Deleted

Holy trying Disc, please help

Greetings!

My guild is starting progress on Eye of Il'gynoth mythic and we are doing the 8 ooze kill at the beginning with people stacking in Spirit Link totem + paladins aura for reduced damage and yet people seem to still die even if i also pop Divine Hymn and druid does Tranquility at the same time.
    Of course it might just be a timing issue we just need to get used to yet, but it was also suggested Discipline priests bubble is very strong there, and Disc being good overall in that encounter.

So my problem is i have not played Disc this expansion. I was hoping you could help me with some tips and tricks as the spec has been changed a lot.

Another issue is my gear - i have been gearing purely for Holy, so i have very little haste. What haste should i have as minimum to even consider trying Disc? Is it worth losing intellect to get it?
    Also my Artifact weapon - i stand at 895 ilvl with 15 ranks purchased, following this route: icy-veins.com/wow/discipline-priest-pve-healing-artifact-talents-traits-relics (so just have the 3rd arrow completed at first gold dragon). Would this even be enough for trying?
    What trinkets would you suggest? I have 855 Heightened Senses and 865 Unstable Archoncrystal available apart from the equipped.

My armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aszune/Lilnore/advanced
    Logs from the wipes we had so far: warcraftlogs.com/reports/vcyn6LaH9z4GwRBD#fight=23

Basically i am wondering if it is even advisable for me to try Disc at this point, what would the minimum requirements be i need to achieve to try Disc, and also any advice on how to actually play/master the spec.

Thank you in advance!

Deleted
    Read up on the disc priest guide on these forums at the sticky posts. Wouldn't recommend the path icy-veins shows, since its not that optimal for raiding, although your AK is probably high enough to get all 3 golden traits fairly quick.

As for my own xp in raids, my priest (846) isn't really geared for raids, 6,5k crit 7.8k haste and 2.1k mastery but i manage to do 200+ hps on most fights. Keeping up 3 - 5 atonement and 10 sec before high damage spread up to 12+ atonement.

As a disc with 3 M illgnoth kills. It didn't take me long to figure out the whole raid was smoother when I was holy. (which means we went double holy priest.). I don't think pw:b is alot better then hymn, and it's defo not worth the cost for the rest of the fight.

That being said, you can play disc to a decent level even without alot of haste. So you can always try.
    However I find your hps extremely low where-as you guys have like 250k hps each, we usually have 400k each. And I just quick checked every class of ours has only roughly half it's healing coming from the cd during the phase, compared to you where 90% of the healing is all the cooldown. In addition it helps if you use, tranq, dh, htt, that you don't use it at the same time, but drop tranq a second afer hymn.

What intrqiues me most though, is that we did a total of 3 mil hps combined over a short period you guys did 8 mil. Which means you take retarded amounts of dmg from somewhere unintended.

Our kill https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken
    yours: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken See how dmg intake is smooth af, compared to yours (which means your timing on killings blobs is extremely off, and we only take half the amount of dmg you do).

To me it looks like a much grander issue then you going disc would fix. But it's worth mentionning you have 3 hunters and 3 mages, all who can immune the debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    As a disc with 3 M illgnoth kills. It didn't take me long to figure out the whole raid was smoother when I was holy. (which means we went double holy priest.). I don't think pw:b is alot better then hymn, and it's defo not worth the cost for the rest of the fight.

That being said, you can play disc to a decent level even without alot of haste. So you can always try.
    However I find your hps extremely low where-as you guys have like 250k hps each, we usually have 400k each. And I just quick checked every class of ours has only roughly half it's healing coming from the cd during the phase, compared to you where 90% of the healing is all the cooldown. In addition it helps if you use, tranq, dh, htt, that you don't use it at the same time, but drop tranq a second afer hymn.

What intrqiues me most though, is that we did a total of 3 mil hps combined over a short period you guys did 8 mil. Which means you take retarded amounts of dmg from somewhere unintended.

yours: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken See how dmg intake is smooth af, compared to yours (which means your timing on killings blobs is extremely off, and we only take half the amount of dmg you do).

To me it looks like a much grander issue then you going disc would fix. But it's worth mentionning you have 3 hunters and 3 mages, all who can immune the debuff.
    If you are always doing 1 stack instead of the occasional 3 stacks outside of the 8 stack thing, holy priest is obviously better - when Light's Wrath is back off CD I just call for a 2-3 stack and speed up entering the eye.

But you know, you are running an inferior strat, so obviously you want an additional holy priest because it's basically just sustained triage after that.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2016-11-25 at 07:25 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by arones View Post
    Greetings!

My guild is starting progress on Eye of Il'gynoth mythic and we are doing the 8 ooze kill at the beginning with people stacking in Spirit Link totem + paladins aura for reduced damage and yet people seem to still die even if i also pop Divine Hymn and druid does Tranquility at the same time.
    Of course it might just be a timing issue we just need to get used to yet, but it was also suggested Discipline priests bubble is very strong there, and Disc being good overall in that encounter.

So my problem is i have not played Disc this expansion. I was hoping you could help me with some tips and tricks as the spec has been changed a lot.

Another issue is my gear - i have been gearing purely for Holy, so i have very little haste. What haste should i have as minimum to even consider trying Disc? Is it worth losing intellect to get it?
    Also my Artifact weapon - i stand at 895 ilvl with 15 ranks purchased, following this route: icy-veins.com/wow/discipline-priest-pve-healing-artifact-talents-traits-relics (so just have the 3rd arrow completed at first gold dragon). Would this even be enough for trying?
    What trinkets would you suggest? I have 855 Heightened Senses and 865 Unstable Archoncrystal available apart from the equipped.

My armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aszune/Lilnore/advanced
    Logs from the wipes we had so far: warcraftlogs.com/reports/vcyn6LaH9z4GwRBD#fight=23

Basically i am wondering if it is even advisable for me to try Disc at this point, what would the minimum requirements be i need to achieve to try Disc, and also any advice on how to actually play/master the spec.

Thank you in advance!
    Our advice really depends on what your intentions are; If you only intend to play disc for this one fight and only for using barrier on the 8stack, then what I'd recommend for you to do is a lot different to if you were considering going disc for many fights.

So IF you are only going disc for this 1 fight and just for barrier:

Artifact Traits
    Respec your disc artifact (which costs equal to taking your next trait in disc, so about 11k AP) to this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/artifact-calc...N6AzfQM38BVBAQ
    You respec for the Barrier golden trait which will help a lot with healing the 8stack damage, get a longer rapture which will help you setup for the bursts, and get a personal CD from fade (which will help keep yourself alive when you do the 8 stack).
    You can then quickly get to Sins of the Many in 3 more traits, which again would help on your bursts. With your Artifact Knowledge (you have 30 holy traits so I'm assuming your at least AK15) it won't take more than a few hours of world quests/pvp/mythic+ to get to Sins of the many, and anything beyond that won't be worth it unless you plan to play disc more often.

Talents
    T1: Castigation, non-optional
    T2: Feathers highly recommended, Body and Sould if not (get a self cast macro for feathers if you're not used to them)
    T3: Shining Force (can be useful for moving oozes around - not sure if still relevant on mythic though)
    T4: Shield Discipline, non-optional
    T5: Depends - ToF would probably be ideal if you had a decent amount of haste, but with low haste the other two are more important (see below).
    T6: Halo is the only real choice here.
    T7: Purge the Wicked, non-optional.

So about the T5 choice - I'm not familiar with mythic ilgynoth myself, as my guild are a bunch of shitcunts, but PosPosPos can advise you as to whether it'd be better going contrition or PI in this specific situation where you're focusing entirely on that one 8stack burst. Certainly the top ranks are almost entirely using Contrition on this. Given your haste and the strategy's focus on this single burst, I'd guess that PI is possibly better, but I'm not sure if there's much more sustained damage afterward, and if there is then Contrition would definitely be better.

Gear
    Priority: For raiding, more or less it goes Haste>int>mastery>crit>=vers
    Because of the way that disc values haste, there isn't really a minimum amount you need, just as much as you can get before diminishing returns devalues it (Question for PosPosPos or others - is there diminishing returns on haste rating? I know there is(was?) for versatility and multistrike, so I assume there is for all stats).
    Do what you can to maximise haste, I'd recommend keeping that Legendary neck though, will do a decent amount on this fight, and the cape will be enough of a stat stick to be worth keeping on too.

Rings: Easiest way to get some haste will be to swap out your rings for any ring with high haste on it, even if it's lower ilvl it'll be worth it. You can get some mythic dungeon or mythic+ rings with over 1200 haste at ilvls as low as 840, so try to pick up two of those.

Trinkets: Mana trinkets. I see you have Promises, thats good, keep it on. Get Amalgam's Seventh Spine from BRH if you can for your second, or the Kara mana trinket is also good. If you can't get another mana trinket, go for anything with haste; both the Ravaged Seed Pod and Swarming Plague Hive have very high haste; if you can get the Ravaged Seed Pod from Nythendra (on use, melee trinket) it's very good for disc when you can use it for AoE since it's dmg hasn't been nerfed. The Swarming Plague hive also does a little damage (~3-5% on single target), which with RNG is at least as much healing (for disc, Vial of Nightmare Fog is never above 5% of our healing either), potentially a good amount more with good procs. A simple Int+Haste stat stick will also be decent, but mana trinkets are still top priority.

Gameplay
    So really I can't say much more than you would get in Mend's TLDR disc guide, stickied here in the priest forums, or from Totaltotemic's more detailed guide on HowToPriest.com (If you can't find it, I think there's a link in Mend's guide). The section in Totaltotemic's guide about How to burst, and also the section on changes in 7.1 and the shifted disc playstyle meta is particularly relevant to Ilgynoth mythic, due to it's extremely long duration and the usage of more frequent, smaller bursts, as well as the big light's wrath bursts (which is what you will want to do for your 8 stack I'd imagine).

Innervate
    If you are swapping to disc just for this barrier and burst healing the 8stack, then if you have a boomkin have them innervate you for the 20% haste during your prepburst (if you only have a resto druid then it's probably better leaving it for whichever healer usually gets it (imo should be the monk healer), since it's probably not worth you using it just for the mana with your traits and gear and experience as disc, no offence).
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    So about the T5 choice - I'm not familiar with mythic ilgynoth myself, as my guild are a bunch of shitcunts, but PosPosPos can advise you as to whether it'd be better going contrition or PI in this specific situation where you're focusing entirely on that one 8stack burst. Certainly the top ranks are almost entirely using Contrition on this. Given your haste and the strategy's focus on this single burst, I'd guess that PI is possibly better, but I'm not sure if there's much more sustained damage afterward, and if there is then Contrition would definitely be better.
    ToF is better, but Contrition is so much easier to use, without losing too much extra output. Any disc that is starting out on the spec should use contrition to ease into the gameplay. When you want to min max and parse big numbers, or when you are comfortable with the spec, ToF is the choice.

I personally use Contrition because it's so easy, and all but eliminates the need to cast Penance during the duration of Rapture.

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Gear
    Priority: For raiding, more or less it goes Haste>int>mastery>crit>=vers
    Because of the way that disc values haste, there isn't really a minimum amount you need, just as much as you can get before diminishing returns devalues it (Question for PosPosPos or others - is there diminishing returns on haste rating? I know there is(was?) for versatility and multistrike, so I assume there is for all stats).
    Do what you can to maximise haste, I'd recommend keeping that Legendary neck though, will do a decent amount on this fight, and the cape will be enough of a stat stick to be worth keeping on too.
    Not so much "diminishing returns" as other stats scale up as you stack haste(or any stat for that matter), but it's okay, with current itemization there's almost no way you have like 40%+ haste if you have 2 mana trinkets like you are supposed to.

Long story short: just stack haste without worrying.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post

They are dying not because of not having a disc priest, they are dying because they aren't killing the oozes at the same time. They are taking too many ticks of nightmare explosion.

To use your logs:

here is your guild's kill: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...9&end=11895412

Here is the OP's wipe try: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...false%24209471

Your raid's kill got 3 ticks and his raid's wipe had 7-8 ticks. Even barrier won't save them.

Deleted
    Thank you all for the constructive replies, also the logs were good help to confirm our suspicion of having a problem with the ooze kills and the need to pester our demon hunter in joining the run Hopefully we get to down the Eye tonight.

And looks like i will take the advice of staying Holy this fight, but if anyone knows of a good thread with boss- specific advice and strategy for priests in current raid i would very much appreciate the link.

Good reply, it helps a lot