Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's the current state of PvP?

Lately I've been getting the "wow itch" again and been thinking about resubscribing. I haven't played WoW since early WoD and I'm not really interested in PvE. I don't have the time anymore to raid 3 times a week like I used to. I've always been interested in PvP but never had the time to commit to both PvE and PvP.

Is legion PvP any good?
    Any classes you guys recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Healers? any except priest really
    DPS? Mage/Rogue/Warrior are always good
    enh sham/spriest/ww monk/ret pally are good rn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    How would you compare legion's pvp to other expansions?
    Has the pvp changes worked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    How would you compare legion's pvp to other expansions?
    Has the pvp changes worked?
    I like the changes, especially some classes who have several niche talents which is fun, like resto sham (more like every talent for them)
    as for comparing to other xpacs, its more balanced than wod, but my favorites are still cata/mop

When I say changes, I mean the pvp talents and balance, gear, legendaries, not so much
    Last edited by Xkiller9000; 2016-11-27 at 03:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    This question has been asked a couple of times lately, so there are a couple of similar threads on it. You can look on Blizz forums too.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-to-come-back!

Basically, most people are not happy with it. It's a lot of grind and there are no more gear vendors - all gear is RNG drops with a lot of trash and duplicates. The Legendary system is also a joke due to RNG and some useless Legendaries. Then you have the Artifact weapon grind which is separate, and is not alt friendly. Because of people leaving there is ladder collapse in Rated. On and on.

If you don't have time to commit to both PvE and PvP, you'd better think again since PvE is really the best way to gear/level up for PvP.

So far it's actually one of the worst, if not the worst, xpacs for PvP.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-11-27 at 03:49 AM.

The pvp gameplay itself is about as fun as I've ever seen it, personally. The ability prunes have finally gotten the game to a point where you don't feel like you spend 3/4 of your time either staring at your character and waiting to be able to press a button again or cleansing cc off your teammates.

The severe reduction in gear disparity make actual skill far more important which has upset some people who previously thought they were good at video games, and that's ok.

The only legitimate gripe I've seen is with artifact power which is a giant grind the game didn't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    ^ IOW: if you like MOBA-style gameplay in your MMORPG, then you'll like Legion.

Gear "disparity" is not as slight as it's hyped to be, when talents, traits, and Arti wep are added in, and when it's cumulative on a team vs. another team. Try versing 830-840 ilvl against 870-880 and see how well it goes.

CC trains are just as bad/prevalent as other xpacs, maybe more so.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-11-27 at 01:03 PM.

Lord, no. Legion PvP is the worst it's ever been with the lowest amount of rated participation even from end of WoD. Healers are still overly powerful gods that almost never have to cast to keep things topped off, all melee is the strongest in PvP and hunters are the worst class in pvE and PvP. Literally the main complaint of legion is class balance is absolutely terrible, and most people that enjoyed that class/spec before no longer do. At this point it is more about what class/spec you play than anything else, with the 'skillcap' being lower than ever.
    Last edited by Footpaws; 2016-11-27 at 04:38 AM.

Nobody is playing PVP, OP. The number of people who PVP is like a third it was in WoD, and I am not pulling your leg. Thankfully, Legion is not as content-bare as WoD was, so people find things to do, but PVP is... just not on the radar anymore for the majority of those who PVP'd in the past. It's been relegated to "OK, when I get gear / AP and have nothing else to do, maybe I'll run a couple of BGs and laugh at the balance again".

Praise Holinka and his gearing system as well as Celestalon and his ability pruning.

Deleted
    Pvp is not a thing anymore in WOW, any pvp-related progression is gone (except going after rating if you can it seriously and can grind the pve needed).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    Lately I've been getting the "wow itch" again and been thinking about resubscribing. I haven't played WoW since early WoD and I'm not really interested in PvE. I don't have the time anymore to raid 3 times a week like I used to. I've always been interested in PvP but never had the time to commit to both PvE and PvP.

Is legion PvP any good?
    Any classes you guys recommend?
    Terrible.

There is little observable difference between good and bad players due to very low gameplay mechanics. You'd see backpeddling DKs and Rets at 2100+ MMR. There's little to no depth involved in arena gameplay and RBGs are pretty much dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    Terrible.

There is little observable difference between good and bad players due to very low gameplay mechanics. You'd see backpeddling DKs and Rets at 2100+ MMR. There's little to no depth involved in arena gameplay and RBGs are pretty much dead.
    Rbgs have never been more alive and more people playing, same goes for arena.

I have been doing RBGs, Random BGs, 2v2, 3v3, and World Quest PvP and my take is that the game right now is just in a very poor state for PvP. The biggest issue for me is the massive amount of damage. There is no room for plays to be made anymore, it is just who can spam their buttons the fastest now. You will especially notice this in the World PvP where your gear is not templated.

The other main issue is that the ability prune has destroyed ranged for the most part. There are some classes that are designed around tunneling damage without much CC, so when you remove most of the CC from the other classes the damage bots get stronger. This is evident in the massive amount of melee turbo cleaves right now. If you do any PvP you will be playing against ferals, WW monks, Rets, Demon Hunters, frost DKs, enhance and warriors forever. Rogues have essentially fallen off the planet because they are irrelevant in the turbo world.

There is some room for some of the ranged classes like Boomkin, Mage and Warlock because they have kept some spammable CC. They have to play at such a higher level though to stay alive versus the melee train. So until you get into higher rating you essentially don't see them, and they have to work harder to get there.

I can't comment on super high rated stuff because I am not there. I would imagine though that the games are too fast and everyone is disappointed when it is over.

I'm having fun in PvP atm.
    Edit Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    Just a note on that, Rogue is the worst melee dps in wow right now (pvp speaking)
    and mage is the worst caster in pvp right now

both are still viable at high end, they are both just bad compared to others at the current moment / meta

however ret / ww / dk are gods

(just my 2 cents from about 1500 played ranked 3v3 matches)
    ((that's 1500 games played not 1500 cr btw))

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemlol View Post
    Rbgs have never been more alive and more people playing, same goes for arena.
    On EU the top RBG team is a 5am MoP queue dodger. There's no other real teams. Perhaps at lower MMR it's active.

According to ladder trackers, participation in 3s is about half of what it was in WoD season 1. That's bad for the first season of an expac, as the first season has always (obviously) had the highest amount of participation.

So, unequivocally false.

RBGs have pretty much been dead since early MoP. The only time it was "alive" was in the first 3 seasons of it. There's been so little competition at the top of the ladder for years now. At the end of MoP there were only about 6-7 "real" teams, with most of the others dying off in S12 partly due to the mass wintrading. In WoD the bracket was so laughable everyone started cheating.

Snapshot to Legion, the bracket has been abandoned by any respectable player due to the widespread cheating in WoD.

So, unequivocally false again.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2016-11-28 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    On EU the top RBG team is a 5am MoP queue dodger. There's no other real teams. Perhaps at lower MMR it's active.

According to ladder trackers, participation in 3s is about half of what it was in WoD season 1. That's bad for the first season of an expac, as the first season has always (obviously) had the highest amount of participation.

So, unequivocally false.

RBGs have pretty much been dead since early MoP. The only time it was "alive" was in the first 3 seasons of it. There's been so little competition at the top of the ladder for years now. At the end of MoP there were only about 6-7 "real" teams, with most of the others dying off in S12 partly due to the mass wintrading. In WoD the bracket was so laughable everyone started cheating.

Snapshot to Legion, the bracket has been abandoned by any respectable player due to the widespread cheating in WoD.

So, unequivocally false again.
    I dont know what kind of ratings you play at, but I'm playing at 2800 mmr and there are tons of good teams to play at all ratings. Queues are always within 1-3 minutes for any rating.

Secondly you just keep saying it's dead, there IS top competetion and there are good teams and good games maybe for you at 1700 rating its different.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemlol View Post
    I dont know what kind of ratings you play at, but I'm playing at 2800 mmr and there are tons of good teams to play at all ratings. Queues are always within 1-3 minutes for any rating.

Secondly you just keep saying it's dead, there IS top competetion and there are good teams and good games maybe for you at 1700 rating its different.
    Oh here we go. "I'm going to discard all of your experience and comment on the CR from your 10 games you've played this season to validate my point"

I don't need to play to know it's dead. The reason I don't queue is because all of the people I used to know who played RBGs don't play them anymore, and that's the majority of people on the top teams from back in late MoP / early WoD. I started RBGs in season 10 and played at 2400+ from S12 to S16 and seen the decline of RBGs gradually from MoP onwards. The overflow of cheaters in WoD, the absolute death of the bracket this expansion.

So which of the 5 players on the ladder who are 2800+ are you?

I can see you only post on the warlock and PvP sections, so I take it you're a lock.

The only locks 2800+ on both EU/US are fairly well known.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2016-11-28 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    ^ IOW: if you like MOBA-style gameplay in your MMORPG, then you'll like Legion.

Gear "disparity" is not as slight as it's hyped to be, when talents, traits, and Arti wep are added in, and when it's cumulative on a team vs. another team. Try versing 830-840 ilvl against 870-880 and see how well it goes.

CC trains are just as bad/prevalent as other xpacs, maybe more so.
    840 ilvl vs 880 (really, really high) is a 4% difference in dmg/hp. In the end this could rarely be a big decider in winning games (mainly in tippity top tier players vs tippity top tier, ie. the Blizzcon finals) but in reality you're going to lose an arena game 99.9/100 times due to playing incorrectly.

Positioning, coordinating CC and cooldowns is going to win you almost every game. You can put even just sorta decent players (2400ish rated guys) up against people on ilvl 840 characters vs ilvl 880 and they'll rarely lose to anyone until they start hitting their own rating. It really isn't a big deal.

The artifact grind sucks, that part is the rough one, but it's really not too bad and the catchup mechanic is coming.

Besides that, with PvP talents etc, the game has way more variety in builds for characters than ever before, and FAR more specs and classes are viable than ever before.

Also check out arenacomps.com to get real arena comp stats