will because the other one is just as bad as her)

And no, it's not like coming at you about MMO-C ads, because you're a volunteer helper to MMO-C.

This doesn't really bother me either way - I opened wowhead earlier and noticed it was unplayably slow so just closed it and thought my connection was being the issue. I just find it hilarious that she can act like a fucking 5 year old while representing a company, and trying to take the hat off just because she doesn't like dealing with the shit your average customer service representative would have to deal with. (which she is fueling far more than it would be normally with her sarcastic & provocative comments)
    Last edited by Raiju; 2016-11-27 at 12:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Wowhead ads have actually been getting past my adblock for a while. I stopped going to that site right after this started happening, apparently for a good reason
    I've noticed stuff like that and at times the site ran super slow...been going there less and less unless I really needed help locating something then I got in and out as fast as I could normally...guess I'll make sure to avoid it now.

Yeah, it's been passed on per Perculia. I'd stay away from Pansers twitter as its easy to get riled up by those tweets. Twitter is kind of a wild west nowadays. All that matters is getting a working wowhead again

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

If you followed this Twitter chain shes replying to people saying if the adds a problem, subscribe.

The response to malicious adds is pay us a subscription fee.

Protip, you should NEVER reward bad behavior. Paying a subscription fee to avoid adds is rewarding their unethcal and downright dangerous business model.

...and damn straight we are engaging right back. If youre a representative of a community like this and you try and fob off your political views instead of saying "Hey guys we are aware of issue, give us some time to fix" its damn right frustrating.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2016-11-27 at 12:51 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just went to check, among my 70~ Chrome tabs, the Wowhead tab that is open...

"Google Chrome ran out of memory trying to display this webpage."

LOLWUT I have 32GB of RAM. XD 20GB of it is available/free atm, to boot!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20752227502?page=1

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20752326947

Something is not quite right.
    Yeah, Wowhead what are you hiding?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If you followed this Twitter chain shes replying to people saying if the adds a problem, subscribe.

The response to malicious adds is pay us a subscription fee.
    Link to this Twitter chain, please? <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water