Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Well, technically I guess they would be "non-human" so they would be treated like any non-human animal.
    No, whether they would be considered "non-human" legally would depend on the laws each state has in place (and on the language used).

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    treat them like you would anyone else, goes without question

But some restrictions would need to be put into place. For example, I'd think twice about introduction into the human population, I'd say integration would be a long slow process.
    Wellll.... you cannot restrict a human person. They may look a bit strange, but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Say someone theoretically manages to gather enough genetic material to produce twenty Neanderthal embryos which are grown within artificial wombs. The babies come into world seemingly healthy with no birth defects or foreseen health issues.

A stupid, hypothetical question, I know, but indulge it a bit. How would you handle it (assuming it happened within your country), if you had the authority to do something about it. Not a question about what your government (depending on your nationality) would/could probably do, but how would you personally respond to the birth of an extinct archaic human.
    who says they are extinct?

take a real good look around you, they're bloody everywhere, some people have real heavy neanderthal traits. much in the same way as a lot of people have genghis khan traits.

it's all in our DNA, it pops out all over the place - although it's regional to a degree
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Were talking about clones though.
    Not entirely sure why that distinction should apply thou, you are actually breeding an inteligent sentient species, no matter how limited their inteligence may be.

It would be the same thing as cloning a "current" version of the human evolucionary form when it comes to their definition of "human being"

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Wellll.... you cannot restrict a human person. They may look a bit strange, but that's all.
    But you don't know how he'd react. If I remember my evolution and systemmatics 101 correctly, one species died out when they came along. You couldn't clone one, then go SUCCESS! Lets throw it out there and see what happens!. You'd have to run observational experiments, introduce different situations to how he would react. For example, introducing a human of similar age, see the initial reactions, give them say a loaf of bread, see if he shares it or hoards it or tries to break the skull of the human for wanting some - don't get me wrong isolation in the first place is a terrible idea and can lead to undesirable traits which would interfere in just about any experiment you could run.

But my point stands, you could not clone one or ten, then introduce them into a general population without exploring the unknown.

Regardless - De-extinction would be completely unethical to do on Neanderthal DNA, this tool should only be used for conservation purposes, or recently extinct animals, ones that have gone extinct due to human interference. Using it for to bring back Neanderthals, would be completely unethical.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well assuming that you would only clone a small number of Neanderthals, their descendants would be reabsorbed into our own population within a few generations through interbreeding. Unless you prevent them from breeding with us by segregating them, in which case their population would stay relatively tiny compared to ours due to lack of resources and land. Either way it would probably be a short lived experiment.

But you don't know how he'd react. If I remember my evolution and systemmatics 101 correctly, one species died out when they came along. You couldn't clone one, then go SUCCESS! Lets throw it out there and see what happens!. You'd have to run observational experiments, introduce different situations to how he would react. For example, introducing a human of similar age, see the initial reactions, give them say a loaf of bread, see if he shares it or hoards it or tries to break the skull of the human for wanting some - don't get me wrong isolation in the first place is a terrible idea and can lead to undesirable traits which would interfere in just about any experiment you could run.

But my point stands, you could not clone one or ten, then introduce them into a general population without exploring the unknown.

Regardless - De-extinction would be completely unethical to do on Neanderthal DNA, this tool should only be used for conservation purposes, or recently extinct animals, ones that have gone extinct due to human interference. Using it for to bring back Neanderthals, would be completely unethical.
    i think this is the most important thing to consider, even if the knowledge we would get from it would be invaluable, there's a point we have to ask "ok we can do it! but should we?"

10+ Year Old Account
    That presumes we come up with a reason to clone neanderthals.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    i think this is the most important thing to consider, even if the knowledge we would get from it would be invaluable, there's a point we have to ask "ok we can do it! but should we?"
    Completely, they might besimilar to us, but without a living breathing one in front of us, we have no idea how the brain chemistry would interact with anything in todays world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

you will be Shepard
    If we are talking Mass Effect, I would say they would have to be treated like Quarians. Locked up in germ-free hypersterile environments with a special suit developed for them to ever see the outside. Modern diseases would kill them immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    If we are talking Mass Effect, I would say they would have to be treated like Quarians. Locked up in germ-free hypersterile environments with a special suit developed for them to ever see the outside. Modern diseases would kill them immediately.
    You obviously do not have a clue about how deseases interact with the immune system.

Deleted
    enslave them, like humans have always done to humans

15+ Year Old Account
    Cloned sabre toothed cats!

Or isn´t this about how to kill them clones?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Using it for to bring back Neanderthals, would be completely unethical.
    Defenitely. And we can't forget we're not talking about bringing an adult Neanderthal back from the dead/past. A cloned Neanderthal would start from the beginning, as a baby, not as a full-grown adult with reasoning and behavior influenced and taught by his parents.

We might one day be able to bring them back genetically, but we can't bring back their culture and social aspects. In the end chances are, just like us, a great part of what they become depends on how they are raised. A human doesn't really behave like a human unless raised and taught by humans, despite our "intelligence". Human children raised by animals usually seem to start behaving like those animals, and have a very hard time reintegrating after they are rescued.

If you clone a medieval warrior, chances are he won't go around raping and killing people with a sword at the first change he has, or think cars are roaring metallic dragons, because he will be raised and taught to live in the modern world, not in th medieval world.

We don't have any adult Neanderthal to raise them, so how would that go? Raised by humans, they would likely adopt human-like behaviour, even if their DNA makes that behaviour different in some ways - The point is that even though they would genetically be Neanderthal, a lot of what they "were" is almost completly lost and we can't replicate that in any way.

There's also many problems that people already mentioned here. They would likely be fairly susceptible to modern diseases, and with such a small sample they would either fairly quickly disappear after a few generations of interbreeding or, if isolated, likely go extinct again due to lack of genetic variety.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-11-28 at 11:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    They should be treated like any other person.
    They're another human race though. This time an actual race, not just skin colour or eye shape.
    If there's anyone or anything that deserves to choose their own path in life, it's another human race. We can have our own single country on Earth, they can have theirs.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Name one Vandal.

Proceed with World Domination.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    How would you handle it (assuming it happened within your country)
    Can't speak for my country but I believe yours just elected it XD

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Can't speak for my country but I believe yours just elected it XD
    That's not even funny

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Produce an army and go to war with something for the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    They had a similar body mass to brain ratio as humans and similarly advanced tool use and command of fire.

- - - Updated - - -

We are both homo sapiens according to some biologists, and we were capable of inter breeding.
    You really think "some" would be enough in this case? I doubt it.
    I hope I'm wrong though but you know...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    No, whether they would be considered "non-human" legally would depend on the laws each state has in place (and on the language used).
    Really? You sure about this?