Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Will gold ingots rain all over the continent if we do?.
    No, just Toblerone bars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    We all know who will play him when a movie shows up :P
    You do realise a movie about his life is a given now... and I'd bet you anything Liam Neeson will play him!

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    The man who stood up against Apartheid South Africa and the man Mandela called a brother will always be a hero in my book. He fought for Angola's and Nambia's independence. He worked with the likes of Nkurmah, Nyerere and Salesse. The man will be a hero to many generations of African and Asians.
    You do realize that for every good thing Castro did, he did a fuck ton of bad things, right? This is the guy that put gays in concentration camps and executed people by firing squad without a trial. He was cut from the same cloth as the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mao and the Kim family.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/1...052522006.html

(I am aware of the grammar issue in the title, but unless its to shorten a title, I tend to not change them from the article)
    I am going to quote a Cuban girl I once dated.

"That' MFer needs to die"

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    You do realize that for every good thing Castro did, he did a fuck ton of bad things, right? This is the guy that put gays in concentration camps and executed people by firing squad without a trial. He was cut from the same cloth as the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mao and the Kim family.
    You do realize you can say that for every world leader save for Mandela? I mean look at Reagan. He funded and created the Taliban.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

You do realize you can say that for every world leader save for Mandela? I mean look at Reagan. He funded and created the Taliban.
    That's a non-sequitur to my point about Castro. If you wish for me to condemn Reagan I will.

I think the claim that every world leader puts gays in concentration camps and executes people by firing squad without trial is a bit too outlandish for me to take on faith though.

Either way, "Other people do it too!" is not a valid defense. That does not make Castro some kind of great paragon of truth and justice.

That's a non-sequitur to my point about Castro. If you wish for me to condemn Reagan I will.

I think the claim that every world leader puts gays in concentration camps and executes people by firing squad without trial is a bit too outlandish for me to take on faith though.

Either way, "Other people do it too!" is not a valid defense. That does not make Castro some kind of great paragon of truth and justice.
    No my point is that you seem to hold Castro at an unhealthy standard not attributed to other world leader. Lets not forget that the US handed over Mandela to the aparthied government. Thatcher actively supported the White leadership against the ANC.

At the end of the day you are welcome to believe what you wish about Castro and how many horrible things he has done. But in my books when the western world was supporting the killing of African men, women and children in South Africa, Angola and Nambia, Castro was siding with the victims and the weak.

A man is a sum of his part. You discount his work in Africa and Asia has I am assuming you don't consider it of equal or significant value to what he did in Cuba. You are welcome to that decision. I frankly view his actions against colonialism as a hall-mark of his support to the innocent victims in Africa and Asia.

No my point is that you seem to hold Castro at an unhealthy standard not attributed to other world leader. Lets not forget that the US handed over Mandela to the aparthied government. Thatcher actively supported the White leadership against the ANC.

At the end of the day you are welcome to believe what you wish about Castro and how many horrible things he has done. But in my books when the western world was supporting the killing of African men, women and children in South Africa, Angola and Nambia, Castro was siding with the victims and the weak.

A man is a sum of his part. You discount his work in Africa and Asia has I am assuming you don't consider it of equal or significant value to what he did in Cuba. You are welcome to that decision. I frankly view his actions against colonialism as a hall-mark of his support to the innocent victims in Africa and Asia.
    Your point is total nonsense. You haven't even asked me what my opinion is on other world leaders, so what gives you the right to say that I hold Castro to a standard that I do not hold other world leaders to?

To paraphrase Stannis Baratheon, the good that someone does does not wash away the bad, nor the bad the good. Castro can have done good things for some people while still being a horrific human being.

7+ Year Old Account
    He was one of the main persons of the outgoing epoch. The history of the revolution Castro and Che Guevara made is very romantic and honest. The revolution from below, having at the beginning a couple of dozen soldiers, they still overthrew Batista. Nothing to do with the modern revolution taking place for the money / made by other countries. A legendary figure. RIP.

Your point is total nonsense. You haven't even asked me what my opinion is on other world leaders, so what gives you the right to say that I hold Castro to a standard that I do not hold other world leaders to?

To paraphrase Stannis Baratheon, the good that someone does does not wash away the bad, nor the bad the good. Castro can have done good things for some people while still being a horrific human being.
    And you are welcome to think his actions in South Africa, Namibia and Angola do not have as much significance as his actions in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    You do realise a movie about his life is a given now... and I'd bet you anything Liam Neeson will play him!
    That's why i said it :P As soon as someone like him dies, instant Hollywood.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

And you are welcome to think his actions in South Africa, Namibia and Angola do not have as much significance as his actions in Cuba.
    It's like talking to a brick wall.

I am not saying that any good he did does not matter. I am saying that despite that, he is still a piece of shit.

If I push a kid out of the way of a car, and then chop up a different kid with a hack saw, I am still a piece of shit despite the fact that it's a life for a life.

I am not saying that any good he did does not matter. I am saying that despite that, he is still a piece of shit.

If I push a kid out of the way of a car, and then chop up a different kid with a hack saw, I am still a piece of shit despite the fact that it's a life for a life.
    I wouldn't put Castro in the same category as the likes of Stalin, Hitler or the Kim's.

People/leaders like Castro are in some ways similar to the leaders of Iran, both had to deal with possible US backed coups and assassinations. This effects people in not the best ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assass...Later_attempts

If you know that the US came up with plans that probably included throwing the kitchen sink at you this will make you paranoid.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    None of his actions were based on humanitarian reasons. Everything he did was to fight on the side of marxists guerrillas and armies to spread the communism in Africa.
    It's not different, in any way, of when USA invade another country do spread democracy and freedom.

You can clearly see when someone is politically indoctrinated, when they create a whole rhetoric to defend a democide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I wouldn't put Castro in the same category as the likes of Stalin, Hitler or the Kim's.

People/leaders like Castro are in some ways similar to the leaders of Iran, both had to deal with possible US backed coups and assassinations. This effects people in not the best ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assass...Later_attempts

If you know that the US came up with plans that probably included throwing the kitchen sink at you this will make you paranoid.
    He already hated US even before the assassination attempts.

Yes it is like talking to a brick wall. Because you fail to grasp a simple truth. You think all he did was bad. Your example is that of pushing a kid out of the way and them chopping up a different kid.

What in reality is an adequate example is saving hundreds of kids from apartheid, torture, abuse and massacres and in turn killed a few dozen and tortured a few dozen others.

And again the brick wall that you are, I have quite openly stated that you are welcome to believe what you wish. You consider his actions in South Africa supporting Mandela, the fight in Namibia and Angola insignificant vs what he did in Cuba.

You are welcome to believe that. African, Asians and millions of people world wide consider Castro a hero for his actions in support the freedom of innocent people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    None of his actions were based on humanitarian reasons. Everything he did was to fight on the side of marxists guerrillas and armies to spread the communism in Africa.
    It's not different, in any way, of when USA invade another country do spread democracy and freedom.

You can clearly see when someone is politically indoctrinated, when they create a whole rhetoric to defend a democide.

- - - Updated - - -

Says you. That is because you are indoctrinated. After all that is why you would consider the ANC and Mandela Marxist or Communist. Cuba under Castro has run thousands of humanitarian operations. An example is the Pakistan Earthquake of 2005. Cuba did more than the US did for Pakistan and Pakistan at that time was the US's number 1 ally in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He hated the government that supported a puppet leader that was selling out his country? Is anybody surprised that people don't like the US government when American intrest comes as the expense of other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    This is the worst thing to happen all year. The US could learn a lot from him and Cuba.
    Like locking up people just because they are gay? Thought you lefties were the champions of gay rights yet you worship trash like him!

Yes it is like talking to a brick wall. Because you fail to grasp a simple truth. You think all he did was bad. Your example is that of pushing a kid out of the way and them chopping up a different kid.

What in reality is an adequate example is saving hundreds of kids from apartheid, torture, abuse and massacres and in turn killed a few dozen and tortured a few dozen others.

And again the brick wall that you are, I have quite openly stated that you are welcome to believe what you wish. You consider his actions in South Africa supporting Mandela, the fight in Namibia and Angola insignificant vs what he did in Cuba.

You are welcome to believe that. African, Asians and millions of people world wide consider Castro a hero for his actions in support the freedom of innocent people.

Stop telling me what I think and believe and listen to what I'm fucking saying.

I do not consider Castro's actions in South Africa supporting Mandela, the fight in Namibia and Angola insignificant vs what he did in Cuba. They do NOT excuse what he did in Cuba though.

People are capable of doing good and bad things. A hero is not someone that knowing does bad things though, period.

Let me use a more simple analogy, so maybe you will understand my moral philosophy. If someone were to cure cancer, donate $10 trillion to charity, rescue people from burning buildings and create a lasting world peace, if that person then decides to rape a little boy behind closed doors, that person is a piece of shit in my eyes. I acknowledge the good they did with saving millions of lives and creating world peace, but they are still a horrible human being.

It is not a matter of scale, of significance vs insignificance. Do you understand now, or are you going to obtusely copy/paste the same trash to me?

People are capable of doing good and bad things. A hero is not someone that knowing does bad things though, period.
    If you really feel like this you must be pretty damn misanthropic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If you really feel like this you must be pretty damn misanthropic
    Opposite actually. I'm a perpetual optimist and humanist. That's why I don't make excuses for people doing evil shit.