Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The accents of the Races.

Okay.. we've had enough exposure of all the races in-game and their voices. Trying to roughly nail, if possible the general direction of the accent.

Trolls (all groups) - Jamaican
    Dwares (all groups) - Scottish
    Human - American english (unknown region)
    Gilnean - British cockney
    Forsaken - posh american (new york Manhattan -with creepy undertone)
    Blood/High Elf - posh American (Manhattan Lower east side type)
    Night elf (nightborne/highborne) - aristocrat english/ 50s/60s middle/upperclass English. [some african american tinged accents too]
    Tauren - native american or unaccented african american? - with a hollow effect
    Orcs - Klingon or unaccented african american english - with a gruff effect
    Gnome - alvin and the chipmunks squeak - canadian? or u.s. american accent - Boston?

Tyrande's voice sounded like she was Indian in Valsharah

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    Tyrande's voice sounded like she was Indian in Valsharah
    she sounds like one of those old fashioned upper middle class /nobility - strict nobility rather than the arrogant/entitled ones, but that may just be her tone. it's that accent though, you notice Illidan has a rather posh one, as does Vandros

Draenei, to me, sound East European or Russian, although Fantasy Name Generator says their names and accents are Arabic. Their history and lore feel very Jewish.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Goblin - New Jersey??

Draenei clearly russian accent

And pandas? Its not chinese thats for sure.

What I have been thinking of nightborne, they talk pretty straight forward english but their names, places etc sounds pretty much like french for me. Like Elisande, Valtrois, Thal'ryssa etc. Suramar itself sounds french. Some of them are arrogant and they love(sorry, addicted) to wine. Yeps, that sums it up.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2016-11-28 at 08:54 AM.

Deleted
    Tyrande has unbearable voice acting. No wonder Malfurion hushes her.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Tyrande has unbearable voice acting. No wonder Malfurion hushes her.
    This. Its terrible. Those two in the questline in Val'shara. Dreadful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goblins are Boston accent, or jersey it varies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Draenei clearly russian accent

And pandas? Its not chinese thats for sure.

What I have been thinking of nightborne, they talk pretty straight forward english but their names, places etc sounds pretty much like french for me. Like Elisande, Valtrois, Thal'ryssa etc. Suramar itself sounds french. Some of them are arrogant and they love(sorry, addicted) to wine. Yeps, that sums it up.
    Don't forget Margeaux or whatever her name was in the Twilight Vineyards.

I'm not sure about Elisande. Always thought it was a reference to Ellesime the elven queen of Suldanessellar.

Gilnean - British cockney
    It's British, but not cockney. Without the rhyming that makes cockney what it is, the gilnean accent is just another British accent
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2016-11-28 at 09:09 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

draenei definitely got that russian vibe.

it really fucking annoys me that kil'jaedan, archimonde, and every other man'ari eredar except socrethar, all have american accents. listen to socrethars sexy as fuck voice, and tell me that shit ain't better for man'ari.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post

I'm not sure about Elisande. Always thought it was a reference to Ellesime the elven queen of Suldanessellar.
    You pronounce the name Elisand like the french way(take away the last letter)

Tho I only go by the name, you might be right, I got no idea

I'd say Goblin is more of a Staten Island accent. Which incidentally is awful. <glares at brother in law>

I love Goblin accent. They have a ton of sass and character. One thing I dislike about night elves and Tauren are how damn boring and monotone they sound in dialogue. Though especially Tauren, very monotone and they seem to have a single voice actor doing the voice of each and every one.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's British, but not cockney. Without the rhyming that makes cockney what it is, the gilnean accent is just another British accent
    It's an attempt at English cockney, and some posh English accents thrown into the mix (Lorna Crowley sounds like both). I wouldn't be surprised if all those voice actors for Worgen were Americans trying to do the accents.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    It's an attempt at English cockney, and some posh English accents thrown into the mix (Lorna Crowley sounds like both). I wouldn't be surprised if all those voice actors for Worgen were Americans trying to do the accents.
    Especially Genn's new VA. Def not the same guy since Cataclysm.

yes, night elves have pretty much been either british aristocracy or french - but... French in English films... where they use English accents because they movie is in English. The Suramar night elves/nightborne have a french tinge to them, there is also a Roman tinge to their names too - but i've also noticed a lot of variation.

You have the Zin's which sound a bit trollish
    the alar's, lore's (like belore/adore), lorien's/iels and el's - which sound a bit tolkeinesque
    then the sash'jtar/vash'jir - once which i use to think were naga in origin, except when i found out that they were called that way from way back then

gives me a picture of a very diverse night elven civilization. The ones from the likes of Suramar were likely very different from the Zin'Azsahri, who in turn different from the Vash'jir lot different from the Eldre'thalas etc

judging at their skin tones, you have a bluish purple to azshara, you have near black skin tones on the night elves, grey ones, moon white ones, and purple/pink variations. Switch to the nightborne and they have 3 skin tones, black, purple and midnight blue. I wonder if regions were marked by skin tones and such.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

it really fucking annoys me that kil'jaedan, archimonde, and every other man'ari eredar except socrethar, all have american accents. listen to socrethars sexy as fuck voice, and tell me that shit ain't better for man'ari.
    when it's really good it becomes american

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    when it's really good it becomes american
    i don't get what you mean by that.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

Socrethar sounds scottish rather than russian.

Deleted
    I am an Arab, and somewhat the blood elven architecture AND speak style is very endearing to me. I mean I can get the architecture; Silvermoon reminds me of the old days of Arab great cities, and some of the current day old cities as well, like Old Damascus or Morocco. But the accent? I don't know, it still sounds endearing to me and relatable for an unknown reason as well.