Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    Place your bets.
    1 Islamic terrorism
    2 nazi
    3 sjw with mental breakdown
    4 clowns
    Well the attacker was Somali, that leans toward terrorism.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It feels like there is a shooting every day. Why is this?
    No different than any other time in history, news just spreads much more quickly thanks to the internet. Media just plays it up to keep everyone in a perpetual state of fear and paranoia to keep views up. When there's 300 million plus people in the country there's gonna be a few bad apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Do you have any evidence to back that up other than how you "feel" about it? Because everything i have ever read, every study thats been done, has shown that the more guns there are in any situation, the more likely you are to die of gun-related causes.
    Yes. If guns are not allowed, and there is no security, it becomes a target for terrorism. Why do you think these stories so often happen in gun free zones? It's plainly obvious when so many shootings happen in gun free zones, and very few happen in areas with heavy security.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I bet you have and you just don't notice.
    Keep in mind we might live in very different areas. Gun free zones are extremely rare where I live, since liberals are rare where I live.

I mean, they put up signs, obviously. Otherwise you would not know guns are banned. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    no thats definitely not what i was hoping for. I'm bracing for the cry babies and apologists to come out of the woodwork here myself.

You may be misunderstanding my motivations. i'm not in a tizzy about this...I was more hoping it was a michigan fan so i could laugh at the sports nuts but i was let down.
    Harbaugh's Revenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    No different than any other time in history, news just spreads much more quickly thanks to the internet. Media just plays it up to keep everyone in a perpetual state of fear and paranoia to keep views up. When there's 300 million plus people in the country there's gonna be a few bad apples.
    Except that it seems to happen more for the 300 million than the other 7 billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another knife attack that resulted in exactly zero deaths? Guess it's a good thing this guy didn't have more effective weaponry.
    Eat yo vegetables

Except that it seems to happen more for the 300 million than the other 7 billion.
    I realize privileged first-world racists like yourself don't care about Africa and/or Africans, but a large number of the other 7 billion would like a word.

Black lives matter, Tennisace. Even the ones that speak different languages and live in wartorn regions you'll never visit lest it be from the safety of an imgur slideshow.

Okay that's not evidence you know. You saying "Why do you think" and "It's plainly obvious" aren't evidence, they are just your feelings about the state of things.
    Ok. What do you make of the FACT that gun free zones are often the locations chosen for terrorism, over high security areas? How is this feelings? I mean, any discussion is feelings, I guess, if you want to devolve that far down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Yes. If guns are not allowed, and there is no security, it becomes a target for terrorism. Why do you think these stories so often happen in gun free zones? It's plainly obvious when so many shootings happen in gun free zones, and very few happen in areas with heavy security.
    The majority of high fatality shootings do not occur in gun free zones.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Do you have a source that refutes my fact? The sheer number of university shootings is going to make your math difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a source that refutes my fact? The sheer number of university shootings is going to make your math difficult.
    Sure, I have a source that refutes your conjecture:

A review conducted by Klarevas of the 111 high-fatality mass shootings (six or more victims murdered) that occurred in the U.S. since 1966 found that only eighteen have taken place, in whole or in part, in a gun-free zone or gun-restricting zone. (Page 10 of the PDF)
    Eat yo vegetables

Is there a reason you're using high fatility instead of mass shootings as your measure? I think the hot-topic in America isn't the people who go kill someone that wronged them, a cheating wife, a drug deal gone wrong, to rob someone of something... it's about these mass shootings that target random people who are innocent, who the killer doesn't know, doesn't want anything from, who is just a pawn. The Obama administration has tried to tie them all together, a guy that kills his cheating wife and her new boyfriend is no different than 14 kids in a kindergarten gunned down by a mentally retarded teen.

Tijuana is right that if you look at "random non-targeted terrorism", the target is always a very soft target that is normally a gun-free zone. If you add in all "high fatality" shootings, the gang turfwar numbers are going to skew gun death numbers away from gun-free zones. Although, Chicago could be counted as a gun-free zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Is there a reason you're using high fatility instead of mass shootings as your measure? I think the hot-topic in America isn't the people who go kill someone that wronged them, a cheating wife, a drug deal gone wrong, to rob someone of something... it's about these mass shootings that target random people who are innocent, who the killer doesn't know, doesn't want anything from, who is just a pawn. The Obama administration has tried to tie them all together, a guy that kills his cheating wife and her new boyfriend is no different than 14 kids in a kindergarten gunned down by a mentally retarded teen.

Tijuana is right that if you look at "random non-targeted terrorism", the target is always a very soft target that is normally a gun-free zone. If you add in all "high fatality" shootings, the gang turfwar numbers are going to skew gun death numbers away from gun-free zones. Although, Chicago could be counted as a gun-free zone.
    The specific sources I was referencing defines "high fatality shootings" as 6 or more victims murdered. Honestly, there's always going to be a problem in defining what constitutes a mass shooting. The fact remains that in instances where 6 or more people were shot, the existence, or non-existence, of a gun free zone, seems to have made almost no impact at all on the shooters decision.
    Eat yo vegetables

I'll bet he got frustrated by all the people putting THE before Ohio State University....
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

The specific sources I was referencing defines "high fatality shootings" as 6 or more victims murdered. Honestly, there's always going to be a problem in defining what constitutes a mass shooting. The fact remains that in instances where 6 or more people were shot, the existence, or non-existence, of a gun free zone, seems to have made almost no impact at all on the shooters decision.
    Gun free zones didn't exist in 1966, when your statistic starts. Is the original source biased or did you just roll with what you could google?

Well I don't know about other countries because I don't live there but I'm sure they have their own problems and they probably manifest in different ways. Then you have countries where it's MUCH worse but it's not reported on as if it's a world news worthy occurrence because it's actually an every day occurrence or maybe it's not even reported on because their government just doesn't care or isn't capable of doing anything about it, like Brazil for example or Mexico even where there's people having their heads chopped off with machetes on a daily basis.

All I'm is saying is don't buy into the idea that all Americans are homicidal gun crazed murderers. I'd take it more as there's so few tragedies happening that when something does happen it's a huge deal that everyone and their mother knows about it within hours. Your 7 billion figure is pretty laughable anyway. How many of those billions of people are condensed into tiny countries? Countries like India where there's rampant rape and murder and horrible living conditions, a country where in some places the water is so polluted that it's full of garbage and rotting bodies. Or maybe I'm generalizing, just like European people seem to love to do with America.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Well I don't know about other countries because I don't live there but I'm sure they have their own problems and they probably manifest in different ways. Then you have countries where it's MUCH worse but it's not reported on as if it's a world news worthy occurrence because it's actually an every day occurrence or maybe it's not even reported on because their government just doesn't care or isn't capable of doing anything about it, like Brazil for example or Mexico even where there's people having their heads chopped off with machetes on a daily basis.

All I'm is saying is don't buy into the idea that all Americans are homicidal gun crazed murderers. I'd take it more as there's so few tragedies happening that when something does happen it's a huge deal that everyone and their mother knows about it within hours. Your 7 billion figure is pretty laughable anyway. How many of those billions of people are condensed into tiny countries? Countries like India where there's rampant rape and murder and horrible living conditions, a country where in some places the water is so polluted that it's full of garbage and rotting bodies. Or maybe I'm generalizing, just like European people seem to love to do with America.
    You have to understand the position of privilege and deep-seeded racism that Tennisace posts from. For a champagne activist, Brown lives only matter when they're for internet points.

That's a pretty uh, interesting criticism of the study.
    It was the first thing to jump out, to be honest. You just didn't think about it because you were preoccupied with winning an internet argument.

Did we get to page 7 without notice this was not a mass shooting, that it was in all likelihood a free range jihadist car-and-knife attack, that the most notable involvement of firearms was in putting the rabid animal in question down?

10+ Year Old Account
    Gun free zones didn't exist in 1966, when your statistic starts. Is the original source biased or did you just roll with what you could google?
    Right. Because federal and state laws governing the carrying of firearms is a relatively new phenomena... Are you even serious with this?

It's also funny (biased) when people proclaim that a college campus is a "gun free zone", even though they have armed police/security. By definition, not making it a gun free zone.
    Eat yo vegetables