Thread: Best expansion?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The MoP races were new and unfamiliar in a setting where everything was mostly presented as being light-hearted and whimsical so it was difficult to really feel any sort of hook.
    What was light hearted and whimsical about Krassarang? Kun-lai? Dread Wastes? Townlong? Any of the raids?

The Jade Forest was essentially a collection of fairy tales. Who is the enemy? I dunno lol find out because PLOT TWIST it isn't the Horde or Alliance this time - it's that evul witch who is out to turn little pandas into statues of Jade. Well, on to the next zone then.
    That was one questline, a short one at that. And it was the Horde and Alliance. Did you not complete the zone? The ending cinematic makes it abundantly clear who is at fault. The entire point was that the newcomers were hurting the Pandaren. Their being there brought forth parasitic creatures and at one point they nearly flat out kill one of the Pandaren gods. It was setting the scene for future zones, and sure enough, all but one largely deal with the repercussions of the alliance and horde coming in where they're not wanted.
    The Vale of Eternal Blossom - because nothing says "Warcraft" like agriculture. You will be fighting varmint but do not worry, cool uncle Firepaw will come in to make sure that WoW doesn't slip any lower on the ESRB rating by introducing alcohol to your content...
    Yes, the zone was light hearted. That was a bit of the point. Though it also ends with a mantid invasion.

... by then it was clear that the MoP storylines were meant to be taken with a grain of salt.
    No by then it was clear you either weren't paying attention or only seeing what you wanted to see. Keep on cherry picking though.

And Highmountain was just as difficult to take with any degree of seriousness precisely because bro jokes seemed to be the main defining characteristic of the Bruul, to the point of overshadowing any other point that the writers may have been trying to make.
    I think you're just ignoring anything to the contrary once you see a bit of silly. Like the crack addict withered in Azsuna, or the hogwarts rip-off in the same zone where you steal ghost clothes. WoW has a lot of silly stuff and always has. It was originally made by heavy metal dads for christs sake.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-11-27 at 05:19 PM.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP by far! Cata close second.

MoP > Cata > WotLK > BC > WoD > Having a diseased hobo piss in your face > Legion

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion so far is equal to wrath and Mop then BC Vanilla Cata WoD

Deleted
    Mists of Pandaria (minus SoO) -> Legion -> The Burning Crusade -> Cata -> "Classic"/"Vanilla" -> Warlords of Draenor -> Wrath

Every expansion has had some good and some bad. Legion's luster has quickly worn off for me and I have it last in my rankings. There are no fun specs to play right now.
    I would say the best were MoP followed closely by Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    People were saying that about month 1 of Legion, then month 2, then 3...

I bet you we'll keep seeing posts such as yours up to the very end patch of Legion.
    Token prices have already close to doubled from what they were two months ago, so people are already saying it with their wallets.
    Last edited by ScreddyLoix; 2016-11-27 at 05:57 PM.

In the end there not one that wins because no one likes the same things. For myself wotlk because i started there and the lore + zones were amazing followed by mop!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    "There's more to an expansion than just raiding and goldfarming"... If you could be bothered to read the response to something YOU wrote, you'd see that that's exactly what I said. I'm not the one who claimed that WoD was garbage to begin with, nor did I throw around oh-so mature lines as "is retarded" in regards to why or how someone enjoyed an expansion.
    We are comparing expansions, and you are in the minority who thinks WoD was actually good. Sure they did something good, enough to keep a few millions loyal players, me included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomshine View Post
    Yes, I am sorry. I am a very casual players who love to play alts, explore their abilities and play style so WoD was very friendly to me with the lack of dailies, garrison missions and raw materials you can farm in the garrison.
    It's okay, I'm pretty much a casual player myself, but I found MOP to be much better from that point compared to WoD. Leveling alone was so much of a pain in WOD I only leveled 1 alt prior to flying vs 10 in MOP
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    We are comparing expansions, and you are in the minority who thinks WoD was actually good. Sure they did something good, enough to keep a few millions loyal players, me included.
    Yeah, its weird. WoD did nothing right. Anything that people say was good was done much better in other expansions. The only thing that came close to being very well done was raids, but other expansions did it better.

WoD was just all over bad. I think the only ones who liked it are those who had a bunch of garrisons passively shoveling them money every day.

Or people who like Orcs for the sake of Orcs, since WoD was retcon city.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2016-11-27 at 06:31 PM.

Wrath>Legion>Vanilla>TBC>Cata>WOD>Donald Trump>All the std's>MOP

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    So basically, barring the professions, it's the same thing as now, except you have additional stuff in Legion.
    How does Legion have more casual friendly things than TBC, though? There are random heroics, world quests, BGs and LFR. That's it. Not "additional stuff", that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    How does Legion have more casual friendly things than TBC, though? There are random heroics, world quests, BGs and LFR. That's it. Not "additional stuff", that's it.
    There is also stuff like transmog, running old raids etc.
    In BC, you got some dailies like Aldor/Scryers, Skettis and Ogri'la dailies (and IQD dailies once they released) and that's about it. It's hard to compared it to WQs in terms of rewards or interest.
    BC, however, had flying, which was a major selling point. Why Blizzard did a U-turn on this one is beyond me.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    TBC was a whole different monster. You could casually progress towards a few, specific objectives. There were few side things to do, and rewards outside of raiding came very slowly, but somewhat steadily.

Third behind TBC and Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    There is also stuff like transmog, running old raids etc.
    In BC, you got some dailies like Aldor/Scryers, Skettis and Ogri'la dailies (and IQD dailies once they released) and that's about it. It's hard to compared it to WQs in terms of rewards or interest.
    BC, however, had flying, which was a major selling point. Why Blizzard did a U-turn on this one is beyond me.
    I agree. The Daily Quest system in terms of 'rewards or interest' was better designed, with less of the "we have spoiled the user base too much by now and we have to give them epics all the time, and then the user base complains about how useless said epics are". :P
    As a structural system it was better. Would it work today? Of course not. Because people are used to helicopter game design. That's just the way it is. We can't change that. They caved and gave the players too much convenience -- something I fiercely disagree with.
    Raiding also worked better back when, having all tiers matter throughout the entire expansion, making the lower tiers casual friendly, having Karazhan and even Gruul or Mag runs were very casual friendly back when. Without the loot being pointless or the encounters trivial through gearing from doing dailies (not even after IQD). Since we're not that far into Legion, this is hardly a fair comparison since we're still in the first tier, but still.
    Now there is LFR, and while I haven't actually stepped into LFR since Dragon Soul (and I've heard it's worse now? I thought it was pretty cool back when), it isn't quite the same thing. The last actual current raid I was in, was in ICC.
    I would hardly dream of applying to raiding guilds or Pugs today. They are anything but casual friendly.

BC did have flying, yes. The worst thing ever brought to the game, and one of the few flaws it had.

Also, don't get me wrong, behind TBC and WLK, Legion is my favourite so far. But modern Wow has through the casualisation, imho, made it ironically less casual friendly as time has gone on. Then again I was in realm-first guilds up until mid-WLK and still considered myself casual and I consider myself casual today. I'm weird, I know.
    But in Vanilla, TBC and to a lesser degree but still WLK, I never ran out of things to do.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2016-11-27 at 07:08 PM.

Most fun for me:

Cata > Legion > MoP > WotLK > WoD

Never Played TBC/Vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Yeah, its weird. WoD did nothing right. Anything that people say was good was done much better in other expansions. The only thing that came close to being very well done was raids, but other expansions did it better.

WoD was just all over bad. I think the only ones who liked it are those who had a bunch of garrisons passively shoveling them money every day.

Wod did many things right, especially before 6.2. Most important of which was that every class felt good to play, raiding was also the best it ever was.

For me I'd say Vanilla > Wrath > Legion > TBC/Cata/MoP

Never touched WoD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Well I never was one to consider it a bad thing to be part of a minority. However, I didn't say I thought WoD was good. I said I ENJOYED it for certain reasons. It's the worst expansion I've ever played in the game, and still held my interest well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

Same as how everyone that enjoyed MoP just liked Pandas?

That sort of narrowminded thinking ain't flattering. "WoD did nothing right" is a very big statement.

To me it did raids the best of any expansion before it. Talking Mythic fights here. And it did some classes right which they gutted with Legion, it added timewalking, new character models, was extremely alt-friendly to the point where it was silly at times... My garrisons "shoveling me money" were still just under 15 minutes in total spent per day sending followers on missions. The rest of the time I played and enjoyed the game in the same numerous areas I always have, which was more than possible even in WoD.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-11-27 at 08:06 PM.

Wrath was the best imo.
    MoP and parts of Cata was really good as well.

WoD and Legion was/is probably the worst. WoD had good raids though...