Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

People still drink and drive? Wtf is wrong with humans

There are still over thousands of deaths a year to impaired driving and and over 1000 cases a week of impired drivers being caught in North America.

What gives? Are humans really that stupid or lazy to understand that its dangerous and careless.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a really bad snowball effect where you go out and say have a beer or two and still feel fine. So you drive and everything goes off without a hitch. Then the next time you think... well maybe I can have one more? And again you drive back home no problem. This keeps going and going until shit inevitably hits the fan.

For me it took passing out in my car at a gas station and waking up to a cop putting me in handcuffs to straighten up. Fortunately he let me off with PI and not DWI

Society starts attributing value to stupid and selfish behavior and then asks itself why stupid and selfish behavior results.

im more concerned about stoners driving than a guy that drank one beer when eating lunch and drove back to work.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is humans like to think that humans are special magical creatures of supreme intellect. Alcohol is a confidence boosting drug that distorts our recognition of our own impaired state.

In reality, we're monkeys in tophats - and it's a wonder society functions as effectively as it does. Most of sociology and economic models are based not on trying to predict what rational and intelligent actors would do, given a high degree of knowledge on a subject, based on their research - instead we try to predict what an irrational idiot would do, given only a fraction of the relevant knowledge (which may even be wrong).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Because people go out, have a good time and get drunk, but maybe they feel fine, they think there is nothing wrong with their hand-eye coordination, and they don't have any other way to get home, so they go, "fuck it, I'm driving home, it's only a couple miles and I'll be fine."

My ex was like that and I gave her shit about it every time she did it. Thank God she doesn't drink much these days, especially since she has our son most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    im more concerned about stoners driving than a guy that drank one beer when eating lunch and drove back to work.
    There are very few people who would consider that drinking and driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    About 2 weeks ago my friend had to drive slightly drunk because our DD ended up getting smashed. People usually don't plan for this. When you drink it doesn't start hitting you until a half hour later for some people. So they just keep fucking going. Some people also can't even think straight when they're drunk. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's okay. It's not acceptable. You shouldn't do it. Call a cab. Call an uber, or a Lyft. There's usually a lot of them going around at night looking to make easy money off drunk people who can't drive home.

I drive faster when I drink. My favorite spot has a points limit now though. Saves me money.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    People drink a couple of beers, then take the car and nothing happens, so the thinking process goes like.. "hey, I can perfectly drive!"
    So they get confident..
    I know more than a couple of people who strongly believe they drive better with a drink or two, because "they're more alert".
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Why do people still drive motorcycles? Same answer: Because some people would happily trade some safety for some freedom and happiness.
    One is against the law and the other isn't though
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

"It won't happen to me-syndrome".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You shouldn't be. There's an old adage that goes something like, "A drunk driver will run a stop sign, a stoned driver will wait for it to turn green."
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I was at the pub with a friend who was obviously drunk. He tried to drive home but I took his keys and drove him home myself (I rarely drink so I had one beer over the course of 3 hours). 3 weeks later he got busted with a DUI and hes at the 60 day sober mark now.

We aren't talking about a guy who had a beer for lunch. This topic is obviously in regards to the high number of deaths due to DUI related accidents. One beer isn't going to cause you to crash and die. One hit also won't cause you to crash and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    There are still over thousands of deaths a year to impaired driving and and over 1000 cases a week of impired drivers being caught in North America.

What gives? Are humans really that stupid or lazy to understand that its dangerous and careless.
    People do illegal drugs that destroys their lives, and worse yet we have sober people who think it's ok for them to do that. I think most people are morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I only had a few. I'm fine." or "I know I'm not legally able to drive, but I can."

People can find ways to justify it to themselves no matter the situation.

Went to a party one night where a friend came in drunk, got even more drunk, went to take a piss and fell into someone else's piss, then at the end of the night drove home. He got lost, wound up at someone's lake, and then somehow found his way home and passed out in the car. Thankfully I left the party before all that happened. The reason why I left early is because everyone else wanted to hop into vehicles and drive around the neighboring hunting club. Since I was the only sober one and we all couldn't fit into one vehicle I said "bye."

Needless to say I don't go to those parties anymore......

Liquor is quicker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those organs aren't going to donate themselves. Speaking of which, have a beer. An amount over the legal driving limit. Just don't damage that liver too much, I know a guy in Kentucky that could use one.

Are we pretending this is one of the last bad things we do as a species..?